Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Ceccherini" Bowl Back Mandolin on eBay

Default Re: "Ceccherini" Bowl Back Mandolin on eBay

Thanks, Peter. I agree: the only thing one can make out with any confidence in the Sparks photo is the scratchplate shape, but this is of course common between Ceccherini and De Meglio. Sparks does refer to him playing a Ceccherini, but whether that is the instrument in the photo, who knows. The photo is said to have been taken in London in 1894, published in "Banjo World" in 1896. I attach a slightly better scan.

Francia was indeed very young when he became famous. Sparks says he was only 17 when he won a gold medal at the Genoa concourse in 1892, one of the seminal events marking the start of the mandolin craze of the 1890s. Sparks also says that sometime before his departure to London in 1894 (i.e. before he turned 20), he played a command performance in front of Queen Margherita of Italy, which is presumably the reason for the billing as "Mandolinist to the Queen of Italy". Thus, even in 1901 he was still only around 26 -- presumably his beard is intended to make him look a bit older.

Martin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Francia Sparks.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	181594  

2. The following members say thank you to Martin Jonas for this post:

Default Re: "Ceccherini" Bowl Back Mandolin on eBay

Martin, I see you are using good info sources skillfully.
    I have been tempted to get the Sparks book, but its price is kind of steep.

I have often wondered why the De Meglio mandolins became such a hit (presumably a commercial success as well) in UK ? Perhaps the Ceccherini shop in Naples followed a similar success story, albeit on a smaller scale, in the wake of the De Meglios flooding the Land of Albion with their peculiar looking mandolins.
    What gave rise to that De Meglio/Ceccherini United Kingdom connection ? Was the "connection" kicked off, or just aided by promotions and endorsements by influential mandolin virtuosos such as Francia ? Why weren't the Vinaccias or the Calaces partaking in that sort of a deal ? Perhaps their mandolins were too expensive/exclusive ?

4. The following members say thank you to Peter K for this post: