Thread: Confirmed: Correct Tone-Gard size for “The Loar” LM-310F

Default Confirmed: Correct Tone-Gard size for “The Loar” LM-310F

I am posting this for people who are thinking about buying a Tone-Gard for a “The Loar” F model.

I recently bought a cheapo “The Loar” F model - the LM-310F, their stripped down F model that has a solid carved top with laminate sides and back. I bought it to serve as a campfire instrument and to serve as a backup when I need work done on my other mandolin, which is a Flatiron Festival F (circa 2000, Gibson specs).

I have had a Tone-Gard for years for the Flatiron, so I decided to get one for my cheapo backup. I confirmed from several seller websites that the F model “The Loar” mandos - whether the back is laminate or solid wood - are 10 inches wide at the widest point on the body (perpendicular to the neck). I also measured my individual instrument and it was exactly 10 inches wide.

After trading messages with Tony Pires (very nice guy, the creator / manufacturer of the Tone-Gard), I purchased the “Vintage” Tone-Gard directly from him. It is slightlly wider than the Sunrise model. Tony was very responsive to my questions, btw, and fast on delivery.

To confirm, the Vintage Tone-Gard is a perfect fit for the LM-310F’s 10-inch wide frame and it fits in the particular case that the Mandolin Store provides for the LM-310F. After attaching it, I could hear that the instrument had an increase in volume and it was (at least for me) much easier to hold in a comfortable playing position.

Now, time to replace the tailpiece and bridge and find out if more improvement to the tone and volume of the LM-310F is possible for an economical price...

Default Re: Confirmed: Correct Tone-Gard size for “The Loar” LM-310F

Tony Pires is the genuine article. Pleasant and helpful.

Glad you found the ToneGard that fits your axe.

I have ToneGards for two mandos and two ukes.

3. The following members say thank you to V70416 for this post:

PS - just a few observations on the LM-310F itself. The neck and frets are terrific. The instrument was pitifully quiet, however, when I first received via mail. I realized after about a day that the tailpiece was touching the front on the instrument (no clearance above the wood) and worked a strip of leather under the tailpiece to bend it upward. That definitely helped the volume and resonance. The metal is fairly flimsy so I have ordered a tailpiece with a sturdier metal alloy. The metal pins in the bridge also seem a little bit flimsy. But the body of the instrument all seems fine. With a moderately better tailpiece, I think this campfire beater will end up being a fine backup instrument.

Thanks for the update, John. I have one of those and the HSC from the Mandolin Store and am very pleased with how it plays.