Thread: opinions on Weber Gallatin

Default opinions on Weber Gallatin

Hello All - I know there are a ton of opinions out there, and you can't generalize about different makes, etc., but I'm still asking.
    I guess I'm an advanced beginner, on a limited budget, and I don't play bluegrass, but enjoy playing with my guitar buddies, lots of accompanying on folk, singer/songwriter stuff. After a few entry level mandos I stumbled onto a JBovier (maybe that's considered entry level, too, who knows) and I've been pretty happy with it. Then at a song circle I picked up a friend's 1993 Flatiron and thought, whoa, this sounds great! So I look around now and then, and came across a good deal on a 2017 Weber Gallatin. It's a bit of a drive to check it out, but from reviews it sounds like it might fall somewhere between my JBovier and that Flatiron. I know Weber has a long history; any thoughts out there about the more recent mandos in that line? Thanks!

Default Re: opinions on Weber Gallatin

Welcome to the forum. I've never owned one, but have played a few. It certainly is a worthy contender and believe it would be an upgrade. At your level of playing any of the entry level mandolins from small shop/ individual luthier builders will IMHO be an upgrade. Tone and feel are very subjective. If it fits your budget go play it. But don't let the distance driven cloud your judgement.

Disclaimer: Webers aren't my thing for various reasons but they have their fans. But the bottom line is you will like anything at this level. Live with a Gallatin for a while and it will help you evaluate your next mandolin, or there may not be another mandolin. Worth a drive.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I was asked to broker the sale of a Gallatin for someone recently. I once owned a very quiet Yellowstone that had me (unfairly) not too excited about Weber. This Gallatin changed my mind so much that I nearly kept it for myself. A friend purchased it and he couldn't be happier with it. It's volume and tone were just what he needed.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

huge weber fan here, purchased a dandy Gallatin F for my wife years ago, it was killer! I currently own a Yellowstone with fern appointments and it just rocks my boat. I've owed around 3 others. Webers just fit my hands really well, and I like the tone that comes out of them. I also own a Collings and have owned other collings, a Pava, some Northfields, a Phoenix, and probably a few others I'm forgetting.

If you goggle the CD "Ardent Spirit" by Marc Beale, he is playing a Yellowstone all over that mandolin(he is actually playing everything on that CD, just laying up mandolin over guitar and resonator,etc That will give you a very good sense of Weber tone.
    https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/markbeale (soundclips on all the songs in this link)

Gallatins are huge bang for the buck.
    Keep us posted on the outcome
    d

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darylcrisp For This Useful Post:

Gallatins come with Mahogany back and sides or Maple back and sides. Which are you looking at?
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Maple

Funny you should mention a "quiet" Yellowstone. I had a friend who had a very nice, loud-enough sounding Breedlove (made in the good old days). I went out and bought the same model, but never got the same volume. Other players (better ones than me) would say things like "it sounds like it hasn't opened up yet." Well, it never opened up, just stayed a quiet instrument. Don't know why that happens.......

I've played various instruments that just had no volume, and I now have a very loud mandolin that has spoiled me. I find most mandolins too quiet now. But really, unless your main objective is jams or bands, the at home player doesn't need a very loud mandolin. I played a Weber recently that wasn't very loud, and the one next to it was, if not loud, noticeably louder. A Lebeda I played once was very soft, but had a beautiful tone. I put it down to building is an inexact science.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1