Thread: Need a safe wall mount mando holder

Default Need a safe wall mount mando holder

I have a String Swing (just a 2 prong fork) on the wall and I worry about earthquakes and eager children catapulting my beloved Collings to the floor, because there is no "gate" to hold it in. My online searches have failed assure me of which brand and style is the one to pick and also fit the mando - they all seem to say guitar holder or look rather complicated and overkill. I want something that's easy to insert and release but safe. Suggestions? Thanks.
    --Nancy

Default Re: Need a safe wall mount mando holder

Hi Nancy,

Might it be possible to rig a simple gate on the String Swing? Perhaps a very heavy elastic band, cut and tied to the right length, could stretch across the opening when you have the mandolin in place. I think something along those lines might work satisfactorily.

Good luck,

Bob
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

3. The following members say thank you to Bob Clark for this post:

Nancyf 

Maybe a small bungee chord could be attached to eye screws placed on both sides of the hanger?

I have a snug rubber band in place, and it's ok, but not quite the on-off ease I'd like. I spent thousands of dollars on a mandolin, so I can probably afford something with a fancy $20 price tag to make putting it away and taking it down easy and idiot proof. :-)

Blog Entries

Hercules works great for what you want. I have two string swing (violin, uke) and two Hercules (guitar, MT2).
    Collings MT2
    Breedlove OF
    Ellie eMando
    Schmergl Devastator

Hercules is what you want. I had many instruments on the wall, using Hercules wall mounts during an earthquake. My 1931 Duolian, not on a Hercules, fell on me while I was sleeping and woke me up. All the others were fine!

8. The following members say thank you to Marty Jacobson for this post:

Blog Entries

It's worth mentioning that any automatic gate (ie: Hercules, etc.) needs to be completely opened before you withdraw the mandolin. On stage a few years ago, my Hercules' gate didn't fully disengage and the gate caught and broke my mandolin's nut as I was withdrawing it. Very inconvenient, I had to jury-rig the nut to get it to work well enough to play, and the nut had to be replaced after the show.

This accident may have been due to my handling at the time, or it may have been that the gate got stuck, I don't know. But either way, if using one of these, make sure to watch the gate and make sure it is fully opened in the process of withdrawing the mandolin.

I admire the Hercules designs a lot, they are probably the best available; but since this incident I haven't trusted individual instrument stands at all (except for storing my double bass which is so big there is often very little choice).
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

I use the Herculese slat wall hangers. Years ago I walked into Gryphon, pointed at $100k worth of Taylor's hanging from the wall, and said I'll use what you are using. I have four electric guitars and a mandolin hanging on two boards anchored to studs. I have the longer hangers that swivel. I could probably hang three more instruments in the same space if I wanted.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    I could probably hang three more instruments in the same space if I wanted.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3B5C3054-5D9A-4D1E-ABD6-02FB6C3C7E1C.jpeg 
Views:	127 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	180388

Giddy up!
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

I use a coated hair ponytail rubberband on the violin hanger (which doubles as a mando hanger) that I have on my music stand. I don't 'store' any instruments on that hanger, but if I have to get up for some reason, I put my instrument there for safekeeping. I have it knotted on one side, place my instrument inside and then stretch the remainder of the rubberband over the bow holder side, effectively locking it in place (for the most part). I had also tied a satin bow and knotted it to facilitate the placement of the rubberband over the 'bow' holder part (bow on bow... yes, I am easily amused).

I also found this thing on eBay which does about the same as my rubberband, but it's for guitar stands. I haven't ordered it because I thought it might be a little too big:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/REPLACEMENT...gAAOSwcSFbM0Eb

Hercules; with the weight operated gate. dhergert’s problem is the only one I’ve ever heard and I believe he’s mentioned this before. I have five of them on the wall and a tripple floor stand and I’ve had no problem with any of them.

You can also buy a locking bar to prevented unwanted the attentions of the little bu**€rs!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    Hercules; with the weight operated gate. dhergert’s problem is the only one I’ve ever heard ...
    To be clear, I haven't heard others with this exact same gate-and-mandolin nut issue either, however Hercules does have a large online past history of problems related to their plastics, which my 10+ unit collection of Hercules stands all also experienced resulting in their demise. Judging from user reports in the last few years I'm guessing that Hercules has corrected their plastic problems; whether the plastics issues which my Hercules stands also experienced were related to my Hercules stand's gate not fully opening, I don't know.

My conclusion is that if you have to use a stand or a wall holder, Hercules design, including their gate design, is probably one of the best. But it's important to take the time to make sure that the gate is fully open before withdrawing the instrument.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

Thanks everyone, this was just the info I was looking for. The Hercules is on order, and I promise to be careful as I hang it up and take it down. Apparently the "new" version has some sort of add on gaskets that makes smaller-than-guitar necks fit snugly into the holder. No more nightmares of a mandolin in splinters. :-)

16. The following members say thank you to Nancyf for this post:

I'm late to the thread, but another idea might be to have a cabinet shop make you a really nice wall hanging cabinet, glass front so you can see the beautiful mandolin-inside would have a secure holding device, you could really dress this up with stained glass on the sides, etc. I know it would cost you more than a simple neck holder, but, way classy!

d

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Jacobson View Post
    Hercules is what you want. I had many instruments on the wall, using Hercules wall mounts during an earthquake. My 1931 Duolian, not on a Hercules, fell on me while I was sleeping and woke me up. All the others were fine!
    They have a lock for the front of the Hercules as well so someone can't just take it down, and they make one with larger rubber pads just for Mandolin and Uke necks. I have two and I like them for the small necks. I also use this brand for my guitars.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

Quote Originally Posted by dhergert View Post
    To be clear, I haven't heard others with this exact same gate-and-mandolin nut issue either, however Hercules does have a large online past history of problems related to their plastics, which my 10+ unit collection of Hercules stands all also experienced resulting in their demise. Judging from user reports in the last few years I'm guessing that Hercules has corrected their plastic problems; whether the plastics issues which my Hercules stands also experienced were related to my Hercules stand's gate not fully opening, I don't know.

My conclusion is that if you have to use a stand or a wall holder, Hercules design, including their gate design, is probably one of the best. But it's important to take the time to make sure that the gate is fully open before withdrawing the instrument.
    Don - Mine have been on the wall for at least 10 years and support a variety of instruments with various finishes without problem. The only instrument they don’t fit well is my Mandostrat which has an assymetrical headstock.

Of course you have to lift intsruments off rather than just grab them.

I have a Hercules at home, and mounted one on a bookcase next to where the choir stands at church. I can hang my mandolin during mass and not worry that someone will accidentally knock it over. I would not feel safe with just about any other stand or mount in that situation.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.