Thread: Stradolin Seeks Glue

Default Stradolin Seeks Glue

I imagine this is one of the later and less Ritzy models- possibly all laminates. The mandolin is in good cosmetic condition with original case. The main issue is the neck needs to be glued back in. Whether the glue has failed elsewhere such as the bracing is a moot point. I think at the start price, this might be an easy way to get a vintage instrument that may be okay. I have read that the tone of the all laminate instruments is reasonable.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-25-...3c22%7Ciid%3A1

Default Re: Stradolin Seeks Glue

If it goes for the minimum bid and the repair goes well, it should be a nice clean instrument for not much money.

I wonder how they came up with the starting bid?

Usually when a seller describes an instrument as a "25 inch 8 string mandolin" they usually don't know much about instruments.......in fact, I don't think I've ever said, "today, I believe I'll play my 25 inch mandolin....."

FWIW

Some sellers mention that the instrument is wood which is handy to know. This is an eight string mandolin but the blurb is helpful as it mentions two are missing. However, if you want a 26 inch mandolin, then this one is not for you.

I would imagine that it is a newer variant of this Stradolin Jr- cheaper tailpiece but similar and I would guess from the 50s. https://jakewildwood.blogspot.com/20...-mandolin.html

That slipped neck joint bothers me. If a dovetail it shouldn't have slipped like that unless the dovetail broke. Otherwise, not sure how it's held in there. Might be an easy fix, but not sure.

FWIW, that's pretty much what I paid for my Californian, which is an oval hole version of that instrument. It's decent and makes for a good camping, travel, or cold weather instrument. Played it outside at a festival where it was in the teens and it held up without any issues.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

I don't know what sort of neck joint is used in a Stradolin. It may not be a dovetail- I am sure somebody out there will know. I think you are right that this sort of instrument in playing order would be ideal for a more rugged lifestyle.

This thread has pictures of four of them with the backs off. Some joints are definitely cleaner than the others. There is another one open here. I don't recall seeing a neck off the body on one of these but I can make some assumptions from the images in these threads.

By the way, anything can happen (obviously) but that (the one in the OP) is the first first failed neck joint I've seen on one of these.
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Oct-18-2019 at 8:45am.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

7. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

I suppose anybody who was interested in bidding might ask the seller if the neck comes out completely and if some photos could be taken of the joint and neck to ascertain any extra work that might be required. The seller makes the point that it is any easy fix- some more photos might back up this assertion.

Other than an interest in the genre I don't see much I'd buy there. The case is nothing to write home about, the tuners are not exceptional and the tailpiece isn't all that desirable. It might be a fun project but after you buy it and ship it there's not much there.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

A few years ago I picked up a similar vintage Strad. The neck was totally loose from the body, so it was a project. I reset the neck and it played pretty good.
    Living’ in the Mitten

That is not a dovetail. I don't know what you call it, but it's a simple square that fits into the slot. I bought one just like this and it was very easy to glue the neck back in. Sold it long ago.
    Cary Fagan

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Fagan View Post
    That is not a dovetail. I don't know what you call it, but it's a simple square that fits into the slot. I bought one just like this and it was very easy to glue the neck back in. Sold it long ago.
    That's what I suspected from the pictures in the original post. Thanks. Do you know if you posted pictures of the neck out of the body? I'd love to link to that if you did.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

I repaired one of these last year. It's a simple mortise and tenon joint. On the instrument I repaired, the neck had shrunk slightly and the glue in the joint was sticky. I cleaned out all the old glue, fit a shim to close the gap due to shrinkage, and re-glued with hide glue. Just saw it last month, and it was holding up great.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5201.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	545.8 KB 
ID:	180643  

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Max Girouard For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Max Girouard View Post
    I repaired one of these last year. It's a simple mortise and tenon joint. On the instrument I repaired, the neck had shrunk slightly and the glue in the joint was sticky. I cleaned out all the old glue, fit a shim to close the gap due to shrinkage, and re-glued with hide glue. Just saw it last month, and it was holding up great.
    Perfect, thanks.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

It deserves to be repaired and played again, but, there is a ceiling to what you can put into one of these, IMHO.

Certainly has a lot more character than a Rogue, for example.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    It deserves to be repaired and played again, but, there is a ceiling to what you can put into one of these, IMHO....
    I'm not sure if there is a ceiling to what you CAN put into one but there is certainly a ceiling as to what makes sense to put into it. The only factor I see that could change that would be if it had personal value such as being a family heirloom. I think if I ran into this at a garage sale for $25.00 I'd be tempted. I'm not even remotely interested at the current price plus the shipping. YMMV.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

18. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

FIDDLES with STRADOLINS your_diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    I'm not even remotely interested at the current price plus the shipping. YMMV.
    Easy fix. I've run across two like this. My more than competent repairman charged $25 to fix them ...while it's not the finest Stradolin, at $110 (if you can do the repair yourself) it will sound better than just about anything out there in that price range. Yes, I would rather have a solid wood Stradolin but I'm sure there is a guy out there who would be very happy with this.

Thanks for the photos and links. I knew there was a thread showing neck joints, but couldn't search while at work today.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Maybe it's just my eyes, but it looks to me that the tailpiece wasn't installed in a proper line with the fretboard. If so, it should be moved and reinstalled.

I ran into this years ago with an old Osborn. Moving the tailpiece wasn't hard, and everything worked better.

22. The following members say thank you to rickbella for this post:

I repaired one just recently. Yes, it had a joint exactly as Max pictured. The fit was really sloppy. Just regluing it seemed futile, especially since I like using hide glue. I found a Youtube video showing how to convert the joint to a dovetail. It went very well. It also allowed me to fix the neck alignment and increase the neck angle a little. I'd attach a picture, but have no idea how to do that.

Another way to look at it is that these were quickly made factory instruments. A squirt of glue and a clamp overnight held the neck on just fine for 60-70 years. No reason to think another squirt and clamp job wouldn't last another 60-70 years.......

Sometimes we tend to overthink a repair, basically armchair lutherie, IMHO. Sure, you can repair it to last 300 years if you want to, but .........not necessary.