Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Did you catch the Ken Burns Country Music series opening?

Default Re: Did you catch the Ken Burns Country Music series opening?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    Look for the Lawrence Welk version on Youtube. He too thought it was a gospel song and his folks performed it on national television on his weekly show.
    That's amazing. I'll take a look at that. Can't wait to tell the wife. We had a good enough laugh last night, when Carlene Carter told the story about her grandma. Lawrence Welk? That's great.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

Very impressive and enjoyable program. They say you can never have too much Cash, but I sure hope Glen Campbell will get more coverage than he has so far.

One of my favorite images. "Uncle Nabob, he ain't a failure. He just started at the bottom and liked it there."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1370.JPG 
Views:	125 
Size:	922.5 KB 
ID:	180098  

4. The following members say thank you to dustyamps for this post:

Great stuff. Although I had to terminate at Epi. 7 and put on some Live Evil to purify..

My only disappointments have been not seeing Homer and Jethro and minimal mention of the Delmore Brothers. I believe it was Hank Williams said "You have not made it in Nashville till your song has been butchered by Homer and Jethro." They would be a natural tie in with Johnny Cash from his show as well as Jethro's relationship with Chet.

The Delmore Brothers had a lot more influence than they are given credit for. They had worked with Grandpa Jones and Merle Travis, all performing together in a quartet, had a lot of influence on Doc Watson, in addition to the influence on brother duet sounds. They also were early adopters of electric guitar and lots of people have played their songs often without clear credit.

Also Arnold Schultz was mentioned in connection with Bill Monroe but he also played with Ike Everly, Mose Rager and Kennedy Jones who Merle Travis learned from. Ike was the Everly Brother's father also. Arnold Schultz may be the most influential virtually unknown figure in country, rock and pop music with his direct influence on Monroe and indirect influence on Travis , the Everly Brothers and everyone they influenced.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CarlM For This Useful Post:

Thanks to all you historians, filling in some of the blanks in my upbringing.

It was nice seeing Guy Clark and Townes Van Zandt, surprised no mention of Steve Earle even though they showed his picture.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

10. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

It was nice seeing Guy Clark and Townes Van Zandt, surprised no mention of Steve Earle even though they showed his picture.
    I kept waiting for some mention of Clarence White when they brought up the Byrds. I believe he joined sometime after Gram Parson's exit? I guess everyone had someone they thought was deserving of a spot?
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

Quote Originally Posted by CarlM View Post
    My only disappointments have been not seeing Homer and Jethro and minimal mention of the Delmore Brothers. I believe it was Hank Williams said "You have not made it in Nashville till your song has been butchered by Homer and Jethro." They would be a natural tie in with Johnny Cash from his show as well as Jethro's relationship with Chet.

The Delmore Brothers had a lot more influence than they are given credit for. They had worked with Grandpa Jones and Merle Travis, all performing together in a quartet, had a lot of influence on Doc Watson, in addition to the influence on brother duet sounds. They also were early adopters of electric guitar and lots of people have played their songs often without clear credit.

Also Arnold Schultz was mentioned in connection with Bill Monroe but he also played with Ike Everly, Mose Rager and Kennedy Jones who Merle Travis learned from. Ike was the Everly Brother's father also. Arnold Schultz may be the most influential virtually unknown figure in country, rock and pop music with his direct influence on Monroe and indirect influence on Travis , the Everly Brothers and everyone they influenced.
    Yeah. Jethro Burns.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

13. The following members say thank you to Bill Kammerzell for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by willkamm View Post
    I kept waiting for some mention of Clarence White when they brought up the Byrds. I believe he joined sometime after Gram Parson's exit? I guess everyone had someone they thought was deserving of a spot?
    Clarence was indeed there after Gram left. Hillman was gone before he got there as well.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by ccravens View Post
    I play fiddle, mandolin, guitar, blues harp, and play most often in the genres of gospel, bluegrass and folk with groups on and off stage.

Does playing music mean that I am allowed to have an opinion on Jazz? So I must be a "professional" Jazz musician to have a knowledgeable opinion? If not, at least I'm so glad that "ya'll' professionals still "love" us measly listeners!

As per Armstrong: I didn't say he wasn't important. Your categorization of him is a subjective opinion and you're welcome to it. As I am mine. I said Miles would have been a better figure to "center" the series, rather than Armstrong. Miles was there playing with Bird during the beginnings of Bop.

So, yeah, I make no apologies for believing Miles to be a better choice than Armstrong to center the series.

I resent, and think it ridiculous, the opinion that if you are not a professional then your opinion has no authority. It borders on a logical fallacy.
    Resentment noted.

I make no apology for my opinion either.

Besides, I'm from New Orleans, learned to play jazz there, and let's say jazz is my folk music.

Miles, Diz, et al wouldn't have even played jazz without the earlier work of Armstrong.

Putting Miles and bop at the center of jazz is a typical error, since ALL the great boppers had learned first how to play swing, and it negates the value of all the wonderful jazz of earlier eras - and later, like fusion, which Miles also helped begin.

Bop is just one style - not the only important style of jazz.

And , I do think that your opinion of jazz as a non-jazz player is equal to my opinion of Bluegrass, as a non-Bluegrass player.

Anyway, I won't change your mind and I certainly am not swayed by your arguments nor resentment.

Peace.

and back to the Country Music show.

Marty has made it a mission to collect the history of the music.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/marty-s...country-music/

http://www.martystuart.com/Collection.htm
    A few years back I purchased a book on Hank Williams, titled, "Hank Williams; Snapshots From the Lost Highway," for a few bucks in a used book store. I've since passed it on to a friend. It has several insets from Marty. At some point he brings up visiting Hank Williams' aunt and purchasing from her a batch of handwritten unpublished songs of Hank's. As he is said to have done with Clarence White's wife, IIRC, when he bought the Telecaster, he handed Hank's aunt a blank check and told her to fill in the amount she wanted. I believed he ended up returning to her home and purchasing other belongings of Hank's. I have the impression the purchases really helped her out.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

Before the series even started it was mentioned that,as in-depth as this series is,someone's favorite would be left out. "Country Music" covers a lot of ground. There are plenty of disussions about what is and what ain't Bluegrass,Jazz,Country,etc. I like the sentiment that,"there's only two kinds of music,good and bad."

Wasn't the original country outlaw named David Allan Coe? There will be many left out of any attempt to document country music.

"If white-bread could sing it would sound like Olivia Newton John." I forget who said that but...dang.

My world has been turned upside down...again. Grits ain't groceries,chicken ain't poultry,Mona Lisa was a man,and
    Dolly Parton ain't a blonde. Great Scott!

I thought somebody might mention the call letters for WSM(we shield millions) radio are the same as Bill Monroe's initials,William Smith Monroe. Sad that ol Bill fought to keep Flatt and Scruggs off the show.

Thank you,Ken Burns!

18. The following members say thank you to V70416 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    Resentment noted.

I make no apology for my opinion either.

Besides, I'm from New Orleans, learned to play jazz there, and let's say jazz is my folk music.

Miles, Diz, et al wouldn't have even played jazz without the earlier work of Armstrong.

Putting Miles and bop at the center of jazz is a typical error, since ALL the great boppers had learned first how to play swing, and it negates the value of all the wonderful jazz of earlier eras - and later, like fusion, which Miles also helped begin.

Bop is just one style - not the only important style of jazz.

And , I do think that your opinion of jazz as a non-jazz player is equal to my opinion of Bluegrass, as a non-Bluegrass player.

Anyway, I won't change your mind and I certainly am not swayed by your arguments nor resentment.

Peace.

and back to the Country Music show.
    Your continued insistence on misrepresenting my statements is either from ignorance or on purpose. Either is not good. I never once put bop at the "center" of jazz. Not directly nor indirectly. It's a straw-man argument. I never said bop was the only important style of jazz, not directly nor indirectly. You might note I mentioned many others.

I'll say it again, I think it was a mistake to use Armstrong as a figure to center the series around, and think Miles would have made a better figure to center it around. I said nothing about centering jazz around one figure. Maybe you misread.

I understand how being from New Orleans does prejudice your opinion. That is obvious, and I have no problem with that.

I'm glad you're not swayed by my resentment, as I am not by your arrogance. There, we've found common ground!

Enjoy the rest of the series. It has been wonderful so far!
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

20. The following members say thank you to ccravens for this post:

Blog Entries

For those watching you are seeing Bill Malone speaking. We did a big feature article on him just last year which you may enjoy:

Bill Malone is Still Digging in the Roots of Country Music

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

The film of Guy and Steve (and a few others) sitting around the table at Guy and Susana's house is excellent. Steve looked so young (and skinny). There are some Youtube videos of it.

I love the amount of attention they devoted to Townes.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

I'm glad you're not swayed by my resentment, as I am not by your arrogance. There, we've found common ground!
    I own my jazz arrogance happily, and admit to being a "card carrying musical elitist".

Thanks for being civil.

25. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

The film of Guy and Steve (and a few others) sitting around the table at Guy and Susana's house is excellent. Steve looked so young (and skinny). There are some Youtube videos of it.

I love the amount of attention they devoted to Townes.
    I believe the video on Youtube (and on this documentary) is from another film documentary but I can't check it from where I'm at right now. I'm a huge Townes fan as well as Guy and Steve.

OK, it comes from a film name Heartworn Highways. I've only seen the stuff at Guy and Susana's house.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

27. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    For those watching you are seeing Bill Malone speaking. We did a big feature article on him just last year which you may enjoy:

Bill Malone is Still Digging in the Roots of Country Music
    Thank you!

It's funny, I kept looking at that guy and saying "the name seems familiar but I can't place it."
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by willkamm View Post
    ….Marty. At some point he brings up visiting Hank Williams' aunt and purchasing from her a batch of handwritten unpublished songs of Hank's. As he is said to have done with Clarence White's wife, IIRC, when he bought the Telecaster, he handed Hank's aunt a blank check and told her to fill in the amount she wanted. I believed he ended up returning to her home and purchasing other belongings of Hank's. I have the impression the purchases really helped her out.
    First, I should say I like Marty Stuart and I believe he has a lot of talent. AND, in addition to all his talent, he has certainly made a career out of being at the right place at the right time -- meeting Connie Smith and later marrying her, playing with Lester Flatt, and playing with Johnny Cash and marrying into his family (different marriages, of course.....!)

Second, he is known as a collector of cool stuff, especially stuff related to the history of country music. In addition to buying stuff personally, he was also in charge of locating musical stuff for the Country Music Hall of Fame museum in Nashville. I believe he had a title there of some sort.

Anyway, the "blank check" story makes for wonderful reading, but makes Marty seems like some kind of multi-millionaire philanthropist who overpays for stuff he likes on a regular basis --that is not the case. I'm sure the "amount" that was filled in was a few hundred dollars rather than thousands, I'm guessing......I remember Tony Rice bought Clarence's "other" guitar for $600 or so, after Clarence's wife had it appraised by a local violin dealer....for example. Marty also has a lot of priceless stuff he got for free from people who liked him...…

I say this after my buddy and I tried to "sell" Marty a vintage Fender amp that was owned originally by Luther Perkins, knowing that Marty was the world's biggest Luther fan. We figured EVEN if Marty didn't want the amp for himself, he certainly would want it for the museum. In addition, we have a friend who personally knows Marty to make the call for us. He "warned" us that Marty was "cheap" but we thought how cheap could he be he owns all this great vintage stuff?!! So, anyway, the amp is worth several thousand as a vintage 50's Fender amp, and we were asking a small premium for being Luther's with all the proper documentation and photos, etc. Nothing out of the ordinary. Totally legitimate amp. Anyway, when Marty heard the price he went insane and went into a rant and told our friend "how dare you bring these guys asking big money for stuff to me...…..?!!!" Needless to say, he didn't buy it.

So, that's my personal slant. I'm not sure how the museum has all that great stuff unless it is all on "loan" from private owners.....???

Like I say, I love Marty's talent and enjoy his tv show and sense of humor...….but he still thinks it is 1957, especially when it comes to prices!

30. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    ...but he still thinks it is 1957, especially when it comes to prices!
    Hmmm, he wasn't even born in 1957
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

32. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Hmmm, he wasn't even born in 1957
    Exactly!

OK. I just got caught up with binge watching Monday and Tuesday. The series could end with Episode 7 and it would be complete for me.
    Being right is overrated. Doing right is what matters.

Northfield F5S Blacktop
    Pono MND-20H

Agreed. Not all that interested in the Alabama/Garth Brooks/Lady Antebellum destination...

36. The following members say thank you to Kevin Winn for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    So, that's my personal slant. I'm not sure how the museum has all that great stuff unless it is all on "loan" from private owners.....???
    Like I say, I love Marty's talent and enjoy his tv show and sense of humor...….but he still thinks it is 1957, especially when it comes to prices!
    My impression is that there are at least two types of patrons in the museum world. The philanthropist who can pay market rate for the items that museums want to have, and donate them. And the 'insider' who has or had early access, and through horse-trading, good will, and timeliness is able to acquire the same. I have never heard how Marty would have earned enough money to pay for a collection worth many millions if it were to go to auction tomorrow. So I've always assumed he did it using the 'insider' technique, along with a lifetime's passion. Probably with the occasional help of wealthy patrons/friends.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

38. The following members say thank you to BradKlein for this post: