Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recording King by Gibson

Default Re: Recording King by Gibson

Mike, did you mean to write "no" before the word correlation? That's my sentiment exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by NickR View Post
    Mike, did you mean to write "no" before the word correlation? That's my sentiment exactly.
    Yes, I fixed that, thanks. The late Paul Hostetter thought at one time there might be but we kept coming up with exceptions to the rule.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Blog Entries

Ok a little bit ago the late 30's-40's-I'm leaning toward early 40's build Orpheum New Yorker. It made it to my place and I waited about two hours and cracked into the box, came with no case-bummer but expected that, also it has a top crack that's a wee bit open between the D and G strings between end of board and bridge "dead Center" then past bridge to lower bought its a hairline, also a bass F-hole crack that's been mended, the tuners are replacements but work well and appear 40's, the tailpiece may be a harmony but I don't think its for this New Yorker? The pickguard looks harmony from that era but there is another hole on the top but not on the treble side top where a bracket would be?
    The whole thing is laminated wood, but a great job! Also it looks original but no idea as I'm a novice on things that aren't Gibson or Martin but there is a screw that's recessed into the heal but doesn't go through the inside head block, it looks very old and like its been there the whole time? Its no 16 inch Gibson L-5 but for what I paid I'm very happy as it has a great neck/board/frets/intonation is spot on all over the board and it has some really decent power on those Jazzy type chords/phrasing! And has that old sound! Most all I have is very high end so I won't be afraid to leave this one out to play when the mood strikes!

William Smith. I am pleased it has turned out well- although a few cracks and things. Those tuners look to be good quality. I saw that one of those New Yorker guitars had the enclosed Klusons tuners in strips. My 1941 Kay made Silvertone Crest has those tuners and all the buttons had crumbled. This may have happened to your guitar as well- hence the new tuners. The tailpiece is not original- it looks like the sort used on a flat top with a floating bridge- not an archtop. I think Kay did make some very good instruments in the late 30s and 40s- and the laminated wood was good stuff- not rubbish. I have no idea why there is a screw in the heel- some idiosyncrasy, I guess. It is interesting that you have some high end guitars to compare this one with to judge its sound. When you consider the price differential, you are right to say this sort of buy represents great value- as long as the guitar is a player.
    My expert is just finishing off my Harmony H162 flat top- that must have spent 55 years under a bed- no play wear just a bent neck. He's going downmarket for me!
    I don't suppose you have a bridge for a Regal archtop mandolin. One like this one below. You can see my comment at the bottom of this article!

https://jakewildwood.blogspot.com/20...-mandolin.html

5. The following members say thank you to NickR for this post:

Blog Entries

Thanks, I'll look as I have some wide rosewood 30's bridges-but came off Gibson's! Yes this New Yorker is a player for sure-great neck, tone, intonates perfect all over the board. Really swell power also! And for the $ I can't complain! PM your address and I'll get you out a wide 30's Gibson bridge, they look about the same?
    Last edited by William Smith; Oct-01-2019 at 4:50am.

William Smith. That is very kind of you. Here is a photo that shows such a bridge- I need a pickguard like it for my Regal Custom. My Regal Custom mandolin does have a much nicer bridge which I am sure is original. I cannot upload the photo that shows the bridge- it is described as "invalid file" which may be some copyright problem. I don' know. It is here at this address:

https://reverb.com/item/10275786-reg...-mandolin-1930

William Smith. That is very kind of you. Here is a photo that shows such a bridge- I need a pickguard like it for my Regal Custom. My Regal Custom mandolin does have a much nicer bridge which I am sure is original. I cannot upload the photo that shows the bridge- it is described as "invalid file" which may be some copyright problem. I don' know. It is here at this address:

Here is the image.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RegalBridge.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	180263  
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Mike, thank you for doing that. I am experienceing some problems with uploading photos- it may be since my computer had an update- the usual retrograde experience. I have ordered a bridge that is reckoned to be good for a Harmony tenor guitar. I have ordered one for my Harmony Monterey from 1940. If it is also suitable for the Regal/ Wards mandolin- that means it sits okay and does not need to be massively modified, I will order another. This is the UK eBay but the item is in NYC. The original bridge- as in the photo uploaded by Mike is not compensated- the one on my Regal Custom is. Obviously, the original bridge is not perfect but it would sit okay- the top is not distorted on the mandolin and I am sure it will play okay. The body is huge- 10.5 inches wide and 13 long! No cracks- I think it is all solid wood but the sides and back may not be- as an f hole you cannot see much inside.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293174558984

When you right click and save an image on Reverb it doesn't give you the image file. You have to do a screen capture and save.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Mike, I had done that and had the image saved. I then saved it to my desktop to upload but got that message. However, I have other difficulties which make me feel there is something amiss with my system.

Blog Entries

Hey Buddy, I checked and mine are not like that one at all in the photo's? The ones I have were used on the wide bell shaped A-1's and A-50's of the late 30's-they are longer base? Sorry but I gave her a try for you, that one Mike showed on evilbay looks real close to what you need?

This eBay seller Bezdez from Canada usually has these bridges available.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

William and Mike

Thank you for your efforts. In fact, Mike, I bought one of those bridges with a view to getting it adapted for my Monterey tenor guitar- but it is all wrong- and likewise for the mandolin. However, I did buy a non-adjustable mandolin bridge from the same seller for the Monterey- it worked well- that other bridge is way too tall. I bought a job lot of bridges and replaced the Monterey's bridge with another one because it was not quite tall enough. I have now filed it down and it works on my Regal/Wards mandolin! I get a bit of buzz on the G strings above fret 12- it is a 2mm action at that point. However, I have strung it with extra light strings- so when I go up a gauge in due course that may sort itself out. I can cut some very small notches on the saddle if need be as the ones I made a perhaps a little too deep- it will look a bit icky but that would also work. It will look like a job done by me! However, the mandolin sounds pretty good and I will give it a bit of a spanking tomorrow and get it photographed.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    A fun find on eBay this morning. Somebody needs this. NFI

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Recording-K...8AAOSwm31di9VP

This is basically a Kalamazoo KM-11 branded for Montgomery Ward.
    The Recording King / Gibson sold for ~$327.... Not a bad price, as the KM-11s often go above 4 Benjamins.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

one is 700 cad and the other 2300 cad??? wth???

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    The Recording King / Gibson sold for ~$327.... Not a bad price, as the KM-11s often go above 4 Benjamins.

Mick
    yeah looks good for the right person at that price