Thread: Left hand numb?

Default Left hand numb?

I’ve been playing mandolin for about 3 years now. For the past six months, I’ve started to feel some numbness in my left hand (usually my first two or three fingers) when I play. It goes away after I warm up, and stretching helps but doesn’t prevent it. As far as I can tell, I’m not doing anything hugely wrong with my wrist, elbow or shoulder in terms of technique or position.

I’m just wondering if anyone else here has experienced this and had any insight into cause or any technique that helped.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Left hand numb?

Just a thought. You may be pinching a nerve in your neck. I have this problem occasionally due to an old injury. If I stare at my mandolin neck watching where I place my fingers it will bring on numbness in my index and middle fingers. Moving my neck around and changing point of focus relieves the numbness usually. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to UsuallyPickin For This Useful Post:

dhergertgfurySuzyQ 

Yes, I suspect it has something to do with my neck. I’m trying to watch the fretboard less - that’s a good suggestion.

I get numb fingers when I have a vertebrae out in my neck.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

I’m a certified hand therapist (an advanced certification for occupational and physical therapists). The median nerve passes through the carpal tunnel in the wrist and innervates the thumb, pointer finger, long finger and part of the ring finger. The symptoms you describe are consistent with pressure on the median nerve. An orthopedic physician could evaluate this suspicion. If this diagnosis is confirmed you could seek out a hand therapist who specializes in the problems of musicians. A round of therapy could teach you manage or eliminate the problem.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BeanJean For This Useful Post:

I was experiencing just these symptoms when playing as well as gripping a steering wheel. It was a carpal tunnel issue. I was told this had much more to do with genetics than repetitive stress. The test involves sending electric shocks from your wrist to your fingertips and clocking reaction times. My left hand was severe, the right hand moderate. Some people have larger tunnels than others. They surgically cut the arch and the healing scar tissue enlarges it. Not the most fun, but you do sort of recover. It's been a year. No numbness, some soreness, but I thrash my hands playing so much. Now I'm noticing my right hand getting worse. If you take care of it early. it's arthroscopic. Wait as long as I did and it's an incision.

The thumb and first two fingers are where the symptoms are most acute.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Columbus, Georgia 90 minutes from Atlanta

Hello! I have numbness when playing mandolin that includes the thumb and 3 fingers, but the pinky finger has no numbness at all. I know that is an indication that I have carpal tunnel syndrome.
    I also wake up at night with numbness in the left hand, so I was wondering if carpal tunnel would be to blame if it also happens when sleeping. The only time I experience numbness is when playing mandolin or sleeping. The numbness goes away in less than a minute if I move my left arm around, usually lifting my arm up high. Do you have any thoughts?

Thanks.

From experience, you may be pinching your elbow when you sleep, but I have no experience with the numbness while playing. B12 vitamins may be a simple therapy.

What you do outside of playing may also be a factor. Identifying the stimulus is very helpful.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

You've got carpal tunnel. Time for a nerve conduction study. May or may not have anything to do with mandolin. Your primary care doc can order. If it was your elbow, you would be getting ulnar nerve problems in the little finger and medial aspect of your ring finger. Carpal tunnel splints can help, esp at night. If it doesn't quiet down you can get a minimally invasive carpal tunnel release by hand surgeon or neurosurgeon.
    2010 Campanella A-5
    1923 Gibson A2

That's how my CTS manifested too. I had a full release last fall and have fully recovered. Eventually the numbness will be permanent so I'd get it checked out as soon as you can. Apart from not being able to play for a while, recovery was pretty straight forward for me & I'm glad I didn't hold off any longer.

I’ve had carpal tunnel surgery and it worked well: a great fix! I think I fret faster as a result. Years later I have a pinched nerve from one of my cervical (neck) vertebra (verified by an mri). And it could also be ulnar nerve pinching at the elbow. So, multiple etiology for hand tingling: get a consult!

I've just been through this as well. My numbness is on the back of the hand, from thumb to middle finger. Nerve conductivity testing showed an issue in the cervical spine/neck area. If I understand correctly, carpal tunnel is more on the palm side. Getting old...

Thanks for this thread, glad to know I'm not the only one. I have to have a hip replacement this fall/winter (surgeon backed up due to Covid,) and I have been using a crutch to walk and have noticed my left hand is numb, which makes playing mandolin very difficult (can't feel the strings very well.) Hopefully the numbness will go away after I get my hip and can lose the crutch. I still have full strength in the hand, just numbness and tingling in all my fingers.

I was getting numbness in both hands when I was on crutches with my busted knee - ends up I was bending my wrists when I held the crutches, so once I made sure to concentrate on keeping my wrists straight the numbness stopped.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

17. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

Blog Entries

I had problems with my fingers left hand. Especially index finger. Especially after playing for more than 30 minutes. It all turned out to be related to my as yet undiagnosed type two diabetes. After getting my blood sugar under control the pain just all went away and I could play for hours.

- - - Updated - - -

Recommendation: this thread.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....