Thread: On the search for a fingerboard

Default On the search for a fingerboard

Hello there,

I've been looking around for a radiused fingerboard and had a couple of questions:

First off, I don't really have the tools or setup to radius and slot my own so I was hoping to buy on. I purchased the compound radius one from Stewmac but wasn't happy with the quality (too thin with slots cut too deep.)

That leaves me with LMII, but all the mandolin fingerboard they offer don't come radiused. It looks like my only option is to purchase classical guitar fingerboard and size it down to my needs.

Any thoughts or better ideas? I don't mind doing this, just want to make sure it doesn't sound crazy before I spend the money

Default Re: On the search for a fingerboard

A google search will turn up other suppliers.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

LMII will radius fretboard for you (you specify radius) for a reasonable additional charge, at least they did a couple of years ago. Also you have a choice ofwood quality depending on budget and your needs. I've been extremely happy with the mandolin fretboards I used both ebony and rosewoods.
    Dave
    Heiden A, '52 Martin D-18, Taylor 510, Carlson Custom A with Electronics

I was going to suggest LMII as well, but I just checked and it looks like the smaller fingerboards advertised for mando/uke do not have radiusing as an option--maybe because those blanks are only 1/4 thick to start off.
    I looked at a 5/16 steel string fingerboard, and that one did come with radiusing as an option. You could always order the larger steel string fingerboard blank then have them radius it and slot it to a mandolin scale length. It will cost more, but you'll have enough unslotted material left over to make a nice matching pick guard.

Mandolin & Mandola maker

Try Randy Allen. I got some radiused fingerboards from him a few years ago.
    Peter Coombe - mandolins, mandolas and guitars
    http://www.petercoombe.com

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    I was going to suggest LMII as well, but I just checked and it looks like the smaller fingerboards advertised for mando/uke do not have radiusing as an option--maybe because those blanks are only 1/4 thick to start off.
    I looked at a 5/16 steel string fingerboard, and that one did come with radiusing as an option. You could always order the larger steel string fingerboard blank then have them radius it and slot it to a mandolin scale length. It will cost more, but you'll have enough unslotted material left over to make a nice matching pick guard.
    That's a good call and what I was leaning towards - Just wanted to make sure it wasn't too out of the ordinary

Strange I was sure I got FB's from LMII a few years back that were thicker than 1/4" and I paid them extra to have them deep slotted and radiused to 12". But maybe I got them from some other supplier. I remember I even thinned them down on the bottom with the Safety-Planer as they were thicker than I wanted.
    Dave
    Heiden A, '52 Martin D-18, Taylor 510, Carlson Custom A with Electronics

Call LMI directly.
    However, It really ain't a big thing to radius a mandolin fretboard. Its not nearly as much work as doing a guitar fretboard. Radius before you cut the fretslots. I think you should try it. Just buy a couple budget blanks and give it a shot.

9. The following members say thank you to Wrnchbndr for this post:

not sure where you live(in USA?), but you might check with some of the mandolin luthiers in the "builders" subforum here on the Café. I'd think some of them would supply you with exactly what you want spec wise for a reasonable cost.

immediately in my mind was Walter Johnson who is "June" mandolins. I think he is in South Carolina.
    http://www.junemandolinsandguitars.com/

Stew Mac sells compound radiused Ebony boards 7.25” at the nut 9.5” at the 7th and 10” at the twelfth. These are expensive and StewMac doesn’t custom make your board like LMI. You fill in a questionnaire for wood type, scale length, number of frets and flat or radiused. I just got a nice deal on a couple African Blackwood flatboards from them. The sky’s the limit with LMI.
    "A sudden clash of thunder, the mind doors burst open, and lo, there sits old man Buddha-nature in all his homeliness."
    CHAO-PIEN