Thread: create TAB from standard music notation ?

Default create TAB from standard music notation ?

I have the need to create guitar TAB (or ukulele TAB) quickly from standard music sheet which I retype using MuseScore.
    Can someone give me advise about the exact steps to follow to achieve this goal, including buying some software with this capabilities. I am trying to learn to use TabEdit, but not much progress yet.
    I appreciate all the helps I can get.

Default Re: create TAB from standard music notation ?

Quote Originally Posted by kkmm View Post
    I have the need to create guitar TAB (or ukulele TAB) quickly from standard music sheet which I retype using MuseScore.
    Can someone give me advise about the exact steps to follow to achieve this goal, including buying some software with this capabilities. I am trying to learn to use TabEdit, but not much progress yet.
    I appreciate all the helps I can get.
    Hi kkmm, I'm a long time lurker and never posted anything, but have been using Musescore 2 and 3 for quite some time and thought I may be able to help you.
    TAB in this software is quite good I think, but hard to achieve if you don't know what you're doing. I used it a lot before I taught myself standard notation. I think TabEdit is much simpler but you have to pay for it.

If you have your standard notation score in front of you, right click on the stave, but make sure it's not on a note (try and gap between two notes). This will bring up a menu and select 'stave/part properties'. If you can't get this menu to appear, keep trying in different spots, but it needs to be in a space between notes. Select 'change instrument' half way down and then type your instrument in the search box below. Select for eg. ukulele and select it then click OK and then OK again. Nothing will appear to have happened. Select the EDIT menu at the top (or press the 'I' key) and select 'Instruments'. This will bring up a new window. Again on the left side search for the instrument, ukulele in this case but select 'Ukulele (Tablature) this time. Select 'Stave 1' on the right side of the window so it's highlighted and only then in the middle boxes, the 'Add Linked Stave' lights up and should be able to be selected. Click this box and you will have two stave 1's on the right. Now on the second 'stave 1' on the right, there is a menu that says 'standard'. Select this and a drop down menu will appear. You have 3 choices of the type of TAB you want; simple, common or full (there is also ukulele tab too). They just convey differing amounts of information about the TAB shown. When you have selected the type you want, click OK and a new TAB stave should have appeared under your existing notation. I hope that is what you were aiming for.

Like I said, it's a very convoluted way to get TAB's to show on Musescore, but I guess that's what you get for a free piece of software. Hope this helps. Otherwise do a search in the Musescore instructions online.

Can't Musescore export a midi file, which could be imported into TabEdit?

'By default, TablEdit imports the MIDI file into the current module. If, however, import is being made to a multiple module dialog you can easily select which module to import to by using the [<] and [>] buttons at either end of the [Module] button.'
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

I had this same issue and did a LOT of research. This is some priceless info I'm about to share......

1) Use the "PlayScore 2" app to take a pic of the notation
    2) Airdrop it to Finale
    3) Use Finale to convert it to Tab (go to Score Manager -> add instrument -> Mandolin TAB)

Done!!!
    Chris from Tucson
    2007 Heiden Artist F5 #F102
    1919 Gibson A3 #49762 (found on eBay for $15!!)
    2022 Austin Clark Octave #159
    1922 Gibson H1 Mandola #70063
    1972 Martin D-18 (modified by Bryan Kimsey)
    2024 Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

Do a websearch for "musescore3 tablature". You'll get this page

"If you wish to create tablature as part of a new score, use the New Score Wizard. If you want to add tablature to an existing score, use the Instruments dialog. Or, alternatively, you can convert an existing standard staff. See below for details."

It takes you through the alternatives pretty much step by step with lots of screen shots.

The directions from Musescore are much simpler than the Rube Goldberg methods suggested by some. They are similar to what RichA writes but I would find the Musescore directions easier to follow.

Musescore does this if you add in a new instrument and make it a TAB format rather than standard notation. StuartE's link will help you to do this. You can add in more instruments to a score as either standard or TAB (and also in treble, alto and bass staves and then you can go to the PARTS dialogue and select which parts you want to have on display. Musescore has excellent help on the site in both forum and in the online manual.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores