Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Campanella two-point (How to make an accent on due?)

Default Re: Campanella two-point (How to make an accent on due?)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Roberts View Post
    Maybe consider taking it to a well respected luthier to have the set up checked...
    Agree, check set up/intonation. Perhaps it’s just the photo but the bridge looks a tad forward. The mandolin looks great.

Had a nice afternoon with Jim today and we had a duet of Campanellas (see below). Both of our mandolins, his the Dué, mine the A-5 are about 1 year apart in age and yet, despite the different strings, sound very similar. I think his would benefit from the medium strings and perhaps some slight adjustment of the nut. His is equally a lovely mandolin.

After that I got together with some of my other friends and we played OT music for a few hours. I rarely play mandolin for OT, never in the larger jams we have around here by we had either one fiddle, banjo and guitar or else two fiddles and banjo and the Campanella was loads of fun to play—and I could actually hear myself.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CampanellaDuet200119.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	724.1 KB 
ID:	183035
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    2018 Campanella A-5 -- 2007 Brentrup A4C -- 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin -- Huss & Dalton DS -- 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead -- '83 Flatiron A5-2 -- 1939 Gibson L-00 -- 1936 Epiphone Deluxe -- 1928 Gibson L-5 -- ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo -- ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo -- ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo -- National RM-1

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

I bought a mando online whose E strings hardly sounded. Following the advice of several people here at the cafe, I took it to a luthier and had him fiddle with the nut.

Now it plays just fine.