Thread: Laughing Hands

Default Laughing Hands

Have folks ever heard of a group called Laughing Hands out of Colorado?

flyfishermandolinist

Default Re: Laughing Hands

I love Laughing Hands! They were a favorite when I used to live in the Boulder area a dozen years ago. Even shared the stage a few times. Great people and monster players. Are they still playing? I’d love to catch them live again.

Default Re: Laughing Hands

Thanks Tim, yes they do still perform. Steve Mullins became a pretty highly regarded flamenco guitarist as well. I know he has released numerous albums in that direction. I agree with you about being talented musicians. No one sounds quite like those boys with the inclusion of "so many" world traditions in their originals. The funny thing about Steve is I have also seen him played the heck out of Grisman pieces and the like. He just decided to carve his own path. Hats off to that gang, the Mullins bros and band members....found this on Steve's website today.

“Acoustic String wizards…..jazzy bluegrass and musical exotica often verging on the exquisite.” (Michael Roberts, Westword)

“The ferocious strum ‘n’ pick virtuosity is intimidating at first, but the music is so bursting with exuberance it helps to modulate the awesome technical prowess.” (Jeff Stratton, Boulder Weekly)

“It’s folk-meets-world-beat sound is like an exceedingly enjoyable course in ethnomusicology.” (Kim Leydig, Westword)

“tight ensemble playing, creative arrangements, and memorable, expressive material” (Dirty Linen)

“a uniquely original sound, …solid musicianship,…tightly arranged and performed.” (Acoustic Musician Magazine)

“Some of the most innovative and unique music to emerge from this area” (Jeff Stratton, Boulder Weekly)

The wide-ranging appeal of Laughing Hands’ music is demonstrated by the variety of national acts for which they have opened and the venues at which they have performed:

Asleep At the Wheel

The Fabulous Thunderbirds

The Ozark Mountain Daredevils

Ladysmith Black Mambazo

Vassar Clements

Bela Fleck and the Flecktones

The Iquanas

Colonel Bruce Hampton and the Aquarium Rescue Unit

Leftover Salmon

Rocky Mountain Folks Festival

Taste of Colorado

Denver Performing Arts Festival