Thread: Complete recordings of Calace's works for liuto cantabile?

Default Complete recordings of Calace's works for liuto cantabile?

Hello all,

I'd love to hear a complete or complete-ish compilation of Calace's works for liuto for inspiration, but I can't seem to find one anywhere. Anyone have any leads? Happy to make a purchase, in case anyone thinks I'm asking for free stuff :-)

Thanks all.
    Pomeroy #244 Custom Mandocello - "Liuto Americano"
    NS Design CR6 Electric Cello

Default Re: Complete recordings of Calace's works for liuto cantabile?

A selection of Calace's solo works for liuto was recorded by Fabio Giudice. I reviewed it in the May 2015 issue of the CMSA Mandolin Journal in my "Short Reviews" series. The review is reproduced below. If you want the artist's contact address PM me.

Guidice, Fabio, “Raffaele Calace (1863-1934) opera per liuto cantabile solo"

Also known as the “liuto moderno” (literally, modern lute) the liuto cantabile was invented in Italy in the late nineteenth century. Its five courses are tuned (bottom to the top) CGDAE, with the (low) C two octaves below middle C. As such, the liuto cantabile covers simultaneously the range of the mandocello (or mandoloncello as it was originally called in Europe) and the octave mandolin, slightly larger than the modern guitar. It is said that the liuto cantabile was Calace’s favorite instrument and it was the only instrument on which he personally recorded any of his compositions (in Japan in the 1920s). Calace wrote around twenty pieces for solo liuto cantabile; a concerto; and a handful of pieces for liuto and mandolin, and liuto and piano; plus numerous works in which the liuto figures as an ensemble instrument. This body of work characterizes almost the entirety of the solo music for liuto cantabile from the Golden Age; and it is fair to say that, until very recently, it had been almost entirely neglected in favor of Calace’s mandolin compositions. Of special importance are eight preludes that Calace penned for solo liuto cantabile, comparable in scope (and difficulty) to the far better-known ten that he composed for solo mandolin. Fabio Giudice is one of a number of Italian mandolinists, conservatory trained and highly accomplished, who are revisiting the golden age of Italian mandolin; without question, Giudice is one of the very best performers worldwide on the liuto cantabile. The recording under review features four of the preludes (#4, #6, #7, and #12) and six other solo works, including the wonderfully evocative “Barcarola” (op. 116) and (ditto) “Souvenir de Shaghai” (op. 140). Being a live recording it has an exciting, immediate presence. Musically, Guidice is rock solid, and his sound is deep and soulful. Absolutely essential to anyone who plays (or loves) liuto cantabile, I obtained a copy directly from the artist.
    Robert A. Margo

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to margora For This Useful Post:

Wonderful review, and thanks for the lead! Unfortunately, my Google Fu doesn't seem equal to the task of finding a link to actually purchase this CD anywhere. Do you happen to know the publisher?

"Wonderful review, and thanks for the lead! Unfortunately, my Google Fu doesn't seem equal to the task of finding a link to actually purchase this CD anywhere."

As my review/posting indicates, you need to contact the artist directly via email. If you want the email, PM me.
    Robert A. Margo

6. The following members say thank you to margora for this post:

Ah, indeed it's plainly stated right there in your message. I've sent a PM, thank you!

I hope he will have copies at the Convention, it's always nice to purchase in person. And signed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Imhoff View Post
    I hope he will have copies at the Convention, it's always nice to purchase in person. And signed!
    Just had a quick chat with him, I believe he will indeed be bringing copies.

An occasional lament: I have fine recordings of many of Calace's liuto cantabile works performed by Calace himself, Giudice, Orlandi, Kisseljow, etc. Still wanted are recordings of Calace's 13° Preludio, op.148 and 3° Concerto, op.150. I believe Alex Timmerman shared word of a Japanese release of the concerto years ago, but I couldn't track it down for sale and have still never heard the work.

Once Calace's works entered public domain, his family made them all available. You thus have no excuses, players of liuto cantabile!

11. The following members say thank you to Eugene for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene View Post

Once Calace's works entered public domain, his family made them all available. You thus have no excuses, players of liuto cantabile!
    I don't know if this is an excuse, but at least I'm working on it, and I have many downloads from the Spartini site. Having started late in life, I am a perpetual beginner, but Fabio has me working on a couple of Calace's easier pieces on my Dusepo liuto/cittern. I spend most of my time on the mandocello, and most of Calace's work is well beyond my aging fingers' dexterity. After lobbying for more attention to the mandocello (recent events much appreciated, CMSA) I will leave it to better players to start a Renaissance of 10 string liuto cantabile music. Keep up the good fight, Mr. Celloronin.
    Jim

Dr James S Imhoff
    Boston University
    Oregon Mandolin Orchestra

1912 Gibson K4 Mandocello; Thomann Mandocello; Stiver F5; American? Bowlback; Martin 00016; Dusepo Cittern/liuto cantabile

"An occasional lament: I have fine recordings of many of Calace's liuto cantabile works performed by Calace himself, Giudice, Orlandi, Kisseljow, etc. Still wanted are recordings of Calace's 13° Preludio, op.148 ..."

#13 is one of the most beautiful of the liuto preludes, IMHO. My liuto needs a fair amount of work at the moment before it is (readily) playable again but, as it happens, past experience is that #13 is one of the liuto preludes that can be adapted to mandola in G fairly easily -- which I just confirmed by playing through it (and re-familiaring myself w/the relevant fingerings) after my morning coffee. Likely to be a while, but I will put it on the agenda for a video.
    Robert A. Margo