Thread: tone and picks vs strings

Default tone and picks vs strings

So, I love BC Chips. I have several in the pic you can see the ones I use. Why three because each imparted a different tone and or attack. Since changing to the TI stark strings. I do not hear the tonal difference I heard with DAs. I still hear a change in the attack based on tip shape but the tone remains constant with all these picks now. Have any of you noticed anything similar where one type or series of strings reacts more widely to different picks then another may? I can literally now use any of these picks and just rotate it to a different tip or edge and get the tones I want rather than switching to a different pick. Maybe it was always like this and I just didn't try the other edges as I have recently. I played in front of my wife tonight but she heard no difference either but then again I am not sure she would have anyway. She really doesn't get why I have multiple amps and a range of speakers and cabs. For her, it's just, turn it up. She's an '80s hair rock band nut. That's a different topic entirely.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0581.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	180089
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

Default Re: tone and picks vs strings

Quote Originally Posted by John Bertotti View Post
    So, I love BC Chips.
    I might as well be the first one to point it out.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

John -
    I think this is a very interesting question and particularly because you mentioned Thomastik Stark strings which I suspect are not the most prevalent string out there (I use TI mittels myself and love them). I can share that, with my mittels, for myself, I do hear distinct tone differences between my Wegen (round or beveled), Blue Chip (round or beveled), and other picks. I go back and forth as to which pick sound and attack feel I prefer.

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

Yea true but that isn’t the point. I had two style and three picks of varying sizes, each had a unique tone that I no longer hear and the only change was the strings. The tp thin one was a bit thinner sounding to me but the attack was the same as the thicker tp and the Jazz pick has the sharpest attack and to me brought more tone out of my strings and was a bit brighter in tone but now the tonal differences are so slight most of the time I don’t notice it. So I am curious if this has happens to anyone else. I will now decide which instrument to put a pick with because I don’t need all three with this Mandolin anymore. Another question I have is perhaps it is not the strings, maybe my hands have just learned to pull the tone I want out of the instrument irregardless of which pick I use. How would I test that theory? Is that even possible?

5. The following members say thank you to John Bertotti for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Logan View Post
    John -
    I think this is a very interesting question and particularly because you mentioned Thomastik Stark strings which I suspect are not the most prevalent string out there (I use TI mittels myself and love them). I can share that, with my mittels, for myself, I do hear distinct tone differences between my Wegen (round or beveled), Blue Chip (round or beveled), and other picks. I go back and forth as to which pick sound and attack feel I prefer.

Oh goodness, I haven’t even tried other picks yet, like all of you I have a box full of them. Hmm-maybe I should try. I picked stark because the total tension seems closest to the DAs that were on it but still a bit lower.

When you get to differences between picks and strings, you are well down the list of tonal differences. The style of instrument and the materials, along with the ideas of the maker are the big difference makers. The next tier in importance is strings,IMHO, then picks. They can make a difference to the player, but I've never thought the average listener could tell the difference. I like BC picks and Wegens, but my A 1 seems to like Primetones. But that could be different tomorrow.
    Oh, let's put playing ability top of the list. A good player can pull more tone from a KM 150 using Fender medium picks than I can with a Collings and a Blue Chip.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Br1ck For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

This article is of value as regards picks

http://jazzmando.com/tips/archives/000718.shtml
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Everything makes a difference to a greater or lesser degree. Strings , picks, technique, room, setup, taste, physical limitations … when you add them all together it is a significant statement. When you finally "settle" … well that's you..... R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

I have been searching tone vs. attack on my Gretsch 6120 and after putting a set of Thomastik Blues sliders and have the same type of result. I'm a BC guy too but it was really bright on the 6120 with nickel strings. So I went to the new Taylor thermex pro 1.5 and that was great on regular nickel strings taking out the sharpness. Now with these sliders I'm right where I was lookin' to get. No matter what pick I use I get reliable mellow tone. On the mando however I don't want to lose a drop of attack and the ability to change tone and use a TPR 45 mainly, but have tried that taylor and got nice results when chopping or playing rhythm.