Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Campanella two-point (How to make an accent on due?)

Default Re: Campanella two-point (How to make an accent on due?)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Roberts View Post
    Maybe consider taking it to a well respected luthier to have the set up checked...
    Agree, check set up/intonation. Perhaps it’s just the photo but the bridge looks a tad forward. The mandolin looks great.

Had a nice afternoon with Jim today and we had a duet of Campanellas (see below). Both of our mandolins, his the Dué, mine the A-5 are about 1 year apart in age and yet, despite the different strings, sound very similar. I think his would benefit from the medium strings and perhaps some slight adjustment of the nut. His is equally a lovely mandolin.

After that I got together with some of my other friends and we played OT music for a few hours. I rarely play mandolin for OT, never in the larger jams we have around here by we had either one fiddle, banjo and guitar or else two fiddles and banjo and the Campanella was loads of fun to play—and I could actually hear myself.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CampanellaDuet200119.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	724.1 KB 
ID:	183035
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

I bought a mando online whose E strings hardly sounded. Following the advice of several people here at the cafe, I took it to a luthier and had him fiddle with the nut.

Now it plays just fine.

Yikes! A rare 2019 Dué in the classifieds here. I wonder how long it will last? That is at Acoustic Music Works in Pittsburgh.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Mmmmm, it may sit a while at that price, especially with the wide nut.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Interesting. I am not a fan of wide nuts but I know there are quite a few players who like them. I would not have gotten my A-5 if it had that. Yes price is ambitious for a second hand one but try to find another out there. I wonder what Joe is up to these days.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Recent discussion here...

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...Music-Emporium

The Music Emporium had two Campanella's, an F style and a Due, both went very quickly. The Due was priced at $8,370.oo

https://themusicemporium.com/mandoli...iversary_model
    Last edited by Charles E.; Jun-27-2020 at 8:51am.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    If the setup is low, it could be a high fret that is touching, not enough to buzz, but enough to dampen the volume. Truss rod, setup should be checked.
    That is a good point. Though I am pretty new to the mandolin I have observed it.
    This is the first mention of the issue I have seen on the forum. It might deserve a
    separate discussion.

Thanks,
    sounds_good

Blog Entries

Wow I love these violin style mando builds! They have it going on! I've never played one as of yet, but if I had one I would want a different peg head than the ones that I've seen Joe make and a pickguard in the same styling-the violin type overhang or whatever you call that?

That is a sweet looking Dué. Of course I am a sucker for 2-points and love the violin styling and vibe of the Campenellas. Please report back after you've played the peanuts out of that one!

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    Recent discussion here...

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...Music-Emporium

The Music Emporium had two Campanella's, an F style and a Due, both went very quickly. The Due was priced at $8,370.oo

https://themusicemporium.com/mandoli...iversary_model
    I think those at The Music Emporium that sold for that price were special Anniversary models and therefore carried a premium above the standard models. Just my thought and I could be completely wrong, but otherwise if the standard models are now over 8K, that’s a hefty price increase of about 2.5K. Either way, I’m sure they are worth it to the right people.

Rather than start a whole new thread, this Due just showed up in the classifieds: Campanella Due Anniversary Model. For all those who are salivating over these (get your bibs out)—I will not mention any names. Ironically this seller also has a 2-point Stiver as well.

I have my A-5 but if I were loaded...
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Sale pending on the Campanella, that didn't take long.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

15. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    Sale pending on the Campanella, that didn't take long.
    Pretty amazing but rarity/scarcity plus quality = high desirability.

BTW what added features were on the anniversary models?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

I think the wood was upgraded.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

How much further can the wood be upgraded? Mine looks like fairly flamed maple and pretty tight-grained spruce. But, what do I know?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    How much further can the wood be upgraded? Mine looks like fairly flamed maple and pretty tight-grained spruce. But, what do I know?
    It gets pretty fancy. The first two point I saw had a gorgeous One-piece back that was from a historical tree that had fallen in a storm and was subsequently salvaged.

We lost two sugar maples about 20 years ago. I wish I’d save some logs for a mandolin now. Probably wouldn’t have been that great wood anyway.

Before we lose this ad, I think the seller’s comments below are priceless but I do understand. I feel the same way about my A-5.

That's the quote that comes to mind with this mandolin - this one's hard to sell. I was in contact with The Music Emporium for almost a year asking about a Campanella Due. Every few months Andy would tell me that Joe was working on something special and that he would contact me when he was finished. This was the result and it was more than I ever expected. Maybe it's the "Private Stock" wood Joe chose for this Anniversary model. He made two Anniversary models. The F was serial number 100. The Due #101.

I owned a Due before. It was a fantastic instrument. This one blows its doors off. For a new mandolin with an Adirondack top, this mandolin is already extremely lively. Sometimes I finish playing it and hold it at arms length, admiring how beautiful it is, but also shake my head at how much fun it is to play and how great it sounds. I don't get that feeling often.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post: