Thread: Rover RM-75 F style mandolin

Default Rover RM-75 F style mandolin

I am looking at one of these as a 2nd mandolin. This one is supposed to be about 11 years old. Serial No. 1106043. I was surprised that it makes a pretty good sound and is easy to play. Just asking if any of you own one, or have played one, and what your comments are about this mandolin. The owner is looking for $300, which seems to me to be a pretty good price. Comments?
    ....Rickker

Default Re: Rover RM-75 F style mandolin

I have no experience with that mandolin, but would council you to use your own senses. If it sounds good and plays good, that is enough. There will always be people like me telling you that this or that is better, usually entailing you to spend more that you can.

I traded my well loved Michael Kelly for a banjo. It's new owner is thrilled. I spent a great deal of effort setting it up, and there is one more mandolin player in the world playing a mandolin that I wasn't using much. The down side is another banjo player frailing away....badly....
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Thanks Br1ck. That is very good advice.
    ....Rickker

I have one, love it. It is made by Saga, the same people that make Kentucky.
    "It doesn't matter how much you invest in your instrument until you invest in you and your ability..."

Kentucky KM-150
    Eastman MD-404
    Eastman MD-305
    Morgan Monroe MFM-300 (passed on to a new player)
    Rover RM-75

RM-75's get pretty decent evaluations on the Cafe. Solid woods, carved top, decent "fit & finish." Amazon reviews are all 4- or 5-star. They go for near $450, so $300's not a bad price, especially if there's a case or quality gig bag as well.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Thanks for your reply, Allen. It does include a good quality case, strap, package of new strings and seems to be in as-new condition. The owner purchased it 11 years ago, but more or less stopped playing it after a few months, going back to just playing his guitar. As you noted, it is a pretty decent instrument for the price. I was pleasantly surprised with the volume, sound quality and ease of playing. Better than I expected and better than a lot of other low-end mandolins I have had the occasion to play. Thanks again for your feedback.
    .....Rick
    1969 Gibson F5
    1960s Hofner 545

7. The following members say thank you to Rickker for this post:

I played a new one several years ago at a good shop in San Diego. I was amazed by the solid woods and overall build quality . The experienced sales guy was amazed also.