Thread: Sarah Jarosz playing a Nugget Mandolin

Default Sarah Jarosz playing a Nugget Mandolin

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5QQFO83kgpo

I remember during an interview for the cafe a few years ago that she mentioned she had obtained an old blacktop Nugget A ala TIm O’ Brien. I didn’t hear anything about it since, but looks like she finally got around to playing out with it during the most recent Live from Here.
    Ruhland A5#68
    Lyon & Healy Style A

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reid Morsi For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Sarah Jarosz playing a Nugget Mandolin

Awesome! I was wondering when she was gonna take that thing out. Sounds pretty...

Off topic, I see you have a Stiver. My favorite mandolin of all time is a Stiver. I have two of them...

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Morsi View Post
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5QQFO83kgpo

I remember during an interview for the cafe a few years ago that she mentioned she had obtained an old blacktop Nugget A ala TIm O’ Brien. I didn’t hear anything about it since, but looks like she finally got around to playing out with it during the most recent Live from Here.

That's a great performance of the Book of Right On. I remember how Joanna Newsom's harp based music killed me when I first heard it. I should revisit her work.

Sarah had just acquired her Nugget when I spoke to her for the Cafe, HERE. It was getting a some work done, and she was super excited about it. A great time for the story - new to NYC and getting to play with many of her favorite musicians, while coming into her own musically! Love seeing her on Thile's show these days.

Last edited by BradKlein; Oct-16-2019 at 8:45am.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

That has to be a very early Nugget, like mid to late 70's. As an aside, I bought the second Ome mandolin but first A style which Mike built in 1975. When I first went to the shop to check it out it only had the Ome logo on the peghead but when I went back to buy it, it had the vine and flower inlay. Not as many flowers as the one Sara is playing, but I think it would have been the first mandolin to have the flower inlays. Tim's was being built at about the same time though.

Great performance and delivery -- singing-wise -- but that song doesn't really show what the mandolin sounds like, due to the "plinky" nature of song, IMHO.

I would like to hear the Nugget on a different song as I'm sure it is great!

7. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Agree Jim, that is a very old Nugget, Super cool to see... i wonder how thick the neck is today?

She said it was next serial# to Tim's but thinks it's a 79. I would guess earlier, like 76 but don't really know.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Growth View Post
    Agree Jim, that is a very old Nugget, Super cool to see... i wonder how thick the neck is today?
    I have an Eldora Nugget built in 1979 and the neck is rounded and not big at all. Has a flat fretboard. Great feel to it. Very easy playing.

I've always thought I drove Mike out of Colorado because I was always dropping by to bug him about how to build mandolins. Dorenac, I might have seen your mandolin on the bench.
    That Eldora shop was like magic. Mike lived in a little log cabin with the shop out back, very small. But he later mentioned how many nights they never slept because of the wind coming out of the canyon down from the divide sounding like the house would collapse at any time.

Jim my Nugget resided in your neck of the woods, that being Boulder, until I bought myself a retirement present a while back. I’ll be bringing it closer to home again when my wife and I move to Denver next month. Last winter Mike reworked the bridge on it.

Listened again with headphones. A couple notes - Sarah has the Nugget plugged in - while Thile is using that clip-on mic he favors. And Mike Elizondo's bass work is sweet. He's also music director of Live From Here. And Brit kills it on that five string. Fiddle, that is.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos