Thread: Binding laminate

Default Binding laminate

I'm building an f5 mandolin and need help with how to laminate the binding. I've tried a search in the cafe and haven't found anything helpful. I bought the material from StewMac and thought there was a way to buy the binding already laminated. (yep, I'm a novice) I using 2 - .002 & 1 - .040. Is there some info on how to use acetone to adhere? Are there fixture or gig for that?
    Abe

Default Re: Binding laminate

Stew-Mac sells a binding laminator that works pretty well: https://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tool...Laminator.html

I use it with celluloid binding. I brush acetone on a few-inch section of binding and slowly pull it through the laminator to squeeze it together. FOor small quantities I'm sure you could rig up your own laminator or just press the binding together by hand. You have to be sure to press the pieces together before the acetone has a chance to flash off, which happens very quickly. After laminating a section of binding, I brush more acetone on the whole thing, to make sure I didn't miss any spots. Then I give it a few days before cutting to final size. After installing the binding, I give it at least a month before scraping/sanding it flush with the wood, to let it shrink back as much as possible (acetone swells it quite a bit).

www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

4. The following members say thank you to j. condino for this post:

Thanks Andrew. I just bought the tool from StewMax. Also appreciate the tip on the acetone.

Checked out the link. Wish I waited a little before buying all the stuff to make my own binding. Looks like the website is an alternative for supplies. Thanks for the help.

Axiom is the only place in the States I know of to get real celluloid binding. Not sure what binding scheme you are using? I've found the traditional .090" ivoroid/b/w strips are a lot easier to laminate on the instrument if you are doing and F5. I use the .040" B/W and have Bill at Axiom trim .060" ivoroid to .050".

Prebend the scroll curves as separate pieces and glue them up on the instrument. Makes life a little easier. As if anything is easy on an F5!

Really appreciate the comments! I bought the Don MacRostie video and did not seem to have much instructions on laminating. I'm using the Roger Siminoff Bluegrass Mandolin manual for building mine. Just about finished the bold and will be doing the binding. Not sure what kind of joint I'll use for the neck. any suggestions would be great. Leaning to the v-neck with the pegs; never did a dovetail.

As to the binding: StewMac doesn't sell celluloid binding. I think most of what they sell is ABS. Call them and ask. Acetone isn't going to bond that material going through their jig. That's made for celluloid. Like Andrew said, you don't need that jig for celluloid anyway, but it is handy.
    Axiom (Bill James) is great.

Dale - what works with gluing strips of ABS binding together?
    Nic Gellie

Stew Mac had stopped selling celluloid. They now sell ivoroid and tortoise again:
    https://www.stewmac.com/Materials_an...astic_Binding/

Axiom is a great place to get celluloid binding.

Adrian Minarovic

ABS can be glued using acetone as well. I've used thin CA for laminating even for celluloid with good results (especially adding thin BW accent to create side-binding a'la Monroe). Acetone can cause the thin layers melt and bleed into the light colored if you are not too careful. And CA doesn't swell the strips.
    Adrian

13. The following members say thank you to HoGo for this post:

Try Lutherie Mercantile also. Limo.com. I’m also a fan of axiom

Interesting link, but no binding content!
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

Nick- sorry I didn't reply. I wasn't paying attention. This stuff should work. I haven't used much ABS binding. I'm not a big fan of the look but that's just me.
    https://www.lmii.com/glue/2947-bindi...ent-15-oz.html