Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Campanella Mandolin

Default Re: Campanella Mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by Jill McAuley View Post
    Mary was that your Girouard Concert oval A with the Port Orford cedar figured top that just sold at TME?
    Yes. Gorgeous thing, wasn’t it? But I bought the G5 and a two point over the last year. Something had to give and I am playing the Toole oval. Someone got a great mandolin. Lol, maybe it was Paul….
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

2. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    Yes. Gorgeous thing, wasn’t it? But I bought the G5 and a two point over the last year. Something had to give and I am playing the Toole oval. Someone got a great mandolin. Lol, maybe it was Paul….
    A friend emailed me and sent the link to the TME listing, asking what I thought of it but with the time difference by the time I woke up and read the email the Girouard was gone - luckily the friend ended up buying it - I would've felt awful if they'd waited for a reply from me and missed out on it!
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Great! I’m sure they will be very happy.

I don’t usually use an arm rest on any of my other mandolins but, this one Joe makes works so perfectly on his mandolins...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7F024BC7-78D6-44BB-9A02-879B7FE48A0C.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	863.8 KB 
ID:	202929

6. The following members say thank you to Demetrius for this post:

Mary, I did play the Dude. It was a stunner. It was deep and dark. I felt like I would need to spend a while with it to really know its depths. The Campanella seemed to where it's heart on its shoulder, which with the pricetag was more inclined to take my money on that day. (Unfortunately I was too slow)

Quote Originally Posted by Demetrius View Post
    I don’t usually use an arm rest on any of my other mandolins but, this one Joe makes works so perfectly on his mandolins...

Name:	7F024BC7-78D6-44BB-9A02-879B7FE48A0C.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	863.8 KB 
ID:	202929
    I know! I’ve written him to see if I can order one for mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Levine View Post
    Mary, I did play the Dude. It was a stunner. It was deep and dark. I felt like I would need to spend a while with it to really know its depths. The Campanella seemed to where it's heart on its shoulder, which with the pricetag was more inclined to take my money on that day. (Unfortunately I was too slow)
    The good news is that my beloved has given me permission to buy the Dude. The bad news is that I have to play mandolin as well as the player in the demo video first.

I agree and I also own a Dudenbostel armrest (but no Dude mandolin BION) which I put on my Brentrup. Joe's is excellent and beautifully sculptural. Of course he may be annoyed with me for promoting these.

Name:	campanella-armrest-top.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	202932 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	campanella-armrest-side.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	130.3 KB 
ID:	202933
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

As someone who doesn't even like to use a shoulder rest when playing fiddle, I can live without the armrest.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

My A-5 came with it. I don’t know of the original owner ordered it directly from Joe. In any case it was the first mandolin I ever owned that had one. I can live without it but like the look. OTOH I do much prefer both a chin and shoulder rest to play fiddle.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Paul Wheeler
    Greenfield, NH; formerly Jericho and St. Albans, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    Nope. Paul is sitting tight for a new octave mandolin from Macdara O Faolain, hopefully to be completed before year-end.

But it's nice to find myself considered a "usual suspect"! -- Paul
    Last edited by twaaang; Aug-27-2022 at 6:19pm. Reason: afterthought
    He joyously felt himself idling, an unreflective mood in which water was water, sky was sky, breeze was breeze. He knew it couldn't last. -- Thomas McGuane, "Nothing but Blue Skies"

14. The following members say thank you to twaaang for this post:

Probably one of the classiest looking mandolins...

Name:	56080AED-873E-4E1A-B347-AF317C2472B9.jpeg 
Views:	123 
Size:	269.3 KB 
ID:	202981
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E8C867DD-6F60-4094-B1C8-B37AF19CDEFB.jpeg 
Views:	86 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	202980  

Probably one of the classiest looking mandolins...

Name:	56080AED-873E-4E1A-B347-AF317C2472B9.jpeg 
Views:	123 
Size:	269.3 KB 
ID:	202981
    WOW. Beautiful.

A 2021 Campanella Due hit the classifieds today at Elderly. Let’s see how long it takes for someone to grab it.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Reading this thread with some interest. Since '94 I have played bass for Dick Staber, perhaps best known for his time with Del McCoury or his wonderful Rounder album Pickin' Round the Cookstove. He bought the very first Campanella prototype directly from Joe. He has recorded extensively and performed with this beautiful instrument but he takes great care of it. Dick just told me he has it on consignment at The Music Emporium. This is a cool opportunity to get a rare instrument that has been played by a great musician.

I believe that sold a while back

It's surprising to me that the one at Elderly is still for sale.