Thread: Help with budget mandolin.

Default Help with budget mandolin.

Hi, just came across this forum while looking for info on mandolins. Firstly just want to apologise if this is in the wrong section. It's my little sisters birthday in two weeks and I'm just looking for some advice. She has a really cheap mandolin, think it was £50($63). As you can imagine at that price it's quite a poor quality instrument. I'm going to try and get her a new one but I really don't have a clue when it comes to prices and what's the best quality you can get for my price. My budget isn't huge, it's around £200($250). I know it's not a lot but its all I can afford at the moment Any help on a half decent instrument at that price would be appreciated. Thanks for looking.

Default Re: Help with budget mandolin.

You might be interested in this thread regarding the Kentucky KM 150:
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...150-Surprising
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

Hi Chuck Leyda, will definitely look into that one. cheers for the info mate

it's hard for us on this side of the pond to fathom what things cost in Europe. The base line default mandolin will be the Kentucky KM 150 or an Eastman 305. Both I'm sure would be double your budget in the UK.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

A lot of members have vintage 30's-50's Strad-O-Lin brand mandolins, which are USA made and known to play above their price point. They are often available in the $250 range.

As you’ve probably discovered mandolins are few and far between over here. Don’t know where you’re located but Hobgoblin stock the Ashbury range. https://hobgoblin.com/fretted-amp-st...sc&order=price

I’ve had a couple of their instruments and been impressed with their value for money.

They also have some instruments reduced so you might get a nice player at just over your budget.

Whatever you get make sure that they set it up properly for you.

Quote Originally Posted by noah finn View Post
    Looks like this might be the one for you !

Can I make a suggestion? When my partner was delaying replacing his battered laminate guitar, I decided to treat him to a new one. But instruments are a very personal buy so I designed a ‘guitar voucher’ which I presented on his birthday and gave him the money instead. Then we went guitar shopping together. People are so different in size and hand shape and find different neck shapes etc more or less comfortable.

So perhaps you could consider a mando shopping trip together rather than picking one that proves not to be quite right?

10. The following members say thank you to Flutes for this post:

Buy the KM 150. Don't wait. Pounce.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1