Thread: buzzing after string change

Default buzzing after string change

I thought my setup was pretty good and I have no had any issues prior. After changing my strings two weeks ago I am now getting buzzing on the A strings only. I replaced the strings with the same one's I was already using (D'Addario EJ74's 11-40). Any thoughts on what to look at/try?

Blog Entries

Default Re: buzzing after string change

Lots of questions...

Is this fret-buzz? Can you identify the frets where the buzzing is occurring? Do you have worn frets?

Did you change anything besides the strings? ie: Truss rod tension? Bridge location or height?

Strings do take some time to stabilize but by now they should be plenty stable. If the buzzing is due to frets and they're worn at all, I'd guess either you crossed a threshold with your playing the new strings over the last two weeks, or your truss rod took a breather when you had less string tension against it, and now you need some relief adjustment.

Rule of thumb: It's really hard to only change strings.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

It's "that" time of year as the weather changes, getting drier and cooler, your top has sunken a bit. Assuming you have an adjustable bridge, try raising the saddle a 1/4 to 1/2 turn on the adjusting wheels. Let the top settle a while and see if the buzz disappears. If not, try another fraction of a turn until the buzz disappears. This is done in small increments, no large changes should be needed. Good luck,

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Quote Originally Posted by lenf12 View Post
    It's "that" time of year as the weather changes, getting drier and cooler, your top has sunken a bit. Assuming you have an adjustable bridge, try raising the saddle a 1/4 to 1/2 turn on the adjusting wheels. Let the top settle a while and see if the buzz disappears. If not, try another fraction of a turn until the buzz disappears. This is done in small increments, no large changes should be needed. Good luck,

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL
    Len,
    I think your theory is correct. I have not done anything yet, but we've had a warm-up and increase in humidity and the buzzing seems to have stopped, although probably temporarily

Quote Originally Posted by lenf12 View Post

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL
    99º yesterday, 100º the day before. We have the opposite problem.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by DHopkins View Post
    99º yesterday, 100º the day before. We have the opposite problem.
    Yuck...but it's snowing a lot in Montana...note ideal either
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

I am no expert but I had a buzzy string on my mandolin and replaced it. No more buzz. Something wrong with the string. I could isolate the buzz to a single string.

Hi All !
    Since I’m new to Mandolin and it’s setup, I have encountered a few issues with my Loar LM310F. First off the action was so high it made my fingers burn like fire, so I lowered the action. While doing the loosening of the strings, the high E broke. Replacing the strings was no issue other than with trial and error finding the right action, the E Strings continue to break. I’m now on my 4th set of E strings.Then there’s the intonation which was also way off. Now with the action lowered the only string buzz I have is on the E. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated !

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesbilly View Post
    Hi All !
    Since I’m new to Mandolin and it’s setup, I have encountered a few issues with my Loar LM310F. First off the action was so high it made my fingers burn like fire, so I lowered the action. While doing the loosening of the strings, the high E broke. Replacing the strings was no issue other than with trial and error finding the right action, the E Strings continue to break. I’m now on my 4th set of E strings.Then there’s the intonation which was also way off. Now with the action lowered the only string buzz I have is on the E. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated !
    Get the free setup info from Rob M. (Sp?). Someone please fill in correct info and link
    Several nice old Fiddles
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

As for seasonal weather changes...yesterday's it was in the low 60's, in three days we are supposed to have a low of -6 F! Gotta love fall in Montana
    Several nice old Fiddles
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

I've yet to do a setup that didn't break e strings. About three slack to taught cycles is all I get out of them. I buy separate e strings six at a time. Also make sure the holes in your tuner posts have a smooth entry point. More than once I've had to file them smooth. It's water under the bridge, but your experience points out why you should buy from a forum sponsor. Likely your nut could be cut deeper too.

Do you know someone or have a good stringed instrument shop where you could try mandolins with good action? There will of course be a sore finger stage, but no bleeding allowed.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Thank you for that. Yes about three goes is the limit and yes I have ordered more singles to replace what’s in the garbage. Finicky things these mandolins.

Here’s to experience !
    Cheers

Resurrecting this one. I just changed strings only to end up with a new buzz (not in a good way). Mostly on the high E's; possibly from the A's as well. Plucking the strings and leaning my ear near the headstock I'd swear it's from the nut slot(s). Checked all tuner hardware to make sure things were tight. Pulled truss rod cover and tailpiece cover to make sure neither of those were culprits. I didn't check to make the truss rod nut was tight, will check in a bit. I had a set of coated EXP77's on the mando for a good while with zero issues. Had a show coming up this weekend and figured I'd better refresh the strings. I threw on an old(er) set of J74's that needed to be used up and that's when the buzz started. Figured maybe the strings were too old so I put on some coated singles I had for high E's and A's (first cleaned out the nut slots). Rehearsal yesterday went fine but the buzz came back today while practicing. This is "The Loar" 520. And yep, my frets are getting worn. Does this sound more likely a fret buzz and less likely a nut issue? Will confirm that the truss rod nut is still tight.