Thread: Capo for Ovation

Default Capo for Ovation

Hi. Newbie here so apologies if i'm in the wrong place. Can anyone advise on a capo suitable for an Ovation MCS148? I have a number of capos for banjos and mandos including Shubbs, but none seem able to hold down the strings on the Ovation. I presume the neck has an unusually narrow profile. I know that capos are not great for mandos but I just happen to be in a singing group that neds me to capo up to the 1st fret. Anybody else come across this problem?

Default Re: Capo for Ovation

Quote Originally Posted by Brumman47 View Post
    Hi. Newbie here so apologies if i'm in the wrong place. Can anyone advise on a capo suitable for an Ovation MCS148? I have a number of capos for banjos and mandos including Shubbs, but none seem able to hold down the strings on the Ovation. I presume the neck has an unusually narrow profile. I know that capos are not great for mandos but I just happen to be in a singing group that neds me to capo up to the 1st fret. Anybody else come across this problem?
    Before the Capo police arrive I will note that I just use a banjo capo on the rare times I need one. Is that fretboard radiused? That might be your issue.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Check out the little capo made by D'Addario. Works well on my mandolin with a radius neck.

Thanks to both of you guys for your replies. As far as I can ascertain the fretboard is not radiused. The width of the neck at the 1st fret (allowing for the fact it's not a measurement easy to make) is about 1.75 cm. This compares with my Fylde Touchstone Signature that looks about 2.25 cm so I suspect my problem is down to that. Most of my capos can be used on mandos, tenor banjos, 5 strings you name it (sorry capo police, blue lights on...but I have sometimes use one in order to accompany voices) It rather looks like one of the quirks of this model ("reinvented from the bottom up" sort of claptrap) and I'm a bit at a loss about how to fix it. I don't want to keep buying capos in the hope that eventually one of them will have the requisite geometry. Really silly. I'm having to use my Fylde with a little pick up that attaches to the headstock. It's not the ideal solution, to say the least.

You might try a fabricator. They could possibly modify an existing capo to you neck or make one to fit. I'm an ex fabricator so this sounds like a fairly simple project.

I remember trying a mandolin capo made by G7th. I didn't like it for myself but might work for you. I think it was this one:

https://www.g7th.com/newport-capo

Blog Entries

Many banjo capos are also labelled for use with mandolins. I have a Shubb and a Paige. Both work equally well with both mandolin and banjo, although I no longer use either of them. I carry them in my mandolin cases, just in case.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]