Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: Amid Constant Change The Mandolin Store Flourishes

Blog Entries

Default Article: Amid Constant Change The Mandolin Store Flourishes

2. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:

Default Re: Article: Amid Constant Change The Mandolin Store Flourishes

Bought a couple of mandolins from Dennis. Great store & service.

Blog Entries

Dennis and crew are great! I've talked with him on the phone a few times about different Gibson mandolins and he always treats one really well even if there is a no sale as someday maybe he knows from anyone there can be a potential sale if you treat people decent! He's actually a really good guy and I actually years ago had a 1980 Gibson F5-L that was Wayne Benson's and before that Dewey Farmers but Dewey wasn't impressed so he had a full internal re-grad done and I had it for sale on the café-Dennis got a hold of me and traded me a brand new Weber Custom Elite for it-I asked why as the Weber was $ wise worth double what the Gibson was worth! I believe he said he had a customer that wanted that Gibson of mine really bad so we swapped! I later sold the Weber-pry should've kept it as it was great but a little too new and modern for me as I love my stuff old/withered/played in already?
    I later found out he used to work with my Aunt's 2nd husband and his banjo tech at the time-Doug Piper used to play and recorded some 45's in the early 70's with my Grandpa Big Bill Smith Sr.! So indeed a small world!
    If I was in the market for a new Gibson mandolin or any instrument at any level-deal with these guys, they are tops in my book and I have a big book-LoL!

Great folks to do business with. I highly recommend them. I have purchased 3 instruments from them, all have been superb. All the best to Dennis and team.

"Some might question the wisdom of basing an entire business around a single instrument such as a mandolin, but for Vance, the decision was easy."

One might say the same for the author, just substitute 'Scott' for 'Vance'. ;-)

Blog Entries

Nice profile. Thanks, Scott, and keep up your wonderful effort, Dennis.

NIce to see this article. Dennis and crew at The Mandolin Store are great guys to work with and honest businessmen! I've purchased two high end mandolins from them and 100% satisfied with both. TMS rocks!

Oh no! If he moves the store back to Ohio, a road trip would be in order and my in remission MAS may be reactivated. Third job, here I come!

I purchased two mandolins from them some years ago, still have and love them. I highly recommend their knowledge, plus nice to work with!

Blog Entries

I have had several interactions with Dennis and always been pleased by the deal, his frankness, and honesty.

Zero regrets.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

I've purchased a couple mandolins from Dennis and Brian, always pleased with the instrument I get, and the customer service is beyond excellent.

And even years ago, an email sent late evening or night, usually received an answer within a few minutes. One wee hour morning email around 3am, I sent to inquire about a mandolin and almost immediately Dennis replied. I returned something like, "what are you doing up this time of night" and he replied, "same as you, looking at mandolins".

My current, all time fav mandolin, came from Dennis about 2 years ago. A shop custom Weber Yellowstone with fern appointments. Its simply "swell" in every way.
    thanks Dennis and Brian!

d

I send my new students who need a good beginner or intermediate mandolin set up RIGHT to The Mandolin Store--online.

Loved this profile. Dennis might have one of the best jobs in the universe....

Blog Entries

Some would say I am crazy (and I wouldn't argue), but last week a light bulb went off in my mind and I just decided I needed to drive down to Surprise AZ to visit TMS. Dennis and Brian were great and I got to sample the diverse and high quality inventory. Nothing beats hands-on try outs to refine one's ideas of what is possible in terms of tone, playability, and price. I also was surprised by a few mandolins that were better than I expected. I didn't buy anything but I sure got some ideas about what to be lusting after.

Five days on the road and 2600 miles of beautiful scenery interrupted by a couple of hours sampling great mandolins in the company of friendly folks. That's not all that crazy.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Blog Entries

Hank, you're hard core, man. Love it.

Blog Entries

Great story! It would be wonderful if Dennis and the Mandolin Store returned to Washington Court House, Ohio!!!

Just when you guys in cold weather states are going stir crazy, jump a flight to Arizona and catch some spring training baseball. Hint: Surprise has a stadium shared by two teams.

Do call ahead though. Not your typical open at 9, close at 5 shop. The more money you have to spend, the better off you'll be. LOL.

Dennis you'd be welcomed warmly back in the beautiful state of Ohio!

Blog Entries

If you've been looking for one of the Eastman MDO305 octave mandolins that have been difficult to find in retail, Dennis just told me he took an order for 20 of them and they're in stock now. Guess that'd be a mini order?

Blog Entries

Oh, I asked for clarification. That was in addition to another 70 Eastmans...

One upcoming announcement? How about "Gibson slashes prices for loyal fans to indulge." Haha.

The Gibson Goldrush they have looks and sounds fantastic. I was in the woods the other day and while enjoying the beautiful fall colors (the yellow fall leaves reminded me of the Goldrush mandolin) I kept thinking that I should call the Mandolin Store and inquire. Must resist lest I get tempted by a great deal. Lol

Perpetually Confused

I just got back from Grand Canyon and Sedona, with a layover in Phoenix... getting to Phx late in the evening because my wife wanted to do last minute shopping in Sedona, TMS would have been closed, so I couldnt take a look. But my biggest regret of that trip is not allowing more time in Phoenix to take a stop at TMS... I blame my wife. I am pretty sure this is grounds for divorce...

Quote Originally Posted by Aldwyn View Post
    ...But my biggest regret of that trip is not allowing more time in Phoenix to take a stop at TMS... I blame my wife. I am pretty sure this is grounds for divorce...
    Hmm, usually divorce comes after a trip to TMS.

This is a good piece and it puts a face with the name, giving you a better idea of who you are doing business with...makes me want to buy another mando.

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Mort View Post
    This is a good piece and it puts a face with the name, giving you a better idea of who you are doing business with...makes me want to buy another mando.
    Everything makes me want to buy another mando!
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

Blog Entries

Dennis has finally decided to share the news that was the original purpose of this article but which turned into something different.

Good news is he's been approved for the double transplant as of a few day sago and they say it'll happen soon, as in before Summer is over, possibly sooner. Man is healthy as a horse otherwise.