Thread: Ohana prototype tenor guitar video

Default Ohana prototype tenor guitar video

One of the Facebook groups I am on, someone posted this link to a prototype spruce top, acacia back and sides tenor guitar that Ohana will be coming out with sometime in the near future. Here is a short video clip of it https://youtu.be/9nh6jepnGMI

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

Default Re: Ohana prototype tenor guitar video

Designed for uke players?
    Not surprising as more and more folk seem to be tuning (and arguing about) dgbe.

If i recall correctly, Pono and Theukulelesite introduced something similar way back when. Was larger than a baritone, and I believe could sustain steel strings.This was when I played baritone. I thought about upgrading.

Its definitely an option for baritone players. I always felt when I play out with my baritone that some would consider it a "toy". I felt that if i bought something bigger, I might be taken more seriously. But in retrospect, the baritone got a lot of attention. Its nice to have the option.

Hmm. Is there a great schism over which tuning is best for tenor guitar?

Not so much on this forum although a few years back when theses pages were a bit more active, there always seemed to be a strong preference for 5ths.
    Definitely some heated arguments on other forums and especially Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by fox View Post
    Not so much on this forum although a few years back when theses pages were a bit more active, there always seemed to be a strong preference for 5ths.
    Definitely some heated arguments on other forums and especially Facebook.
    Oh God, even a year or so ago, there was a Facebook tenor site, and the guy that was the owner of it was such a stick in the mud about having to be CGDA that he banned people from talking about GDAE tuning as well as DGBE tuning. I personally think, no matter how it is being tuned, as long as someone is taking the time to learn to play it in whatever tuning they go with, it is being played and presented, be at home, a worship building, farmers market, gig, whatever and exposing people to the tenor. I remember someone having one from when I was in high school and that was it until I was reading the notes to an Ani DiFranco album and she was credited as playing tenor guitar on that track. Cut to a few years ago, and I got my first.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjop1975 View Post
    Oh God, even a year or so ago, there was a Facebook tenor site, and the guy that was the owner of it was such a stick in the mud about having to be CGDA that he banned people from talking about GDAE tuning as well as DGBE tuning. I personally think, no matter how it is being tuned, as long as someone is taking the time to learn to play it in whatever tuning they go with, it is being played and presented, be at home, a worship building, farmers market, gig, whatever and exposing people to the tenor. I remember someone having one from when I was in high school and that was it until I was reading the notes to an Ani DiFranco album and she was credited as playing tenor guitar on that track. Cut to a few years ago, and I got my first.
    Is that the Tenorguitar/baritoneuke facebook group? Either way, that's super lame. I mean to be close minded in general never bodes well... But with music?? It's outright counter-intuitive.

Quote Originally Posted by EJMUSIC View Post
    Is that the Tenorguitar/baritoneuke facebook group? Either way, that's super lame. I mean to be close minded in general never bodes well... But with music?? It's outright counter-intuitive.
    No, I am a member there and while some people are stuck that tenors need to be CGDA on that site, no it wasn't. It is rather closed minded, sort of how the dulcimer community can be. There are some super traditional dulcimer players and some that are not. I personally play traditional style out of what is called bagpipe tuning, but I appreciate all styles and not a stick in the mud about my way or the highway.

Yeah it doesn’t bother me what tuning people decided to use but as a six string player myself , DGBE is not a tuning I would use.
    I used to play GDAE tenor banjo and I still use that style of playing on my tenor guitars, mainly single note melody with the odd chord and double stop.

The six string is such a wonderful and adaptable instrument but removing two string does not make much sense for me personally especially when you can buy a six string of equal quality for half the price of a four String!

I can completely understand how ukulele players would like to have a go with steel stings with more volume by buying a tenor guitar, i believe this is the reason that tenor guitars tuned in fourths are becoming so popular.