Thread: Strings and other musings

Default Strings and other musings

Once again I failed to recognize the need to change strings. It seemed like yesterday I changed them, but I waited until the e strings sounded funky up the neck. Didn't I just resolve not to let this happen? Anyway, I bought EXP 75s because it was all I could get so it will be interesting. But I can't go by time passing when I play three hours a day. That is a lot of hours. I think I need to change at least monthly. The EXPs sound pretty much the same as the EJ 75s I've been using. So far anyway.

I got out the Silverangel yesterday. I tidied up the studio and the case got put is some nook and forgotten. That mandolin just does things others don't. X braced with a redwood top, it purrs. There are so many reasons to have multiple mandolins, I can't begin to list them all. The A1 , Silverangel, and Arches kit are all very different. Perhaps I'd think differently if I only played one style, but I'm by nature a generalist. Anyhow, buy more. You'll like them.

I need a mandolin to slot between the SA and the Arches. Something maybe like a Big Mon, or an F9, or a Collings. I also need to buy another hanger so they hang there in arm's reach.

I was prepared for a power outage. Thought I could be happy playing by candelight . Ended up about five miles from affected areas. But I have an open mic tomorrow in a darkened town. But the venue owner has a generator in the new hotel he built next door and connected the restaurant to that power grid. It will be strange.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Default Re: Strings and other musings

Ain’t retirement grand?!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    ... I need a mandolin to slot between the SA and the Arches. Something maybe like a Big Mon, or an F9, or a Collings. I also need to buy another hanger so they hang there in arm's reach. ...
    Isn't what banjos are for???

Did you divest yourself of your MK? They at least make nice space holders, or cushions between the other mandolins; aka: backup mandolins.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

Quote Originally Posted by dhergert View Post
    Isn't what banjos are for???

Did you divest yourself of your MK? They at least make nice space holders, or cushions between the other mandolins; aka: backup mandolins.
    The MK was traded for an equal value open back banjo. It was the price I had to pay to recruit another mandolin player. I tried to refuse to take it but it was hurled through my back window while I was trying to escape.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Br1ck For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    The MK was traded for an equal value open back banjo. It was the price I had to pay to recruit another mandolin player. I tried to refuse to take it but it was hurled through my back window while I was trying to escape.
    Hmmm, gotta watch out for those banjos. I hear that in addition to people always trying to get rid of them, if banjos are stored in the presence of drums they reproduce uncontrollably.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]