Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does anyone have a case like this?

Default Re: Does anyone have a case like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Loudloar View Post
    Mike Edgerton is exactly right. All you need is something that will fit in the slot with a little tab. Ain't rocket science. You'll notice that the key slot is rather thin, therefore the key must be relatively thin metal. I think you could cut material from an old credit card into the correct shape. The width of the key in my photo is a hair more than 1/2". So, if necessary you could enlarge the photo to that size for a template. But honestly, if you create a shape that will go into the lock and turn, it will successfully unlock the mechanism. I believe it's clockwise to lock and counter clockwise to unlock.

Steve

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oval Lock Saga Golden Gate.png 
Views:	94 
Size:	140.3 KB 
ID:	180556
    Well, it may not be rocket science, but for me it is like the old Vanguard days, for those of you old enough to remember the late 1950s.

I re-sized Steve's photo to true size and used it as a template. I had been given a surplus key from a friend which was the correct thickness, (0.040") and reworked the tip to the profile of the photo. If you look at the attached photo, you will see it is not perfectly the same, but pretty damn close. Should be close enough, given the supposed simplicity of this lock.

HOWEVER, it has not been successful. The key slides in the slot easily, until the tip touches the inner wall, and the paddle portion is neatly inside the chamber. But there is no sense of any engagement, and when turning there is no satisfying "click" that anything is unlocking or locking. When I do coax it into an unlocked mode, the button will slide back and forth by a quarter of an inch or so. But this is temporary. If I latch and unlatch it several times, the mechanism seems to slide back to the locked mode. Then I have to work on it to coax it open again. So something is wrong, but what?

(1) the lock could be defective from the get-go. The guy I purchased it from never secured the middle latch, just the end ones. Perhaps it never worked, even with the original key?

(2) Maybe there were more than one configuration of this type of lock, and Steve's key is not the right one? This case was made in China, and if it was copied from a Saga or whatever, they may have used different innards? Probably not likely.

(3) Maybe my key, copied from Steve's photo was not close enough? But given what he said about the simplicity of the lock, it would seem my copy should have worked.

So, where do I go from here? I would like to have the case in an un-locked mode, so I can use the middle latch. I know the easiest thing would be to grind off the hook on the lid portion, and just use the two outer latches. I do not want or need to be able to lock the case, but nor do I want to have to frig around with it every time I open it. On the other hand, I would like to use the middle latch, and it pi**es me off that as a retired mechanical engineer, that I can't get it working, despite all the good advice and help from Steve, Mike and the rest of you.

So, that's my story, at least so far.

.....Rick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1853.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	212.3 KB 
ID:	180568   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1854.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	346.1 KB 
ID:	180569  

You have plenty of key to start over and redo it. Looks like your tab is a little shorter (not as wide) as your sample key. Your lock may have a different position for the tab, start with a longer tip and try, file, try, file and see it that helps.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

In the past I've just used a simple piece of stiff wire, the end turned over into an L-shape. That's all. Just an L-shaped piece of wire. Grasp it firmly with pliers or similar, and fiddle about until by sense of touch the tip can be felt contacting the lock mechanism, a bit of a twist and the lock should operate.

If going with a key-shape, I'd tend to err on the side of making the key too large, and gradually reduce it. The important point is the long end which goes into the hole, this serves as a bearing or pivot point. Second, the tab which protrudes sideways, to operate the mechanism. Shape is not important, it only needs to be long enough and at the right height to contact the mechanism. Too short or too high or too low, it may touch but just slide by. Third, something to grip it with in order to turn the thing.

The other possibility is that the lock is just broken. That's another story but not impossible to overcome. Can you possibly slide an unwound guitar or mandolin string behind the latch and loop it back around and pull the hook away from the lock to open it? That gives you other options if it's open.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Nothing further to add in regard to the lock......

But, it did occur to me that if the medical community has similar forums with multitudes of brainstorming minds at work -- we should be able to cure cancer and other diseases in short order..........

Or, maybe the zest we freely apply to a hobby doesn't translate to other concerns......

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    And, it should go without saying -- ONCE YOU GET A KEY FOR THE LOCK, UNLOCK IT AND LEAVE IT UNLOCKED AND NEVER USE IT AGAIN!!!!

I never understood what security people think they are buying with a case lock -- a thief will steal the instrument, case and all, then break it open with a screwdriver and a hammer -- in other words -- no security AT ALL!

Every music store has some used cases in the back room with locks that had to be busted open because owners insisted on locking them and then couldn't find the key.....

Some people check instruments at the airport with the cases locked and get it back with the cases "unlocked" by the TSA......

Looks like a nice case. If you can't find a key, you can "convert" it to a 2-latch case, by filing away the little tab that locks the case. 2 latches are more than enough to hold it.........

Good luck!
    I'm with you on this one, Jeff Mando!! I have another mandolin and have never locked the case for the reasons you have given. However, the subject case, when I purchased it, was unlatched, and locked up as soon as I latched it. Have been struggling with it ever since.
    ....Rickker

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    Howie has been a member here for years. It's a small world.

If that case was sitting here I probably could find one of a dozen old suitcase keys I have hoarded over the years that would open it.
    Where are you located, Mike? Maybe I should just ship the case to you! Seriously, it might be worth the there-and-back shipping cost if you could do it.
    .....Rick

I re-sized Steve's photo to true size and used it as a template. I had been given a surplus key from a friend which was the correct thickness, (0.040") and reworked the tip to the profile of the photo. If you look at the attached photo, you will see it is not perfectly the same, but pretty damn close. Should be close enough, given the supposed simplicity of this lock.

HOWEVER, it has not been successful. The key slides in the slot easily, until the tip touches the inner wall, and the paddle portion is neatly inside the chamber. But there is no sense of any engagement, and when turning there is no satisfying "click" that anything is unlocking or locking. When I do coax it into an unlocked mode, the button will slide back and forth by a quarter of an inch or so. But this is temporary. If I latch and unlatch it several times, the mechanism seems to slide back to the locked mode. Then I have to work on it to coax it open again. So something is wrong, but what?
    Rick, Maybe you don't understand how this lock works. If the button moves it is NOT locked. You won't hear a "satisfying click". This isn't a precision mechanism. When the key is turned a little part inside slides over to prevent the button from moving. No "click" involved. When Locked the button will not move at all. When Unlocked the button will slide to the left less than 1/4". (Are you saying the the lock is unlocked and the button moves BUT after you move the button a few times it spontaneously locks and the button will no longer move?) I'm not sure how this can happen. However, these are cheap Chinese parts and the functionality is marginal, so you could be right. The biggest problem I've seen is that the alignment of the upper and lower part of the lock is poor and it seem to not want to release EVEN THOUGH it is NOT locked and the button will move properly. In that situation I find the tweaking the lid to the right as you try to release the lock will usually allow the lid to open.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Rickker View Post
    Where are you located, Mike? Maybe I should just ship the case to you! Seriously, it might be worth the there-and-back shipping cost if you could do it.
    .....Rick
    New Jersey.

Steve may have hit the nail on the head. If it isn't locked it might just be stuck.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by Loudloar View Post
    Rick, Maybe you don't understand how this lock works. If the button moves it is NOT locked. You won't hear a "satisfying click". This isn't a precision mechanism. When the key is turned a little part inside slides over to prevent the button from moving. No "click" involved. When Locked the button will not move at all. When Unlocked the button will slide to the left less than 1/4". (Are you saying the the lock is unlocked and the button moves BUT after you move the button a few times it spontaneously locks and the button will no longer move?) I'm not sure how this can happen. However, these are cheap Chinese parts and the functionality is marginal, so you could be right. The biggest problem I've seen is that the alignment of the upper and lower part of the lock is poor and it seem to not want to release EVEN THOUGH it is NOT locked and the button will move properly. In that situation I find the tweaking the lid to the right as you try to release the lock will usually allow the lid to open.

Steve
    Steve, you were right that I did not really understand how the lock works. So, I set up some good lighting, a magnifying glass and started to look closely. I could see that the key I had fashioned would engage into a thin link that was originally at rest in the 3 o'clock position. When I turned the key counter clockwise, the link would rotate freely until getting to about the 12 o'clock position, where it would hang up on something. As soon as I removed the key, the link would fall back to the original resting position. So I knew I had to get the link over center, but didn't think I could apply enough torque on the thin key to do it. But I did manage to apply enough torque so that the link stayed in its jammed position after I removed the key. The slot was too narrow to push with a screwdriver, but I filed a flat on the end of a nail file, and pushed on the link. It took a fair bit of force, way more than the key could have provided, but it moved, and then fell free, likely to the 6 o'clock positon, although I could no longer see the link. BUT THE LATCH WAS UNLOCKED!!! SUCCESS!! It now latches and unlatches perfectly now.

So, that's the story. Thanks to all for your suggestions and comments. Special thanks to Mike and Steve for getting me going and keeping me on the track. Now that the case is fixed, I can get back to playing the mandolin.

.....Rick

Very cool!
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

It’s good to see the end of a project like this!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Nothing further to add in regard to the lock......

But, it did occur to me that if the medical community has similar forums with multitudes of brainstorming minds at work -- we should be able to cure cancer and other diseases in short order..........

Or, maybe the zest we freely apply to a hobby doesn't translate to other concerns......
    Don't fool yourself. Those groups exist. But takes money as well as talk.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Quote Originally Posted by Philphool View Post
    Don't fool yourself. Those groups exist. But takes money as well as talk.
    That's the beauty of a forum like Mandolin Cafe. Money doesn't enter into it. Just people using their experience to help others solve problems, some minor - some not so minor.

That's the beauty of a forum like Mandolin Cafe. Money doesn't enter into it. Just people using their experience to help others solve problems, some minor - some not so minor.
    I agree, Jeff Mando! I don't think I could have solved the lock issue without the help of Mandolin Cafe members. And often just reading threads that others have posted can be helpful with instrument or playing issues that many of us have.

...Rickker