Thread: Sennheiser ME64 + K6 powering module

Blog Entries

Default Sennheiser ME64 + K6 powering module

I've never seen these mentioned here, as usually, they are most popular as part of recording rigs for video or broadcast use. The K6 system is based around a power/preamp module which is purchased separately, then a range of different capsules that attach to this. These include short and long 'shotgun' highly directional mics (ME66 and ME67)and an excellent omnidirectional capsule, the ME62. In fact, there are two variations on the base module. One, the K6, also allows the mics to be operated from a 1.5v AA battery for situations where phantom power might not be available, the other, the K6P does require phantom power from the mixer or recorder. Both accept the same range of mic capsules. The ME64 capsule is a fairly tight cardiod mic, with very good off-axis rejection. It has a very high output (31mV/Pa!), low self-noise and good SPL handling (130dB). I have used this quite a bit for indoor dialog recording and as a general cardiod mic for similar recording purposes. Last night (on a whim) I decided to see how it would work as a live instrument mic for mandolin and guitar. I used it as a small gig with the usual (for here) of highly reflective walls and a stone floor... it was partly outside in a courtyard setting. I ran it into our QSC Touchmix 16 and because this really was a fairly small gig with less than 100 in the audience, I used a pair of QSC K8's as mains with no floor monitors. It all sounded very good, anyway, despite the 'challenging' acoustics. The ME64+K6 worked very well indeed. Zero feedback problems and both mandolin and guitar sounded great. It was possible to 'work' this mic very well for dynamic control, as it allows a very decent working range. Conclusion: often overlooked for live sound purposes, the ME64+K6 performs very well indeed in this role. Lately, I've mostly been using a Neumann KM85 for this, but I'd happily use the ME64+K6 anyday. it is not a 'cheap' microphone - the module is around $250 and the capsule another $160, but you can sometimes find good used examples. Another one to be aware of, anyway.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Default Re: Sennheiser ME64 + K6 powering module

Hey, thanks, great to know there is one out there that will work as fine as a KM85 does. I too use a KM85 and love it, but I have friends and bandmates who would love to own one - expensive and hard to find these days.
    Funny thing, I use the identical rig: Touchmix 16, K8.2s, KM85. On larger venues I add a sub for extended bass and a Grace Felix for dual source.
    Ellis F5 Special Deluxe custom
    Anton Krutz F5
    Lawrence Smart H 5 Mandola
    Gibson K 2 Mandocello
    Northfield mahogany arch top Octave Mandolin

guitars, banjo, dobro, weissenborn, pedal steel, fretless bass, upright bass

The older (very similar) Sennheiser modular system in the 1990s was built around the K3U power supply - which takes a 6v camera battery but also can run off phantom power. I have some older ones that still sound good, and I still use them now and them. I haven't rigorously compared that system and its 4 capsules and lav, omni to longish shotgun with other microphones. The good news is that you can pick them up for a song.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

Blog Entries

Yes.. good mics are one thing than can last ages if looked after. Most tech these days is practically out-of-date within a very short time, but good mics just keep going. I have a Sennheiser MKH416 that has been in deserts, jungles, storms, and is still as good as the day I bought it all those years ago.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.