Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your average $150,000 guitar

Default Re: Your average $150,000 guitar

Those instruments from Taiwan seem to all originate from Vietnam. Is there actually a real person Tsai, or Bruce Wei? Having seen a number of their instruments and having bought one myself they are not very good builders but some of the inlay work is quite good.
    Many of the pre made inlays that you can buy online like "White Lady" reproductions etc. also originate from Vietnam though the companies selling the inlays are here in this country. You could probably carry your own Gibson over there and have it inlayed for maybe the price of a tank of gas.

Maybe made for Game of Thrones fans?
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

It would be great to play “scales” on....

Ok, I’ll go to my corner now.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Timbofood For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    True but dragons really are not much of an American or European thing?
    Maybe not American. But in Europe we have our own dragons as part of our traditions.

I think if I was going to spend any type of large cash. on a Custom Gibson.. it would be on one of the first Ren Built Guitars . or just back to buying old Martins.

Do I get a set of Ginsu knives with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
    Maybe not American. But in Europe we have our own dragons as part of our traditions.
    Yes, first there’s the one from Wales and then there’s St George & the Dragon. Unfortunately, St George came from somewhere in the middle east but we do have numerous pubs called “The George & Dragon”.

I once met a man who said “Hello, I’m George .... and this is my wife!”

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by slimt View Post
    I think if I was going to spend any type of large cash. on a Custom Gibson.. it would be on one of the first Ren Built Guitars . or just back to buying old Martins.
    For sure! I would take one of those first re-issues of the Advanced Jumbo that he made -- this was in the mid-late 1990s. They had Brazilian Rosewood back and sides from a stash that he had saved for years -- I believe that about 10 - 12 were made and I can't imagine what they change hands for today. Maybe as much as an original AJ?
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    Yes, first there’s the one from Wales and then there’s St George & the Dragon. Unfortunately, St George came from somewhere in the middle east but we do have numerous pubs called “The George & Dragon”.

I once met a man who said “Hello, I’m George .... and this is my wife!”
    Ha ha. True there were Western dragons -- in Christianity often used to represent Satan for example -- along with the snake. But it seems to me that images of Occidental dragons look a lot different from the Oriental representations? Anyway from my Western viewpoint they are not something I want on my instruments?
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    For sure! I would take one of those first re-issues of the Advanced Jumbo that he made -- this was in the mid-late 1990s. They had Brazilian Rosewood back and sides from a stash that he had saved for years -- I believe that about 10 - 12 were made and I can't imagine what they change hands for today. Maybe as much as an original AJ?
    I have two from 2 from that batch of 12 , that was when Burnette loaned his to Ren to get a samplings from Then I have. 4 more made with Brazilian blank sets I had through the Early custom shop when Ren ,Val ,kevin and John , Ren did some relief carved J200s in the early years. They eere the most beautiful custom I ever seen. I believe all were sold to either Germany or Japan. They were the overseas hotbeds for high end guitars at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by T.D.Nydn View Post
    I don't think Ren built the dragon guitar ,did he? It doesn't look like his style..it's pretty hideous,and the neck is almost dysfuntional...
    Ya. The Dragon one isnt a Ren built. Thats not his style. His carvings are way better.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by slimt View Post
    I have two from 2 from that batch of 12 , that was when Burnette loaned his to Ren to get a samplings from Then I have. 4 more made with Brazilian blank sets I had through the Early custom shop when Ren ,Val ,kevin and John , Ren did some relief carved J200s in the early years. They eere the most beautiful custom I ever seen. I believe all were sold to either Germany or Japan. They were the overseas hotbeds for high end guitars at the time.
    Two of them! Well hush my mouth then! So I can only imagine that those guitars must be outright killers. What do you think the value of them is on today's market and how do they compare tone-wise with the original '35 -'40 models -- which were, I believe, made of Indian Rosewood? I have a custom shop AJ from the early 2000a with IR -- I love the sound of it.
    Bernie
    ____