Thread: Zero GLide Nut

Default Zero GLide Nut

Hey!

Had a couple of questions about fretboards and nuts - Thanks in advance!

1. Does anyone have any experience using zero glide nuts? How did the installation go and was there a noticeable difference?

2. Looking at getting a custom fretboard made from LMII but heir website says a zero glide nut won't work on anything smaller than a 16" radius. Does this seem right? Also, am I stuck getting a 17" fretboard cut down to for a 13.86 scale?

Default Re: Zero GLide Nut

While you're waiting for an answer check out these past threads on the subject.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I'm using one on my flat-radius tenor guitar, and it's a nice solution. Gold Tone has a nut width template you can download & print so you can decide which premade nut will work (or if you should buy a blank & slot it yourself). I was lucky enough to be able to use the banjo nut, so the only critical thing was to bring the height down so one the ledge lined up with the top of the fretboard. Then it's just a matter of choosing the proper zero fret (I think 4 are included) for your fret height.

I like zero frets, and this is an almost no-tools way to retrofit one. As far as sound difference ... yes, I think there is a difference. If you twisted my arm, I'd say that it makes open strings sound more like they do when they're fretted. But it's subtle.

This post wouldn't have anything to do with last night's Stew-Mac email discount offer on Zero Glides, would it?

I've used Zero Glides on several instruments, usually to satisfy customer requests. On guitars, you just drop the nut in and string up the instrument. Strings ride nicely over them without lubrication. They work just fine. The plug-and-play quick installation is the main selling point. Arguing over qualitative differences in tone degenerates to the level of philosophers of old discussing how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. It's really too subjective; your hearing and mine and another guy's are not the same.

For a deeply radiused fretboard, you'd need to modify the profile of the Zero Glide so much that it wouldn't be worth it. Specifically, the little "shelf" in the Zero Glide's plastic body that carries the fret wire would have to be re-profiled to mirror the radius. By the time you got finished doing that (assuming you succeeded and didn't destroy the plastic nut piece in the attempt, which is highly probable), you could make the nicest new bone nut anybody ever saw.

Not sure what you're asking about fretboard size. You make them to fit the application.

You say you're looking at a custom fretboard. Are you building a mandolin? If so, just incorporate a true zero fret in the design. That's far better than the ZeroGlide, a product which I hold in pretty low regard. I want the nut slots at fret height for the best action. I can do that with a traditional nut. I can also do it with a zero fret. It's exceedingly difficult with a ZeroGlide.

6. The following members say thank you to Buck for this post:

hank 

Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    You say you're looking at a custom fretboard. Are you building a mandolin? If so, just incorporate a true zero fret in the design. That's far better than the ZeroGlide, a product which I hold in pretty low regard. I want the nut slots at fret height for the best action. I can do that with a traditional nut. I can also do it with a zero fret. It's exceedingly difficult with a ZeroGlide.
    Yeah, I'm building a mandolin but don't quite have the set up to cut and radius my own fret board. Can you recommend any good info for installing a true zero fret?

The late Paul Hostetter has a few messages (as do others) regarding setting up a zero fret in this thread. Just get past the other parts of the discussion and you should be able to glean some information about the setup and installation.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber