Thread: mando in $300 price range for Italian songs

Default mando in $300 price range for Italian songs

I have a friend who wants to buy a mandolin to accompany himself when singing Italian songs. Are there any instruments in the $300 price range that might work well for that?

Also could use a rec on a good place to buy. Do any shops include the price of a setup in the sale price?
    Last edited by JTC111; Sep-14-2019 at 3:47pm.

Default Re: mando in $300 price range for Italian songs

Where are you located?
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Where are you located?
    New York. But buying online is an option.

Find an old bowl back or flat back Mandolin. A great visual to go with the music. And most of them sell below the $300 range. My father-in-law’s Mayflower bowl back (or “tater bud” ) Mandolin would have the look and sound to go with Italian songs.

5. The following members say thank you to Rodney Riley for this post:

JTC111 

Blog Entries

I paid ~$300 for my Vega bowlback and it looks and sounds pretty good. It sounds good with O Solo Mio and Santa Lucia (my whole Italian repertoire). I see them on eBay from time to time for about the same cost as mine.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HonketyHank For This Useful Post:

I appreciate the suggestions but my friend doesn't really have the experience to deal with an antique instrument. This will be his first mandolin and he needs it to play well with minimal work. As many of us who have bought antique instruments (in my case, guitars) know, there can be hidden issues that will cause us to invest quite a bit of money after the purchase. My buddy is going to be a new player and as such won't have the experience to evaluate or recognize issues with an antique instrument.

Best would be a used flattop like Big Muddy/MidMissouri or Flatiron or a few others. The only problem there would be the price. If $300 is his top price then any of those I mentioned would be a true bargain at that price and may not be readily available at under his top price.

In all honestly it doesn't really matter what music he plays. Your friend can play Italian music on any mandolin. I suggested flattops for the sustain which would be nice to accompany singing. However, at that price I would just go for a decently made budget mandolin like these in his price range at Elderly. Elderly, the Mandolin store and many of the other MC sponsor-dealers would be good bets since they are attentive to set up.
    Last edited by Jim Garber; Sep-16-2019 at 10:47am.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

10. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

JTC111 

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    However, at that price I would just go for a decently made budget mandolin like these in his price range at Elderly. Elderly, the Mandolin store and many of the other MC sponsor-dealers would be good bets since they are attentive to set up.
    I think The Mandolin Store includes a setup in the purchase price. Does Elderly do that as well? My only instrument experience with Elderly was when I bought a Bart Reiter banjo from them more than a decade ago.

I'd go for this Eastman LA-305 for $280.
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/144304#144304
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	144304.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	122.3 KB 
ID:	179893
    Same model as Eastman MD-305, but labeled for Music&Arts retail.
    New, $500.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stevojack665 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by stevojack665 View Post
    I'd go for this Eastman LA-305 for $280.
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/144304#144304
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	144304.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	122.3 KB 
ID:	179893
    Same model as Eastman MD-305, but labeled for Music&Arts retail.
    New, $500.
    Thanks for the heads up on that. I passed the info along.

Quote Originally Posted by JTC111 View Post
    I think The Mandolin Store includes a setup in the purchase price. Does Elderly do that as well? My only instrument experience with Elderly was when I bought a Bart Reiter banjo from them more than a decade ago.
    Yes, Elderly does that as well as other MC vendors. From their About page:
    Our repair shop sets up most instruments (new and used), unless we are selling them AS-IS at a bargain price.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

16. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

JTC111 

mando-evangelist August Watters's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If the purpose is to sing Italian songs, I'd get an Italian-style instrument. There are some dealers who have vintage instruments in that price range and are reliable in terms of quality. Try Stutzman's and Bernunzio, both in Rochester.
    Exploring Classical Mandolin (Berklee Press, 2015)
    Progressive Melodies for Mandocello (KDP, 2019) (2nd ed. 2022)
    New Solos for Classical Mandolin (Hal Leonard Press, 2020)
    2021 guest artist, mandocello: Classical Mandolin Society of America