Thread: New Tenor guitar

Default New Tenor guitar

Looking for some feedback from the tenor guitar community. I have been building/experimenting with a variety of scales and styles of tenor guitars. I am currently working on an LP style and the bridge looks too far aft to me. I was hoping to use a tuneamatic style bridge with a stop tailpiece but I don't like the look. My guess is that its so far back on the body because I reduced the size of the body compared to a standard because I wanted the neck to look like it belonged and not to thin of an appearance. Do you think that this is too far aft? Also, I'm curious as to string spacing at the bridge. I have been using 7/16" on center which is common guitar spacing. I'm wondering if thats too wide. Not much consistent info out there on these instruments. Any thoughts, opinions and feedback is appreciated. I'm going to most likely go with a P-90 pickup by Almuse.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tenor1.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	441.6 KB 
ID:	179983   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tenor3.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	491.9 KB 
ID:	179985  

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

Default Re: New Tenor guitar

What is the scale length?
    You are right about the string spacing being very variable, nut size can range from 28mm to 36mm the most common is 32mm.
    Some folk like baritone ukulele style wide spacing and some folk like tenor banjo style narrow spacing... I have built many different neck widths and lengths .
    It looks like you have go to far to start changing things now so I think the bridge placing is perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by fox View Post
    What is the scale length?
    You are right about the string spacing being very variable, nut size can range from 28mm to 36mm the most common is 32mm.
    Some folk like baritone ukulele style wide spacing and some folk like tenor banjo style narrow spacing... I have built many different neck widths and lengths .
    It looks like you have go to far to start changing things now so I think the bridge placing is perfect.
    Scale length is 23". This is just a prototype that I'm trying to figure out some design and construction processes, so nothing is set in stone.

It looks good to me but I'm primarily a bass player so I'm used to the bridge being at the end of the body.
    Blueridge BR-60T Tenor Guitar
    Eastwood Warren Ellis 2P Tenor Guitar

The bridge placement looks fine to me. Something to consider for future builds, though: the luthier I'm working with on a Jazzmaster-style tenor came up with the idea of keeping the original body length, but making it skinnier. A tenor neck is usually going to be just a little shorter than a 6-string neck, but quite a lot thinner, so this solution made everything look proportional.

Interesting idea. I think I'll mock that up in CAD and see how that looks. Thanks

Really nice piece of mahogany and ebony you have there. I'm drooling a bit.

On an acoustic instrument bridge placement is functional whereas on a solid body it is aesthetic. I prefer 2 pickups so lots of room between neck heel and bridge works best.

String spacing is personal but I'd think sticking with guitar spacing for a 23" scale shouldn't be far off, if at all.

Looks like a fun build.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

Have you made any decisions about pickups?

Quote Originally Posted by fox View Post
    Have you made any decisions about pickups?
    I'm going to be working with Pete at Almuse on a set of pickups for it.

I like the bridge at the widest part of the bout, and a trapeze tailpiece. You can obviously vary the neck placement and cutaway to get playability and the tone you desire. Don’t know if that’s solid or hollow body or your desired tone. But they’re all choices easier discovered in layout prior to machining.

My $.02. Ymmv.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A