Thread: Eastman MD514cs cantilever

Default Eastman MD514cs cantilever

I just bought an Eastman MD514cs on ebay and I don't have it yet. Can anyone tell me if the fretboard is cantilevered on this model. Does anyone have any experience with this model ? I'm anxious to get it.

Default Re: Eastman MD514cs cantilever

No, it’s not. In the Eastman line, all F hole instruments have a cantilevered fretboard, and all oval hole models have it right on the top. Additionally, oval hole models have a shorter 12 fret neck versus 14 or 15 (not sure here) for the f holes. The is consistent throughout the line. Yours is an oval hole.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Thank you multidon. That's good to know as well as disappointing.

No need to feel disappointed. A 514 is a very nice instrument. The shorter neck oval hole has its own lovely tone. Yours is modeled after the Gibson F-2 and F-4 oval holes. Many consider those models to be the nicest looking and sounding mandolins ever made.
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Thanks. I'm new to the mandolin. I've been a guitar picker for many years. I play mostly with the Oregon Old Time Fiddlers. Theres a little bluegrass but its mostly old fiddle tunes and from what I've read and listened to the oval sound hole is more geared to that type music with good sustain and a woody tone. I'm hoping it will work well in that environment. I'm retired and on a strict budget so this is about as high of a price as I can afford. I'm sure that its more capable than I am at this point.

You made a great choice. My only recommendation is to get it properly set up, because I doubt that an e Bay instrument comes with one.
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

You made a very good choice. I really like the sound of the Eastman oval hole mandolins. And think the x14 series is very nice looking, to boot. Remember, a lot of old-time musicians have played Gibson F2 and F4 models, including Chirps Smith.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723