Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mandolin Considerations -- Add to my List

Default Re: Mandolin Considerations -- Add to my List

Matt Ruhland.

2. The following members say thank you to Luna Pick for this post:

If I had even close to enough extra money, I would be considering that Gibson Goldrush that is in the classifieds.
    Follow the Flatt Stanley Incident on Facebook

Listen to original tune "When You Fly" by my old band The Kindreds

4. The following members say thank you to RobP for this post:

We have a Kimble, Clark, and Heiden in our house. They are all wonderful mandolins and are keepers. I would heartily recommend all 3 of them. As is the case, it’s alway best to try before you buy, but understand that isn’t always possible. At least get a trial period if you are ordering from a distance. Happy hunting!
    ... not all those who wander are lost ...

6. The following members say thank you to Denman John for this post:

Friend of mine is considering selling a very nice Muth F5 for about $4K through the Cafe. Canadian maker with a long wait list. I played it the other night. They are really good value.

8. The following members say thank you to bobrem for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by CombustionToad View Post
    Hi all,

I have recently been searching the classifieds and various websites looking for possibilities for my next mando. I currently have an older Weber Gallatin F and looking for something (used, not necessarily new) higher end, somewhere around the $5-6k range with some wiggle room.

I have come up with a list of mandolin builders that I am currently watching for, and would like to know if anyone has any that I should be adding or checking out. This isn't a quick process in my books, so I am just adding to a list of instruments to be watching for.

Current List:

Stiver
    Kimble
    Apitius (current favorite on the list, but they don't come around too often)
    San Juan
    Heiden...?
    Duff
    Elkhorn
    Ellis

Thanks for any info in advance. Open to general tips on looking in this range as well! I'm in Colorado so not super close to any of the big stores, but I'll get down to Denver Folklore every once in a while.
    I've heard a lot of good things about Lawrence Smart.

https://reverb.com/item/17220902-a-l...custom-a-style

https://reverb.com/item/10372035-sma...d-white-blonde

NFI
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Winn View Post
    Might be able to find a Nugget in your range or, as Hank mentioned, there're Givens' out there, too.
    Givens are possible but Nuggets—not so much, in my estimation and observation. Maybe a used Nugget Junior if you can actually find one for sale.

Add Brentrup to the list, if someone is selling a used one.

I assume that the OP is looking for a mandolin with F-holes, not oval?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Where these “What is good in...” queries can be interesting, it might be just as satisfactory to send me the money and let ME go to Elderly (or search the classifieds) and then play and send you something. It’s a deranged question for me.
    I dislike spellcheck but, here it especially “obtuse”. That should have read “strange”!
    You have asked a serious question as far as some significant instruments are concerned but, to paraphrase “Smokey the Bear”:
    “Only YOU can make the right choice”!
    My short list is really short. Anyone who has been here for a while knows who I wish I could lure out of construction retirement to make me a “Plain Jane” F-5.
    I “liked” my Stiver.
    Sorry, I’ve not been that overly impressed with the Kimbles I’ve played. Nice but, heavy for ME.
    I found the Derrington I played at Elderly (some time back) a bit “standoffish” maybe I needed to drive it a bit harder but it just didn’t grab me.
    I can hear it already “Blasphemy!” But, that just how it struck me. Might have been me that day might just not have been the right one for me.
    Instruments are as intimate as lovers and, there are only a few that truly mean anything!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett