Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Bickford Mando-cello Method

Default Re: New Bickford Mando-cello Method

Snagged. Excellent effort, you're doing God's work here!
    Pomeroy #244 Custom Mandocello - "Liuto Americano"
    NS Design CR6 Electric Cello

it is 100% public domain. even if there was a hypothetical reprint from say 1953 with a 1953 copyright, that copyright would only protect any new content. if there wasn't any new content, then the copyright would be unenforceable.

Quote Originally Posted by Classicalcomp View Post
    The official date of this method is copyright 1913 which would put it in the public domain. I think the mandolin method is 1920 but there's questions about the validity of what version that is because it's been reprinted. But I think that all are fine.

If you'd like some pre-work for the convention, I'll send you some stuff. I've got 1-16 ish done and 73-end done. It's still only in universal but if you want bass clef, I can look at doing it.

The copy I was taking from was 1915, so yes 100% this is a public domain work worldwide.

My college career was spent studying copyright so i am careful about what sources I pull from and if I can verify their dates.

I will have some more bickford stuff coming in the near future and have verified the copyrights have expired for those also.

Quote Originally Posted by mlewis1973 View Post
    it is 100% public domain. even if there was a hypothetical reprint from say 1953 with a 1953 copyright, that copyright would only protect any new content. if there wasn't any new content, then the copyright would be unenforceable.
    (I was) my own teacher and pupil, and thanks to the efforts
    of both, they were not discontented with each other. -- Segovia

Lawrence Smart Stern 2-point Mandolin
    Lawrence Smart Stern 2-point Mandola
    Weber Gallatin Mandocello
    Weber Gallatin Soprano (Piccolo) Mandolin
    Breedlove Prototype Mandolin

Default Re: New Bickford Mandocello Method

This is the Universal Clef version (exactly the same as the original). I'm giving it away free here because really I thank all of you for helping me a) get this version, and b) giving me the inspiration to make a current version of it.

I do want to thank some people outright though for massive assistance.

Jim Imhoff, Martin Jonas, and Bill Foley, thank you for sending me the first copies of this. You really kickstarted it.

Special thanks to Joe Bartl who went to the library of congress today and got me the missing pages from the back and the middle. I'm so glad that you found it and got me those pages. I did ok with my interpretations, but your confirmations were awesome.

SO WHAT'S NEXT

Bass Clef and Tab Version. Give me a little time to work on that. I do want feedback on the original before I go and make the next books.
    Thanks, Benjamin -- very useful! Are you still planning on preparing an edition in octave treble clef, i.e. one octave lower than the universal notation? That would be useful for OM and guitar players (and for mandocello players who find reading octave treble clef easier than bass clef, i.e. me).

Martin

Ben!
    A big question at my CMSA Mandocello Workshop was "bass clef? ... Please?" and you have answered that call. I will get word to my com-bass clef-patriots, and there were a lot of us--at least 25 mandocellos and a couple lituo cantabiles. Thank you for this important contribution, and to the clarity on the whole copyright issue.
    Jim

Thanks everyone. Just a few answers.

Martin G-Clef will be coming probably after the Tab version is done (which I'm working on now). The biggest issue with that is the mandolin and guitar accompaniments would have to be adjusted in a couple of spots.

All of the methods will be going up on my musicaneo site once I feel they're on their way to being done. I still have to do some more editing, clef fixing, etc, and with the tab one, it's going to take a little time.

As for costs, I'll probably bundle them all together for like $5 or you can get specific ones for around $1-2. I'm not trying to make money, just recoup a little cost on my side and pay for some printing (and hopefully get some international buyers). Anyone who has helped me or who is a long time provider to the forum, if you just message me, I'll get you a copy once they're done.

Even with all of the editing, I've already started on the next project which is the Advanced Mandocello book and I have my centerpiece already completed. Can't wait to share it with you all.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7022.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	180735

this is awesome.... I would rank the utility of the various versions as follows:

1. bass clef version
    2-3. tie between G-transposed treble clef 8va for octave
    and an untransposed treble clef 8va (with low C string in bass clef) to match how Calace liuto works are typeset (did you consider this?)
    4. tab
    5. 15va treble clef

Hello everyone. I wanted to give a very brief preview of my plans for the method. I’ve included 3 below. The MC version is basically universal clef but with the 15ma clef replaced, there is also a BC version for bass clef, and a G TC version for Octave Mandolin. I’m also considering doing one with tablature (gosh help us all, but especially some of the later pieces I could see it being helpful).

With that said, fonts are not completely chosen, how I’m going to incorporate text is not quite done, so this is more asking for thoughts about the versions. Are the 3 versions wanted? Useful? Etc.

Constructive Critiques are always welcome.

Thanks,
    Benjamin

Thanks everyone. Just a few answers.

Martin G-Clef will be coming probably after the Tab version is done (which I'm working on now). The biggest issue with that is the mandolin and guitar accompaniments would have to be adjusted in a couple of spots.
    Thanks for that, Benjamin. Are you referring to an edition in G clef transposed to a different pitch/key? I was thinking of simply having the universal notation edition written one octave lower, in octave treble clef rather than double octave treble clef, but without any transposing -- see the attached example for the Cantabile etude which I transcribed a while ago. I don't think this would need any adjusting of the accompaniments, just a quick change of clef in the Musescore file from bass clef to octave treble.

Thanks for all your efforts!

Martin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bickford Cantabile (octave treble clef).pdf  

Thank you for sharing your efforts. I have been looking for a copy of Bickfords for several years. I downloaded the files, printed and spiral bound it. Shown in the attached photo with my circa 1912 K4.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5784084B-7FEB-4BCE-8752-89AA1379186E.jpeg 
Views:	52 
Size:	172.2 KB 
ID:	180764

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest Mandolins View Post
    Thank you for sharing your efforts. I have been looking for a copy of Bickfords for several years. I downloaded the files, printed and spiral bound it. Shown in the attached photo with my circa 1912 K4.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5784084B-7FEB-4BCE-8752-89AA1379186E.jpeg 
Views:	52 
Size:	172.2 KB 
ID:	180764
    That is a beautiful instrument. I would love a Gibson K-4, but I’m also very happy with my Weber Gallatin Mandocello. I saw that Weber made a 10 string mandocello at one time. That would be the dream instrument, but I’m sure that would cost me a kidney and some other organs to afford it

I hope that you find some use with the method, There are some good parts in it. I’ve located some clef errors in that version. Just some missing the 15 at the bottom of the clef, so if something doesn’t seem like it should be being played 2 octaves up, it probably is missing the octave clef sign.

Also, I don’t know of you read bass clef, but there will be a version of that coming out shortly also. I have some friends looking over that portion and hope to have it ready in the next month or so.

Thanks for the effort, benjamin. I have the original, but this is a great resource and I look forward to the bass clef version!

Col B