Thread: Thomann tenor

Default Thomann tenor

Hey there guys. I have been looking around and have found this nice acoustic tenor:
    https://www.thomann.de/intl/thomann_...3D%3D&reload=1

The one review on Thomann seems really positive, and it seems cheap. The only thing that concerns me is the wide neck and the tuning. Has anyone bought this guitar? Thank you.

Default Re: Thomann tenor

I cannot speak specifically about Thomann's tenor guitar, but I can speak a bit about Thomann's instruments.
    I have a Thomann Irish Bouzouki.
    "and it seems cheap"
    Yes. it is. Like my bouzouki, it will not be the highest quality instrument, by any means.
    However, if you want to find out if you like an instrument without breaking the bank, I think that Thomann is a good option.
    My experience with Thomann has been very positive.

The only downside I had was that I had to be patient.
    My bouzouki was stuck in customs in Germany for 3 weeks and then stuck in customs in Chicago for another 3 weeks.
    There was no shipping damage or any other problems.

Joseph Baker

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

I think they have a very wide neck, at 43 mm that is 10mm wider than a Blueridge.

Nylon strings! Is it a tenor or a large Uke?

I’ve bought stuff from Thoman on a couple of occasions and have no complaint about their service.

5. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

It's a uke as far as I can see.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Hmmmm thanks for the advice guys. I am having a difficult decision here, as the Blueridge is probably a better guitar, but in my area costs three times as much as the Thomann. What about the Ibanez tenors?

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

I don’t know where you live but I guess the age old analogy of “you get what you pay for” applies in most places!
    Thing is, that guitar has a wide neck and a 22.5” scale but, that does not mean you can’t play it, if you practice and adapt I am sure it would be a fun instrument.
    Of course I don’t know what tuning you would prefer or what styles of music you would like to play?
    The Blueridge is a really nice tenor guitar that is hard to beat and although more expensive might well be better value however if you just want to strum a few chords every now and again, a giant ukulele might be Just what you want.

Registered User Matt Hutchinson's Avatar

The Vintage Viaten looks like an interesting option. Probably more suited to people wanting a tenor as a mandolin with a deeper range (rather than wanting something tuned like a mando that sounds like a guitar...if that makes sense!)

Here's a review

They're not expensive, at least here in the UK - https://www.gak.co.uk/en/vintage-via...-guitar/113133

I've played and owned all three of them at some point (Blueridge is the only one I have kept). Generally Thomann offers decent instruments considering their price, but they do need setting up. However, I would avoid this tenor guitar. The neck is too wide and the tuning is unusual (Adgc). I bought it because I thought it would be interesting to try nylon strings, but to me it didn't sound great. I would recommend saving up for a Blueridge or get a deal on a pre-owned one. The Vintage is okay, better than the Thomann, but it's more of a travel guitar. It's a nice one if you want to have a cheap tenor guitar to take to the beach or to the park, but wouldn't suggest it as your main guitar. It could be an option if you just want to experiment and it is certainly better - and more comfortable to play - than the Thomann one.

11. The following members say thank you to Steven_bxl for this post:

fox 

Quote Originally Posted by Krabo View Post
    What about the Ibanez tenors?
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...ht=ibanez+pft2

Quote Originally Posted by tkdboyd View Post
    This is my first experience with a tenor guitar.

First fit and finish: some scuff marks here and there, weird scuff on the side of the neck by the 5th fret. Overall, it looks nice enough, especially since it cost a total of $193.00, since I live in Indiana and Sweetwater is based in Indiana, I had to pay tax.

Set up: Has a truss rod, adjustable via the sound hole. I need to loosen the strings, add some graphite to nut and saddle, the A string broke when tuning, I have plenty of strings around the house so put a new one on, tuned it up. Either the factory or Sweetwater did a fine enough job setting it up. The instrument is easy to play.

Sound: Played "Banks of the Ohio" with double stops up the neck in the key of C, did the same with "You are My Sunshine" in F, I think it sounds good. I need to record it so I can hear it from a different perspective. Tried playing some solo Bach pieces, it will take time to reconfigure my mind around Guitar styled fingering/longer scale with an instrument tuned in 5ths. Played mostly open and three finger "Jethro style" chords. I need to really do a study in Texas Style fiddle tune/Jazz chord progressions to truly utilize this little beast.

I didn't waste any money. Perfectly usable instrument, looks are good enough, especially given the price point. I am sure the Collings Tenor doesn't have any of the blemishes and sounds ($)3000.00 times better.

If you want to dip your toes without getting soaked, this should be just fine.
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...ht=PFT2+review

VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    Nylon strings! Is it a tenor or a large Uke?
    Could it be inspired by a requinto jarocho from Veracruz Mexico?
    4 nylon strings - ADGc tuning.

David Hidalgo of Los Lobos plays a beautiful sounding and gorgeous looking one on La Bamba - Playing for Change. (See 0:15 mark of video)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hidalgo-car-ok.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	180407

La Bamba | Playing For Change | Song Around The World
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5dkwQY-_tk

I also enjoyed seeing a Brac player from Serbia at the 2:51 mark.

Hmmmm... I'll check out both the Thomann and the Blueridge. The only problem is that the Blueridge costs 3 times as much in my area as the Thomann does!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the advice though.

Thomann also do the Harley Benton tenor https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_ben...s_nt_tenor.htm
    - Jeremy

Wot no catchphrase?

Quote Originally Posted by derbex View Post
    Thomann also do the Harley Benton tenor https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_ben...s_nt_tenor.htm
    Hey derbex, thanks for the advice. I ended up buying the Harley Benton. I figured that I don't want to drop close to a thousand euros on a guitar style that I might not persist with, and the reviews are better. I'll let you know how it goes guys.

18. The following members say thank you to Krabo for this post:

fox 

No problems, good luck with it.

I took the same view with an Ashbury AT-14 that I have just sold. It's a nice guitar with a good sound, especially in CGDA, but I found that after I had worked through the Hal Leonard book I didn't play it. I could have put it into GDAE but I have a tenor banjo and a couple of mandolas that work better for that.
    - Jeremy

Wot no catchphrase?