Thread: Fell in love with an Eastman Octave Mandolin recently.

Default Fell in love with an Eastman Octave Mandolin recently.

Got to play an Eastman O.M. Love it but have not purchased. I can't seem to chord the first couple frets. Evidently narrow handed or sumthin'. I keep reading about 20" to 22" dimensions. Is that neck or fingerboard. It's an Eastman 305. I have NO experience with an O.M. I have no problems with my Ovation as far as chord reach but its standard mandolin. Really dig the Eastman but don't want shell the $ for something I have to relearn (stretching for chords etc).

Default Re: Fell in love with an Eastman Octave Mandolin recently.

The OM should be approached as a totally new instrument. Sure, the notes are the same, but most recommend playing the 5th fret with your pinky rather than your ring finger on OM. I’m a 6 foot 200 pounder and wear large gloves but don’t have long fingers. I used to own an awesome Weber Hyalite that had great tone and sustain for days, but was a 22.5 inch scale length instrument, and I struggled with cleanly fretting the 5th and 6th frets with my pinky because of the reach. I recently bought a 20 inch scale length OM that lacks a little in sustain because of the shorter scale length, but, man, it’s so much easier to play! I’m making myself use OM fingering, but can play most songs with standard mandolin fingering in a pinch. Also, on OM, forget about trying to play 3 and 4 finger chop style chords. Unless your hands are the size of Mike Marshall’s there’s just no way.

I really like the OM, and use it a lot in our praise band at church. I’ve almost always got a kid or 2 on guitar, so don’t really need another. And, these are talented kids, but kids nonetheless, so I get to be the rhythm glue that keeps it all together. I use mando a lot, but the OM fills a nice sonic space that’s just different enough from guitar to work.
    Chuck

Default Re: Fell in love with an Eastman Octave Mandolin recently.

The dimension you’re asking about is the scale length(measurement from bridge to nut.) Don’t think of it as relearning, think of it as expanding your knowledge. You might have to experiment and look for different chord shapes on the fretboard, but anything you learn on octave can be transitioned back to standard mandolin. These octaves come up used online quite a bit so you don’t have to buy a new one if you want to save a few bucks. If you’re really in love, just go for it!