Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Back in action

Default Re: Back in action

Some nice tunes for me to learn on your site. I'll have to get south of the river again on one of my visits to London so we can play them.

Some nice new tunes for me to learn on your site. I look forward to playing them with you sometime - I'll have to get south of the river on one of my visits to London.

Ed. - Something peculiar happened there. I thought the first posting hadn't worked so I posted again. Anyway, no harm in repeating a good thing.

3. The following members say thank you to whistler for this post:

I only just noticed this thread.
    Welcome back Aidan!
    Bren

5. The following members say thank you to Bren for this post:

Thanks Bren. Good memories of tunes with you over the years. Hope you’re keeping well and still playing.

Aidan

Oh and the same thing goes for yourself, Mr E... Hopefully fate will conspire to allow us to have a tune or two at some point. South of the river or elsewhere... Aidan

Quote Originally Posted by Aidan Crossey View Post
    Thanks Bren. Good memories of tunes with you over the years. Hope you’re keeping well and still playing.

Aidan
    Sure am Aidan, for better or for worse . I was at a workshop run by Dagger in Aberdeen just last weekend.

Learning all the time.
    I hope.

Are you still getting out to sessions?

I managed to catch one in London last year at the Hemingford Arms in Islington.
    https://thesession.org/sessions/3891
    Bren

So, people, here we are several weeks later. And I’ve been busy recording and tabbing tunes and ting (as they say in South East London). So, just wondering, how’s this new venture landing? Any more useful observations?

Thanks again to all those kind people who’ve been supportive and constructive and - that word again! - ting. You know who you are and you’re gems, one and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Aidan Crossey View Post
    Oh and the same thing goes for yourself, Mr E... Hopefully fate will conspire to allow us to have a tune or two at some point. South of the river or elsewhere... Aidan
    'Mr. E.' - I like that. It has an air of 'Mr. E.' about it.

Good one... didn’t think of that!

Thanks for this Aidan, it was a labour of love at the time for you, all sorts of wonderful music there, so good to see it surfacing again!

That was such a fun evening in Lewisham with Ewan MacPherson, I wonder if there were any photos taken of us all?

Best wishes and well done!

Kevin Macleod

www.kevinmacleod.co.uk

Good to hear from you Kevin. It’s been a while. Not sure if anyone took any photos of the Lewisham gig - it was such a low key affair (but all the better for that!). I’m not sure that in those days I had a phone with a camera facility! But yes - some great music. And the labour of love continues, of course. Very best with fond memories. Aidan

15. The following members say thank you to kmmando for this post:

Fantastic tune Kevin and superb playing.

17. The following members say thank you to Aidan Crossey for this post:

Great tune, Kevin, and very fine playing!
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

19. The following members say thank you to John Kelly for this post:

Just a note to say that I've been doing quite a bit of work recently on the site. Added a few new tunes, redesigned the layout a little following some advice from visitors, etc.

However I'd like to take a moment to highlight some recent additions to the "exponents" section of the site which may interest some members (and not only mandolinists). This section of the site can be found at

http://theirishmandolin.com/exponent...rish-mandolin/

*Pete Strickler* playing Single Again/The Colliers/The Humours of Portal, accompanied by Charlie Branch. The first tune is one of Pete’s own. The final tune in the set is by Will Harmon. It features Pete on, variously, tenor guitar, mandolin and banjo with Charlie Branch accompanying on six-string guitar.

*Marla Fibish* has kindly donated three tracks to the "showcase" section of the site. The First Rain/An Choisir/Tommy Peoples’ (self-composed slip jig/trad slide/trad reel); Paddy Canny’s Toast/The Tempest (the first tune by the estimable and prolific tune-conjurer Charlie Lennon; Mr O’Connor/The Broken Pledge (O’Carolan tune/reel set).

(I’m also very excited to note that one of my favourite Irish mandolinists has promised to record some tunes especially for the site. She’s someone who works hard not only at developing her own extensive repertoire and amazing technique but she’s also a tireless advocate for the tunes more generally. Due to other commitments it may be a few weeks before she has time to record the tunes but I’m really looking forward to being able to showcase them.)

And please remember that I’m always delighted to feature other mandolinists who play the tunes - both to generate interest for you, the artist, from visitors to the site and also to stimulate the interest of budding mandolinists in the tunes. If you would like me to feature some of your recordings - or if you’d like to take the plunge and record for the first time - please get in touch.

One other thing for today...

I've created a section within the site to showcase some of my own compositions. I'd be interested to know what people think of these tunes. I've said a little bit in the blurb which introduces this section about the risks involved of composing tunes "in the tradition" (there's a massive irony in that phrase...) However I've lived with these tunes for some time now and I think they're worth recording for some sort of posterity but my ears are only my ears and people may hear something I don't...

Enough said... here's the link direct to this new section of the site:

https://theirishmandolin.com/origina...aidan-crossey/

22. The following members say thank you to Aidan Crossey for this post:

Well done, Aidan. Inspiring playing.

Some nice tunes there. I particularly like Farewell to the Bay and Cardiac Hill - the first one for its simplicity (I am aware that it is not actually that simple - but the basic musical concept seems simple to me) and the second one for its cheeky complexity. Cardiac Hill reminds me of the Northumbrian Pipes, in fact.

Thanks ald for the kind words. Much appreciated.

And to you whistler. I'll say a few more words about Farewell To The Bay. My son did Art at GCSE level and Drama at A Level. Often the class was set homework of creating a "response" to a particular artwork or a piece of theatre. Something which was inspired by the original. Which maybe used a similar palette. Which maybe echoed a theme. Which perhaps built on the original; took it for a walk. Perhaps the response was, in effect, an unspoken critique of the original. (Can you see where this is going?)

Well ... very many years ago I used to play in a number of sessions where at some point in the evening two or three of the players would launch into Inisheer and the rest would "pile in". A lovely tune in the hands of a competent soloist. A delightful moment of pause for reflection in the hands of a sensitive and competent group of players. But, sadly, a tune so delicate that it's vulnerable to serious injury when subjected to rough treatment by a scrum of players comprising the "sensitive-but-barely-competent" and the "competent-but-barely-sensitive". I was a member of one of those camps. Hopefully the former rather than the latter.

Anyway, Farewell To The Bay is my response to Inisheer. I wanted to write a plaintive waltz in a major key which had the same sort of feel... In fact the opening couple of notes are a direct giveaway before it starts to veer off in another direction - a different route to the same destination (hopefully).

As for Cardiac Hill. Hmmm... I didn't notice the Northumbrian vibe. (Northumbrian music isn't a genre with which I'm overly familiar.) It is a somewhat strange little tune, though. I've played it "out" a couple of times and have had mixed reactions. I think the reason I persevered with this tune is that when the patterns first suggested themselves to me they *felt* complex and (love your description!) cheeky. But in reality once you get the little bounce in the 3rd and 4th, 7th and 8th, etc bars drilled into your head and your fingers it becomes incredibly easy to play.

Anyway ... words, words, words. I'll stop before I suck all the air out of the tune by talking about it too much.

Very best and thanks for the comments. So pleased that people are getting some value out of my site.

Aidan