Thread: 1919 gibson a3 #mandolin

FIDDLES with STRADOLINS your_diamond's Avatar

Default 1919 gibson a3 #mandolin

1919 GIBSON A3 MANDOLIN https://ebay.us/K7kROl

Blog Entries

Default Re: 1919 gibson a3 #mandolin

If its a 1919# its had a truss rod added later as the guard looks wrong for a late 21-early 22? They were straight without the treble indent in 22 but being Gibson anything is possible-the cover looks wrong also but I didn't study the pix or the #? I think they are neat and love the white tops!

Interesting for the hex nuts on top of the bridge. A friend just recently got a nice A3. I missed it by a couple of hours. The white top with nice wear on the edge is something I've always liked.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

4. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

Blog Entries

Hey Eric the hex nuts would be for the early aluminum saddle that was on these truss rod model Gibson's! Very sweet indeed. This one just doesn't look right to me for some reason! Will

Oh I guarantee that it wouldn't sound as great as your 35ish A-50

6. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post:

the truss rod cover looks wrong. it obscures some of the head stock inlay. could be a twenties or could be added later.

It might not have a truss rod under the cover. The truss rod could have been added to correct a problem. Without seeing it you can't tell.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

9. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Without seeing the serial number, I'm going to say that it's a 1922 A-3. I've seen others where the truss rod cover obscures the inlay. I think that Gibson probably used the existing peghead overlays and/or necks that they already had when they started using truss rods. As far as the bridge goes, it looks like a replacement, but with the top nuts(For lack of a better term) that came on some of the early adjustable bridges.
    "it's not in bad taste, if it's funny" - john waters

Teacher, repair person

I've seen guards like that. I've seen them with the truss rod through the inlay.

I believe the bridge to be a much later replacement.

The only things that look unusual are the truss rod cover with the point at the upper end; and the hex nuts on the bridge. All of the metal covers I have seen were the same shape as the plastic ones, and were rounded at the top. All of the bridges I have seen with extra hardware had standard knurled adjusting nuts on top.

I'm waiting to here back from the seller. Meanwhile I found this GIBSON MANDOLIN A SR#29460 (1915 ???) https://ebay.us/aj8zvH
    and this FIX-ER-UPPER GIBSON 1915 A mandolin, project or parts, w/tuners, tailpiece #cover, pickguard https://ebay.us/CAOcIw

Teacher, repair person

Quote Originally Posted by your_diamond View Post
    I'm waiting to here back from the seller. Meanwhile I found this GIBSON MANDOLIN A SR#29460 (1915 ???) *
    https://ebay.us/aj8zvH

and this FIX-ER-UPPER GIBSON 1915 A mandolin, project or parts, w/tuners, tailpiece #cover, pickguard ** https://ebay.us/CAOcIw
    * Hard to tell for sure from pictures, but the color of the back on this one looks a bit lighter than what I generally see for an original finish for this period.

** That's a bad place for a crack. It can be repaired using the same techniques that violin repairmen use to execute a "soundpost patch," but it would require removal of the back to do the repair correctly.

My first Gibson mandolin was a 1919 whiteface A-3. I played it for quite a few years in my first string band. Mine did not have a truss rod nor did it have an adjustable bridge. I agree with Bill and others that those features are more like 1921-22. I love the oval hole sound and that one had it in spades. I played every A model at Mandolin Brothers back in the late 1970s and it was the best one on the wall back then. Cost me $300 but it was in better condition and clean looking.

What is good about this one is it still has the original pickguard.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

A couple days ago the bidding was hovering around $260 and I thought I could get excited at that price.......

Today it is over $700 with no signs of stopping......with 11 hours to go......

At some point it will be full retail -- and what fun is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    A couple days ago the bidding was hovering around $260 and I thought I could get excited at that price.......

Today it is over $700 with no signs of stopping......with 11 hours to go......

At some point it will be full retail -- and what fun is that?
    I think that the days of getting great deals on Ebay are pretty much over, especially when the auctions are posted here.

17. The following members say thank you to John Rosett for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by John Rosett View Post
    I think that the days of getting great deals on Ebay are pretty much over, especially when the auctions are posted here.
    You're right, and it's sad IMHO. I still long for those early days of vintage guitar collecting -- 35 years ago and before eBay -- I would see an instrument listed on Gruhn's monthly list, then drive to the "bad" part of town, go in a pawn shop and find one for 20 percent of Gruhn's price -- sometimes less than that! Cheap thrills!

Well, it stopped at $900. I don't know how good a deal that was as there were questions but it does not seem excessive.

Quote Originally Posted by NickR View Post
    Well, it stopped at $900. I don't know how good a deal that was as there were questions but it does not seem excessive.
    It seems like a pretty good deal for a '22 A3 with a truss rod. I was only about $800 short...

Quote Originally Posted by NickR View Post
    The seller (of the A3) told me he was out of town & he did not know if it had a truss rod under the truss rod cover (let alone if it had a working truss rod). He did not know much about mandolins and did not know the serial number ...SO IT MAY BE A LATER DATE THAN 1919 (the date listed). I suppose the buyer could return it if there is no working truss rod.

Yes, it could have been a 1922 model. The photos suggested it might be quite good and if it was, at $900 it was a good buy. I would imagine the truss rod cover was a replacement. If the truss rod does not work, then that's not too much of an issue to a good luthier.

This mandolin is in the classifieds and in quebec . No photo to know if it has all its parts or not now though .