Thread: Kentucky km-160

Default Kentucky km-160

Hi, I am a new member here. Just bought a used KM-160 Kentucky. It has a sunburst finish on the front only, no adjustment for the neck and made in Korea. The previous owner (2nd owner) had it for 15 years but has no idea its production date. Does anyone have an idea of its manufacture date. There is no serial #.

Thanks for any information

Default Re: Kentucky km-160

Production in Korea was moved to China some years ago however I don't remember when. Some Kentucky afficionado will chime in hopefully. Without a serial number, it may be impossible to nail down a manufacture date.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Sometimes, the best you can do with those is to match the details to catalog pages, advertisements, or dealer spec sheets. Things like headstock inlay designs, fretboard extensions or lack thereof, color of sunburst, type of tuners, and other such minutiae can get you in the ballpark, maybe within a couple of years. Robert Fear is a member here and a longtime Kentucky dealer. I hope he chimes in, he know more about this kind of stuff than anyone else I know. I think production switched from Korea to China somewhere around 2003 or so.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

4. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

lenf12 

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    Sometimes, the best you can do with those is to match the details to catalog pages, advertisements, or dealer spec sheets. Things like headstock inlay designs, fretboard extensions or lack thereof, color of sunburst, type of tuners, and other such minutiae can get you in the ballpark, maybe within a couple of years. Robert Fear is a member here and a longtime Kentucky dealer. I hope he chimes in, he know more about this kind of stuff than anyone else I know. I think production switched from Korea to China somewhere around 2003 or so.
    Thank you

I have that exact model, and I bought mine sometime between 93-95, and mine was also Korean made.

Thanks