Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Parting with a beloved mandolin

Default Re: Parting with a beloved mandolin

Interesting thread on AGF, Bart. I don't think I'm quite to that point yet, but I'm in my mid 40s and have noticed some loss, especially on the right ear, and most noticeably in big crowds/noisy environments. I'm getting a little maniacal about using ear plugs...
    Chuck

I am sure I will lament the loss of this mandolin and always remember the joy it provided while thinking about the luck of a new owner that will surely be enjoying it as much as I did.
    Like an old Girlfriend.

This discussion makes me want to sell something. I just sold a guitar I had for 33 years. It took me a long time to let it go but I'm glad I did. The new owner is tickled pink. Me too. I have some other instruments and cases I need to put on the market.

One way to look at it is that an instrument is JUST a piece of merchandise you can buy and sell them like widgets. I used to sell souvenirs wholesale. That made me Never want to buy them for the kids, because it was just some doodad with a city name on it. And it could have any city you wanted printed on it.

Old things are keys to memories
    So keep the ones you can
    Cause the journey’s where you’re going
    But its also where you’ve been!
    — Michael Reno Harrel.

There is another line in the song where he talks about still having his first guitar, came in a cardboard case.
    I totally get it.
    Eric Hanson
    Click #016/ Born on 2/29/08 - Sold to the next Conservator of this great mandolin!
    The search has ceased! (At least for now)
    Collings A-Style
    White #29R : Oh my!! This one is so AWESOME!!

I have actually grieved after sending an instrument off, very sad for days. The feeling is quite similar to loss of a pet, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Bill View Post
    Am I the only one that feels a deep emotional detachment when parting with a mandolin that has been for 7 years a delight to play and care for.? Perhaps like loosing a beloved pet?
    This past week I placed an order for a relatively big upgrade necessitating that I simultaneously offer for sale an instrument that I have loved playing and treated with the utmost of care. This instrument was adopted (hand picked) from a group of five sister mandolins for it's sweetness of tone and other qualities we look for in a mandolin.
    While I look forward with great anticipation to receiving my new custom build I look at my soon to be sold mandolin with melancholy. My gut says that I should have both but being retired on a fixed income and an appetite for extensive RV travel, my head tells me that is just not in the cards.
    I am sure I will lament the loss of this mandolin and always remember the joy it provided while thinking about the luck of a new owner that will surely be enjoying it as much as I did.
    For others that have felt this way let me know how long I should expect this feeling of gloom over the sale to last. Previous sales of mandolins I have owned have not had this impact.
    I went through this process recently. I had the opportunity to borrow the new mandolin for a few days and compare with the present one which I loved. However I have alway had a mentality of selling to buy and have upgraded to present high end mandolin this way. It is not out of financial necessity just some inbuilt sense of prudence. While I would sometimes think about the instruments I sold I have never regretted it. I am a one instrument type of person and I know some people are not. Everyones different.

Look at it this way. if we could all trade our present ageing partners in for a new young blond model would we keep the old partner around?!!

Well, if it's that beloved you'll likely regret it later and it will likely take more coin to get it back. You may be best off finding a way to keep it than go down that road so many of us have travelled too many times.

My latest anecdote involves a certain trashed silver face Fender Princeton that a good friend sold me in the late '90's. My brother builds hifi tube gear and did better than restore it, among other things putting in the circuitry for the Fender outboard reverb unit. It really honked but i got all purist like and went totally acoustic and sold the thing...shoulda kept it for sentimental reasons if nothing else. Well, you can guess who got the reissue Mandocaster and into fry pan steel, and wanted another Princeton. Turns out the reissues aren't as good, are more spendy than this particular unoriginal one, and small Fender tube amps are in demand and more expensive than ever. Well, the bro was able to track it down and it cost a good bit more to bring it back home. Very grateful the lost was found and the last owner wasn't too unreasonable - it was my one time shot at it.

There are some really fine pieces that i let go before their prices went up that i'd really like to have back but couldn't begin to afford now. i do hope you won't have to learn my lesson.

I have sold many instruments but the only one I truly regret selling was an excellent old guitar I sold to a guy who was a real jerk about it throughout the dealing. I gave him a great deal. And that guitar has certainly gone up in retail price since. Oh well.

I have another pretty desirable guitar that i should probably sell but still want to enjoy it a bit more before I have to say goodbye. I have lots I could sell and should do so soon but the ones that I treasure are the ones that people want. Natch!
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1