Thread: Mandolin Lessons for Beginners

Default Mandolin Lessons for Beginners

I am currently beginning to teach mandolin lessons in my area (Orange County, CA). To teachers out there, how do you promote yourself to get more students? To any beginners out there, what do you hope to learn from the instrument? To those above a beginning level, what was most important to you when you were first starting out?

Thanks!

Default Re: Mandolin Lessons for Beginners

I'd start advertising by putting your card or some other paper with your contact information on it on the bulletin boards in local music stores, if there are any; on what passes for message space at a local college if there is one for that old-fashioned touch. My neighborhood has an electronic (e-mailed) notice board that accepts info on services available, not sure what you have where you are but i'm sure there's something, even if it's Craig's List. You can post an ad or notice on the cafe under teachers (that's how I found mine). Make friends with local music teachers. Busking might bring in a few if you put a sign out that says "mandolin lessons available." Just a few suggestions.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

3. The following members say thank you to Randi Gormley for this post:

Default Re: Mandolin Lessons for Beginners

I agree with Randi. When I was teaching guitar lessons, most if it came from word of mouth, but it started with putting a notice up on a bulletin board. I also played instrumentally at wine tastings and art galleries with a flyer near me. I got some students that way. I taught a lot of children and when you do that, parents tell other parents who want their child to learn an instrument.
    "All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out." - Mark Twain

Eastman MD615SB
    Martin D35
    Gibson SG

5. The following members say thank you to Mando Mort for this post: