Thread: A Vinaccia mandolin for export to USA ?

Default A Vinaccia mandolin for export to USA ?

This mandolino bombato I fancy as an attempt, perhaps a prototype, by the Vinaccias to penetrate the American market. Bling it up and dress up the pickguard with a freestyle rendering of the American heraldic aquila. How could that cunning marketing ploy ever fail ??

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Vin...kAAOSw0tNdAAHD

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	168.9 KB 
ID:	180925

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Default Re: A Vinaccia mandolin for export to USA ?

My guess is that it was very likely made in the States and the 'cunning marketing ploy' is actually that of the Ebay seller trying to pass it off as a Vinaccia.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    My guess is that it was very likely made in the States and the 'cunning marketing ploy' is actually that of the Ebay seller trying to pass it off as a Vinaccia.

Mick
    If indeed the mandolin was made in the States, perhaps that would suggest that the Vinaccias had established a manufacturing facility there: "The Vinaccia Mandolini of 'Merica Inc."

I think one of the Vinaccia brothers might have rented a corner of the Oscar Schmidt works in Jersey City and copied a few of their models adding the odd flourish of his own but this is not documented and may be just a flight of fancy on my part- a bit like this seller has had- not least attributing this American made mandolin to Vinaccia. Here's an OS mandolin that does not have the recessed tuners but has a nice inlay and the same tailpiece and that MOP board.

https://jakewildwood.blogspot.com/20...ade-pearl.html

Quote Originally Posted by NickR View Post
    I think one of the Vinaccia brothers might have rented a corner of the Oscar Schmidt works in Jersey City and copied a few of their models adding the odd flourish of his own but this is not documented and may be just a flight of fancy on my part- a bit like this seller has had- not least attributing this American made mandolin to Vinaccia. Here's an OS mandolin that does not have the recessed tuners but has a nice inlay and the same tailpiece and that MOP board.

https://jakewildwood.blogspot.com/20...ade-pearl.html
    Nick, that mandolin resembles a Vinaccia as much as Uncle Ben's Fuddle Duck tastes like Moët & Chandon Dom Perignon.

There's no reason it should resemble a Vinaccia mandolin as it was made by OS.

Hah!~ I love those sound holes. Looks like they were carved with a Cub Scout knife.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Hah!~ I love those sound holes. Looks like they were carved with a Cub Scout knife.
    A merit badge in Reptile Dentistry?

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig