Thread: Bucolo Mandolin. Where can I find info on the model

Default Bucolo Mandolin. Where can I find info on the model

Hi, I am new to this site and find the info just fascinating on the many conversations about mandolins. I am not familiar with the kinds and styles of mandolins, (just listening) but when my uncle passed away he left me his Bucolo Mandolin. One of his friends offered me $50 to take it off my hands, but I declined and I have had it displayed at my home.
    I now think someone needs to enjoy using and playing this instrument.
    Can anyone suggest how to determine the model of this mandolin or where I can find additional info on its value so it can ultimately find a better home with someone who will enjoy playing it? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	104.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	179733Click image for larger version. 

Name:	103.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	179734Click image for larger version. 

Name:	115.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	110.9 KB 
ID:	179735Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	179736Click image for larger version. 

Name:	106.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	179738

Default Re: Bucolo Mandolin. Where can I find info on the model

Ern, I’m fairly sure that’s not a mandolin but a bouzouki, there will be someone here with far more knowledge than I who will confirm or repudiate my opinion.
    When your uncle played do remember what kind of music he played and with whom? The folks he played with might have more than passing interest. As for the name? I haven’t a clue but, I’m pretty sure one of the many kind folks here will have more information. It might be a day or two before you get much response but, it will come. Good luck.
    You could learn to play it too, just another opinion.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

3. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

Ern 

Well ––

1. It definitely is a "bouzouki," if by that we mean a long-necked mandolin-like instrument, whether the original Greek bouzouki -- which had six strings, in three courses -- or the derivative eight-stringed instruments which are often tuned like octave mandolins, GGDDAAEE low to high.

2. Couldn't find anything on Bucolo bouzoukis, but a fair amount on other stringed instruments, including "gypsy" guitars such as those played by Django Reinhardt. Apparently there was a Sicilian Bucolo family that made guitars etc.; here's a quote from a Django website:

The Bucolo guitars were made by the Bucolo family that came from the town of Catania in Sicily (Italy). They were among the most influent luthiers in Sicily and exported in many countries. One is Horace Bucolo but I don't know for P. (Pietro, Patrizio, who knows???). Actually you should try to contact Jean-Pierre Bucolo in France a guitarist which is the son of one of the famous luthiers Bucolo that worked in Rue Keller in Paris. Born in 1954 he is a famous professionnal guitarist (Ref Johnny Halliday) recently awarded in 2014 with the "Grand Prix de la Chanson" of the SACEM but the guy is quite hard to find...

Here's a two-year-old thread from someone researching the Bucolo family of luthiers. Your particular instrument looks fairly modern; how long did your uncle own it? I will defer to the bouzouki experts among us, as far as appraising this one's quality, age, and projected market value. There is another forum further "down the page" devoted to octave mandolins, mandolas, and bouzoukis, and you might investigate posting your pics there.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Hello Timbofood,
    I sent a thank you message yesterday but I don't see it posted. I may have done something wrong that it didn't post. Anyway, I was just thanking you for identifying this instrument as a "bouzouki". I've never heard of a bouzouki so this is so interesting to learn about. My uncle was from South Carolina and he liked Blue Grass but played other guitars, mandolin, and bouzouki instruments. That's all I really know since he was a very private man and I only got to know him when he had gotten sick and I helped care for him for a short period of time. Thank you again for sharing your knowledge with me.

Hello Allen Hopkins, I know you have probably heard this many times but you share a very famous name in the billiards industry with a former world champion billiard player named Allen Hopkins. I used to own a billiard room in NJ and Allen Hopkins played many an evening in my room. (an amazing billiards, 3 cushion, one pocket, and straight pool player). I almost fell off my chair when I read the name.. lol..
    Anyway, I would like to thank you for sharing your time and knowledge with me to confirm the instrument called a bouzouki. As I mentioned to Tim L in a previous post that I've never heard of this instrument, but find it fascinating to read posts about mandolins, guitars, bouzouki etc.. I will take your recommendations and post info in the octave mandolins, mandolas, and bouzouki page. This site is fantastic and I'd like to thank the owner and administrator's on a job well done. Kudos to them. (please pass it on as I'm sure you know them).
    As to your question of how long my uncle owned it? I really don't know but I agree that is most likely modern. My uncle was a private man and hardly ever shared a story or comment about his instruments. I only know a little about him playing because I helped him for a short period of time when he got sick. I know he really liked Blue Grass.
    Thank you again for sharing your time with me.

7. The following members say thank you to Ern for this post:

Yeah, Ern, I'm well aware of the name similarity -- as well as another Allen Hopkins, apparently a broadcaster of soccer games. I'm pretty far down the pecking order of "Famous Allen Hopkinses."

Good luck finding out more about your uncle's instrument. It would be interesting to know if he tried to play bluegrass on it...!
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM