Thread: Highly decorated German bowl back mandolin 1900

Default Highly decorated German bowl back mandolin 1900

The seller asks if his detail is not correct or can be further enhanced to be contacted. He sells quite a few nice instruments. I do not know if he is a member here- he may be.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Most-....c100005.m1851

Default Re: Highly decorated German bowl back mandolin 1900

A little too rococo for me. Lots of pearl in mastic is usually the way for artisans to do quick multiple piece inlays. I have seen that metal bridge on other older instruments but not 100% sure of the German attribution. Possibly from a Catanian maker. I have also seen a Stridente with similar ornamentation (below) and similarly shaped scratchplate.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cce2_1.JPG 
Views:	167 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	180156Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cdc2_1.JPG 
Views:	165 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	180157
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Jim, I agree- "way over the top" as we say here. I wonder if such an instrument is an "exhibition" model- possibly made by someone when he reaches a certain level of proficiency. The seller is very knowledgeable but as he requested information, it is clear he is unsure of its provenance. However, as it came from Germany, it was most likely made there.

I bought this- sold by an Italian dealer in Milan- A. Monzino & Garlandi but it was probably made by Meinel & Herold in Saxony and retailed in the UK. I bought it because it has the most fabulous wooden case- made in England! I did like the mandolin as well!

Name:	s-l1600 (3)  M &  Z in case.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	180164Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600 (3) M 7 Z BODY.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	214.3 KB 
ID:	180165

Presentation or exhibition bowlbacks would have fluted backs, engraved inlays and made of high quality materials, in the old days ivory and tortoise shell. This one IMHO does not exhibit high level of workmanship.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Jim, I am sure you are right in your assertion. It is getting bids but on your estimation, I would reckon it will not go very high as fundamentally, it is not something very special.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Presentation or exhibition bowlbacks would have fluted backs, engraved inlays and made of high quality materials, in the old days ivory and tortoise shell. This one IMHO does not exhibit high level of workmanship.
    looks beautiful but i bow to your expertise in bowl backs. i know next to nothing about bowl backs. but it would have fluted ribs if it was a top presentation model.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

A little too rococo for me. Lots of pearl in mastic is usually the way for artisans to do quick multiple piece inlays. I have seen that metal bridge on other older instruments but not 100% sure of the German attribution. Possibly from a Catanian maker. I have also seen a Stridente with similar ornamentation (below) and similarly shaped scratchplate.

Name:	cce2_1.JPG 
Views:	167 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	180156Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cdc2_1.JPG 
Views:	165 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	180157
    Looks pretty clean and fussy for Catania, but who knows? They saw everyone and raised them all more than a few lira.

The ur-Weymann tuners are pretty interesting to see here. Molto pulito!

I prefer the Sicilian exuberance over Roman silly dragons and bottle opener / Orson Welles headstocks any day. But to each their own.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    I prefer the Sicilian exuberance over Roman silly dragons and bottle opener / Orson Welles headstocks any day. But to each their own.
    I am not a fan of the silly dragons either though the bottle opener doesn't bother me.

Yes, Sicilian exuberance...

Name:	$T2eC16F,!ykE9s7twBmHBRH6qWkgWg~~60_58.JPG 
Views:	155 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	180409Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	345.5 KB 
ID:	180410Click image for larger version. 

Name:	caponnetto_2_4.jpg 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	180411
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

9. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Funky Catania! This guy might be carved from the same block as Jerry Reed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ICu0GgPya0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRgNcym4Bps

11. The following members say thank you to NickR for this post:

One of my favorite guitar sites: Fetish Guitar and their Carmelo Catania section.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

An interesting looking mandolin for sure. Incidentally, that type of a metal bridge has been a constant source of puzzle for me, and I even have one in my mandolin parts box.....not that it would ever occur to me to use it. I can't figure out what kind of mandolins, if any, were originally supplied with those bridges.

I am not a fan of the silly dragons either though the bottle opener doesn't bother me.

Yes, Sicilian exuberance...

Name:	$T2eC16F,!ykE9s7twBmHBRH6qWkgWg~~60_58.JPG 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	180409Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	345.5 KB 
ID:	180410Click image for larger version. 

Name:	caponnetto_2_4.jpg 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	180411
    what a collection!!! do you own these? how do they sound?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter K View Post
    An interesting looking mandolin for sure. Incidentally, that type of a metal bridge has been a constant source of puzzle for me, and I even have one in my mandolin parts box.....not that it would ever occur to me to use it. I can't figure out what kind of mandolins, if any, were originally supplied with those bridges.
    Those metal bridges were made in Germany. I've seen them being for sale in the 1913 Russian dealer's catalogue in the section of sleeve guards, picks and other bric-a-brac. I guess they were sold worldwide back then. I also have one I got with an old bowlback wreck. I don't think any luthiers were using them originally. They tend to damage the wood if left for too long with the strings fully tuned. But being able to adjust the action was, I guess appealing for many.

16. The following members say thank you to vic-victor for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by vic-victor View Post
    Those metal bridges were made in Germany. I've seen them being for sale in the 1913 Russian dealer's catalogue in the section of sleeve guards, picks and other bric-a-brac. I guess they were sold worldwide back then. I also have one I got with an old bowlback wreck. I don't think any luthiers were using them originally. They tend to damage the wood if left for too long with the strings fully tuned. But being able to adjust the action was, I guess appealing for many.
    Cпасибо Виктор. Indeed, the feet of those metal bridges would dig into the top softwood quickly and in the most ruinous manner.

18. The following members say thank you to Peter K for this post: