Thread: Bass Sounds for Beginner

Default Bass Sounds for Beginner

As I jam with a beginner, he’s new to learning any instrument. Jon has been listening to bluegrass his entire life, and just purchased an Eastman MD-315.

After a month or two of trading off melody and rhythm on 2 mandolins, could my electric bass with him on mandolin- help him as we keep it interesting, and moving forward for him?

Thanks for any suggestions, or ideas.
    Kentucky KM-380

Blog Entries

Default Re: Bass Sounds for Beginner

Speaking as a double bass player here, unless there are a couple of people playing with stability, a bass sound doesn't help a lot. People don't automatically know how to follow a bass, the tones are so dissimilar to what they are playing with their other instruments.

In my experience with both formal and informal instrument teaching, if a person is trying to learn to play, having someone better then them on the same instrument provides something visual and technical for them to copy. That can help more than any other instrument, including bass.

To me it sounds like a few informal instructor/student sessions might be more valuable to Jon than jamming at this time. Sort of a kick start.

You could of course try adding bass, but don't be disappointed if it doesn't help Jon at this time. It might just be too early.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

Default Re: Bass Sounds for Beginner

If the guy’s a beginner then it’s probably best for you to continue using the mando. Loads of techniques to learn, body position, fretboard relationships etc.

Having said that you could play a bass line on the beat with 1,5’s etc or arpeggios, or double stops from time to time. Again showing him/her your fretboard, if you’re tuned in fifths that is. This may help with motivation because the two instruments together, especially a solid bass rhythm can immediately make you sound like a band, even with a beginner.

You could do the bass runs on a mando or even Octave mandolin and explain 1,4,5, (important) and all.

But it all depends on how fast the guy is picking up the theory.