Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Valuing a Gibson by Dr Lori

Default Valuing a Gibson by Dr Lori

I have no idea who this person is or what the event was but she clearly is no expert on mandolins.

Looks like an A- Jr with non original pick guard clamp. I think she is off by about 6K.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Charles E. For This Useful Post:

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Default Re: Valuing a Gibson by Dr Lori

Yeah but... she makes up for it by sounding authoritative. Guess I'm gonna have to buy white gloves to play my '17 A-1!
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

4. The following members say thank you to EdHanrahan for this post:

Well, it could be a 1928 or later A0, in which case the pickguard attachment could be original.

It does surprise me from time to time how woefully ignorant antique dealers can be about musical instruments. (Antique dealers tend to use the word "piece"; instrument dealers don't. Never trust the word of any "expert" who calls a musical instrument a "piece.")

Even worse IMHO than the inaccurate valuation and the pontificating is the racism inherent in her claim that immigrants played mandolins because they were "easier for them to play," as if immigrants somehow had less musical skill than others.
    Last edited by mrmando; Sep-09-2019 at 3:06pm.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrmando For This Useful Post:

Thanks Martin, if it is a late 20's A-O, would the tailpiece be original?
    I thought it was funny that she valued an A-4 a few years earlier for far less then this one.
    Charley

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    It does surprise me from time to time how woefully ignorant antique dealers can be about musical instruments. (Antique dealers tend to use the word "piece"; instrument dealers don't. Never trust the word of any "expert" who calls a musical instrument a "piece.")

Even worse IMHO than the inaccurate valuation and the pontificating is the racism inherent in her claim that immigrants played mandolins because they were "easier to play," as if immigrants somehow had less musical skill than others.
    Great observation. Letดs get the mind rambling... Chinese immigrants are able to play the mandolin whereas african immigrants have the banjo reserved for themselves... the spanish have the guitar and the italians (Stradivari, Guarnieri et al.) have the violins/fiddles... whereas the Scotts/Irish have the bagpipes, the Germans have the grunts and the Gauls have the war harps.

Boy howdy does that make me some politically incorrect cuss. Iดm not even an immigrant, I do play some instruments that would have me to change skin color twice over, while I donดt grunt...

But... if she getดs that mandolin sold for that price... more power for the seller (if he/she gets the better part of the sales price).
    Olaf

9. The following members say thank you to grassrootphilosopher for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    Thanks Martin, if it is a late 20's A-O, would the tailpiece be original?
    Boy howdy, that is a conundrum, ain't it? There aren't many A0s out there. I found one for one of our orchestra members years ago and she played it for a long time, but she's no longer with the orchestra and I don't recall what kind of tailpiece it had.

Here, though, is one from the Archive with the cloud tailpiece and the screw-on pickguard support, just like the instrument in the video: http://www.mandolinarchive.com/gibson/serial/86740

I see that the Dr. Lori instrument has got a headstock logo in the correct position for 1928, strengthening the case for this being an A0. A Junior would have a plain headstock.

I thought it was funny that she valued an A-4 a few years earlier for far less then this one.
    Even antique dealers should know that a sunburst finish is more valuable than a plain brown one. Shouldn't they?

In any case, if she's seen only two Gibson mandolins in 4–5 years, she is quite obviously well outside of her bailiwick here ... a fact that a more modest "expert" might have seen fit to acknowledge.
    Last edited by mrmando; Sep-09-2019 at 3:27pm.

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Thanks Martin, looks like you nailed it.
    Charley

The opening bid on Gibson mandolins on Ebay just went up again...
    "it's not in bad taste, if it's funny" - john waters

She really has no clue but, she thinks she does!

14. The following members say thank you to Skip Kelley for this post:

This person is a complete fraud,,I doubt very much she's even a "doctor".

Blog Entries

Hey I want to see the video of another maybe know it all Dr.!, but it doesn't show up on my computer? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by William Smith View Post
    Hey I want to see the video of another maybe know it all Dr.!, but it doesn't show up on my computer? Why?
    No, you don’t, she’s not as well versed as she seems to think she is.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

18. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

If you can't see the embedded video, you can try it on YouTube:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=uY2_sR-ERU4

I thought a "piece" was a gun or another weapon. Some say that the word is short for "Peacemaker" the famous Colt.

As others have pointed out, it is a circa 1930 A-0 with a cloud tailpiece and it looks all original and far less valuable than the estimate given. Just be thankful, this woman is not a civil engineer building bridges.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NickR For This Useful Post:

You feel bad for the guy thinking he has a mandolin worth $7K when it is worth 1/4 or less? And then we wonder where people come up with ridiculous prices on instruments for sale.

She needs to have her appraiser certification revoked and needs to go back to selling used cars.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to f5loar For This Useful Post:

Oh my. After watching it through (with mute on) sure looks to me like a late '20s Jr. The headstock logo appears more the painted silver "The Gibson" rather than the inlay. Although if someone disagrees, I won't object. Not so sure on the tuners, though, which should be the brass plate models from New York.

Definitely off on the price. Silly off, in fact.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

A similar thing happens occasionally at pawn shops -- they get a nice instrument but overprice it due to lack of that kind of specific knowledge. (sometimes a small town pawn shop is the ONLY appraiser for that region...) It used to happen more often, say 20-30 years ago, but the internet has made it easier for most people to look stuff up.

Years ago, I heard an interesting response to the question of "what is my instrument worth?" -- They said it all depends if you are buying, selling or want an appraisal for insurance purposes -- those are all very different values.

I forgot where I heard it, possibly from Gruhn......

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Platt View Post
    Oh my. After watching it through (with mute on) sure looks to me like a late '20s Jr. The headstock logo appears more the painted silver "The Gibson" rather than the inlay. Although if someone disagrees, I won't object. Not so sure on the tuners, though, which should be the brass plate models from New York.

Definitely off on the price. Silly off, in fact.

I agree and even commented on that page.

"Not to rain on your parade, Dr. Lori; perhaps some general educational information to help! From this view, that 20's Gibson A-Jr., even assuming top condition, is worth right around $1000 (generously). In that same category, an A-model, A-2, A-4, with the extra binding and inlay, might bring $2-3 K. With documentation, (internal labeling) proving it to be from the Lloyd Loar era ('22-'24), an A (with a snakehead head-stock), might bring $4-6 K."

People like Dr. Lori, who venture into unfamiliar areas, cause more harm than good to the overall community! It's easy to take some initiative and hold them accountable with some general, more accurate, information!
    Rush Burkhardt
    Towson, MD

Free opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them!

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rush Burkhardt For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    A similar thing happens occasionally at pawn shops -- they get a nice instrument but overprice it due to lack of that kind of specific knowledge. (sometimes a small town pawn shop is the ONLY appraiser for that region...) It used to happen more often, say 20-30 years ago, but the internet has made it easier for most people to look stuff up.

Years ago, I heard an interesting response to the question of "what is my instrument worth?" -- They said it all depends if you are buying, selling or want an appraisal for insurance purposes -- those are all very different values.

I forgot where I heard it, possibly from Gruhn......
    I have not only heard that “Value” scale and even used it more than once, both in instrument sales as well as jewelry! It tends to make the person on the other side of the item pause!
    Timothy F. Lewis

31. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

Well that was really painful. This is a version of the 'on the internet nobody knows you're a dog' problem. Nobody knows the depth of this appraiser's ignorance when it comes to musical instruments. Sheesh...
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox
    Twangbox Videos

33. The following members say thank you to BradKlein for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by BradKlein View Post
    Well that was really painful. This is a version of the 'on the internet nobody knows you're a dog' problem. Nobody knows the depth of this appraiser's ignorance when it comes to musical instruments. Sheesh...
    You bet!
    It makes me wonder what her credentials are? Or was she simply available and her white gloves were clean?
    Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should!
    Timothy F. Lewis

Even worse is the person that proudly shows you their latest "steal" and you have to tell them they were cheated.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

"I'd say that's worth, aahhhh, $7,000. You can tell by the Gibson craftsmanship." palm to face. ugh.

Someone is going to get ripped off by Dr. Lori, unfortunately.