Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vulfpeck - Thile appearance

Default Vulfpeck - Thile appearance

So, I’m minding my own business at the Vulfpeck show at MSG this eve, and out comes Chris Thile on his mandolin (I got a video clip of it, but am not sure if it is kosher to pass something like that around). Was anyone else there? I had brought 2 of my kids and the older of the 2 (11 years old) was shocked, asking “is that who I think it is?”

Default Re: Vulfpeck - Thile appearance

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=RDc1nYe6vP7pY

Someone else posted it on YouTube.

Supercool that you took your kids to see Vulf, even cooler that an 11 year old knows who Chris Thile is. You are raisin' 'em right, major props to you !

Thanks, JRG. My kids are as into music as I am and have pretty broad ranging tastes. They started playing together messing around in June of last year, and they’re having a blast. Sometimes they let me join in on mandolin, but they’ll surpass my abilities soon.

Here’s some of them messing around in our former living room.
    https://youtu.be/NiXFuqLd1J0

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cpb282 For This Useful Post:

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jefflester For This Useful Post:

That was insane! And watching Chris dance off the stage afterwards with his Loar made me hold my breath. What if he whacked it or dropped it?!

Blog Entries

Everybody flopping around on the floor-I wonder how much whisky was imbibed!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
    That was insane! And watching Chris dance off the stage afterwards with his Loar made me hold my breath. What if he whacked it or dropped it?!
    I’m not sure if that angle showed it, but at one point his foot got caught on one of the carpets. I let out a gasp.

Pretty flippin’ awesome!!! And, if he busts up one Loar, he’s got the second for back up
    Chuck

Thile is a great player,but his stage antics are totally pretentious,,personally, I think he looks like a dang fool hoping around like that..

Really enjoying listening to the interplay between Thile and Koz, especially how well they supported groove throughout their improv. Seeing the band sit down to watch was a nice element. "You can dance if you want to..."—Men Without Hats

Quote Originally Posted by T.D.Nydn View Post
    Thile is a great player,but his stage antics are totally pretentious,,personally, I think he looks like a dang fool hoping around like that..
    Pretentious? Hmmm...If so, then he truly is a damned fool for thinking he's impressing anyone. It's like a much worse version of the unconscious chicken jig that's part of his live performances. I don't even think he made it through the duo w/ Bela Fleck mini-tour a couple years ago without hoofing it a time or two.

Looks like it's more a case of playing to the crowd/venue. I'm not very familiar with Vulfpeck but from what few 'live' videos of them I've seen, some antics are par for the (double) course. Plus, that stage is set to inspire movement.

C. ~/:/~
    Northfield F5S Amber #347 - 'Squeeze'
    Mann EM-5 Hollow Body - Gimme Moore
    Kentucky KM-270 - Not just for whisky
    Flatiron 1N Pancake - Not just for breakfast
    Epiphone Mandobird IV - Djangly
    Cozart 8-string e-mando - El Ch(e)apo
    Lanikai LB6-S Banjolele (tuned GDAE) - Plinky and the Brane

As I understand the word "pretentious",Chris Thile is surely not that.

He was not attemting to impress by affecting greater importance,talent,etc. than he actually has.
    Chris Thile has way more gears and an overdrive if necessary that he could hit effortlessly.o

How can a cerified,card-carrying,modern-day,flippin genius on his chosen instrument ever be pretentious?

I saw him as expressing a pure joy in playing the music with another great artist. If I could play like that I would
    absolutely have to dance,wiggle,and jump for joy.

Thanks for the clip. I enjoyed that!

Gotta go practice my Pee Wee Herman "Tequila" moves.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to V70416 For This Useful Post:

Thile always struck me as genuine, as an artist who lets the music completely take him over in every way to the point where he doesn't care one thousandth of one percent what anyone else thinks of how he looks or sounds. He doesn't care. That's one reason he's so good, in my opinion.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if his live act Loar was a replica.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to archerscreek For This Useful Post:

Searching for the Sound

pretty much how I dance to everything ..... the moment just demands it....
    - 2013 Eastman MD 505
    - 2013 Fender MandoStrat
    - 2021 Eastman MD815

20. The following members say thank you to mtm for this post:

That was pure joy! The look on the two guitarists' faces said it all.

22. The following members say thank you to JH Murray for this post:

mtm 

Quote Originally Posted by CES View Post
    Pretty flippin’ awesome!!! And, if he busts up one Loar, he’s got the second for back up
    Just to be clear, only joking. But, I don’t think he’s using a replica, and, despite the dancing, he’s actually pretty careful with it. He makes sure it’s well out of the way of Koz’s sax when they leave the stage, and he stays clear of the mic stands and other instruments when on it.

I enjoyed seeing him and Bela, and it was funny to watch Bela’s reaction. Chris can’t help but move, and Bela sits like a statue, excepting his hands, of course. Bela had some fun with it as well...

I’ve never been there, but, man, the N.Y. music scene seems to be kicking right now...
    Chuck

Well, then, you'll have to agree that the hoping-around-stage-antics of this dang fool are totally pretentious as well...
    Play that which you feel is groovy, get down with your bad self, and shake your money maker if it makes sense for you to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotter View Post
    Well, then, you'll have to agree that the hoping-around-stage-antics of this dang fool are totally pretentious as well...
    Not even close,,Monroe just throws in a little hillbilly sidesteping,that fits right in,,that's cool,,,ThIle's jumping around like a drunk hippy on the beach dancing around a camp fire...

While I don’t feel qualified to comment on the dancing, having been there, here’s my take on it. I would say that Vulfpeck doesn’t just put on a concert, they try to make it a show. It does at times seem a bit contrived, but the audience seems to know it and dig it. And, Chris Thile has been known to break into impromptu dance-offs even without his mandolin in hand, so his jumping around didn’t feel contrived to me in the moment. It certainly didn’t stand out as the other Vulfpecks dance around in a similar fashion (or even crawl around on the floor).

Add to it the fact that Chris hung out with and played for a group of fans after the show rather than snubbing them, and was equally animated when not on the stage, I just get the sense that he loves what he does and plays in an uninhibited way.

That said, we all are entitled to our own opinions, and I can understand someone thinking it was a bit over the top.

27. The following members say thank you to cpb282 for this post:

Blog Entries

It seems the theatrics are part and parcel of Vulfpeck’s schtick...people having fun for fun’s sake...imagine that. Such gall to not treat every piece of music as if it were Barber’s Adagio for Strings. As for Thile’s “antics” at this stage of the game you know what’s what with the lad, er...dang fool, so I’d recommend stop watching. People griping about his antics or is hair...some things never change.
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

29. The following members say thank you to John Hill for this post:

Not even close,,Monroe just throws in a little hillbilly sidesteping,that fits right in,,that's cool,,,ThIle's jumping around like a drunk hippy on the beach dancing around a camp fire...
    Ya know, you might be right. One's cool and the other is like a drunk hippy. I mean, what do I know? They both seem to be overcome with joy and move to the music in the form of dance. I dunno, considering that Vulpeck might be the grooviest band on the planet, given the same situation, I'm not sure I could resist hoping around like that and making a dang fool of myself. But I'm just weak that way, I guess.
    Play that which you feel is groovy, get down with your bad self, and shake your money maker if it makes sense for you to do so.

31. The following members say thank you to Scotter for this post:

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

he dances like that girl on Seinfield!

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

33. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post:

Looks to me like he is just having fun. Sometimes, these days, it seems like technical prowess comes at the expense of enjoyment. My hat is off to him.

35. The following members say thank you to JimKo for this post:

It's not necessarily my cup of tea either...but my Mama always said that if you don't have anything good to say then don't say anything at all.

Kirk