Thread: Gelas mandolin family at Bernunzio's

Default Gelas mandolin family at Bernunzio's

OK, am I shilling for John Bernunzio, one of our local vintage dealers? Definitely not, although there's a super-graphic on one of his store windows, depicting me brandishing a Polk-A-Lay-Lee "surfer uke."

Received his weekly newsletter today, and it announced "an amazing collection of Lucien Gelas instruments" he had just obtained, with pic of Gelas mandolin, mandola, mandocello, guitar, and mando-bass. Don't seem to be up on his website as yet, but should there be someone out there, rich and afflicted with MAS, who hankers after a complete Gelas mandolin family -- plus a guitar -- apparently John's got 'em.

This was unusual enough to warrant a "heads up" to the vintage crowd, IMHO. Apologies for appearing to be a Bernunzio sales-person, which I'm not, but it's fun to live in a town where interesting vintage instruments show up regularly. Heck, I haven't even tried out John's Larson-attributed mandocello I posted earlier. Too much fun...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Gelas mandolin family at Bernunzio's

Here's a link to the set. https://bernunzio.com/product/gelas-family-26142/

Each item is also photographed and described separately.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gweetarpicker For This Useful Post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Very impressive....Thanks Allen and GwtrPkr.

Any idea how JB came to the set?

The "Hawaienne" guitar looks fascinating. I'd enjoy hearing that, and the mandocello.

Interesting that the Hawaiian music craze reached France as well. (I have a recording of a tango quartet from BA playing on Hawaiian guitars.)

Martin....I know you're following this thread, too. Did it sweep Germany as well?

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Hey, whatsa matter with you guys. You havta post at least on photo. This set will be sold very soon. I am sure that gweetarpicker is checking all his bank accounts. :-)

Frankly, these instruments are about the wackiest design ever made. Never sure what the point of it. I heard they don't sound bad but you have to stand up on your head to set them up properly.

Here is the group portrait:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gelas-set.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	2.38 MB 
ID:	179630
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Michael Reichenbach

One bass instrument like the one in this picture has been shown in this video:

It is played at the end of the video at ca. 4:10
    Homepage: www.mandoisland.de / Blog: www.mandoisland.com / Freiburg / Germany

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandoisland For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mandoisland View Post
    One bass instrument like the one in this picture has been shown in this video:
    Thanks for that link. I note that the video is titled "mandoloncello", but they never mention that name in the video, nor do they specify the tuning. It's four strings and played upright with an extendable spike, like a violoncello. CGDA single string tuning, I think, so basically an octave tenor guitar? Also interesting that this is a German-made Gelas instrument, the first I've heard about. For some reason, the two experts never mention the name "Gelas" and mention the soundboard construction only as an afterthought, after first discussing the headstock, neck and scratchplate shape ("typical Markneukirchen").

Martin

11. The following members say thank you to Martin Jonas for this post:

Michael Reichenbach

I do not think it's German, it's probably French, maybe made by Claude Patenotte. Patenotte uses the same headstock for his instruments.
    I'll check if this kind of double top instruments were ever made in Germany / Markneukirchen.
    Homepage: www.mandoisland.de / Blog: www.mandoisland.com / Freiburg / Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I am sure that gweetarpicker is checking all his bank accounts. :-)
    I take this comment back. Matthew (gweetarpicker) already has a complete set of these beauties. Check out this thread from a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by gweetarpicker View Post
    I actually have a set including a Gelas mandolin, mandola, mandocello, mandobass, classical guitar and Hawaiian guitar, and they all play and sound just fine. I especially like the mandobass, mandocello and mandola, and I am a big fan of the design in general.
    There is a great labeled cross-section photo that Martin Jonas posted in that thread.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2006.3.2_profil_annot%E9.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	179642

Here's the video that Matthew posted on that thread of him discussing and playing that mandocello. You can also see his Gelas mandobass.

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

The Gelas Hawaiian Guitar is dated 1920. Apparently the Hawaiian music fad was hitting Europe not long after the US mainland.

On a related note, Joseph Kekeku was born in Oahu in 1874 and is thought to have been the very first Hawaiian steel player. In 1919, he began an eight year tour of Europe with a Hawaiian themed Broadway show called "The Bird of Paradise" which helped popularize the instrument.

16. The following members say thank you to gweetarpicker for this post:

Gosh guys I guess I'm totally busted! Not sure if I’m breaking some rule by participating in this thread, but in full disclosure, the Gelas set is actually mine that I put on consignment with John. I’ve started thinning the herd a bit because frankly it got completely out of hand when I was writing the Vintage Fretted Instruments book. There is also a video of the mandobass.

All these instruments are great things, but I feel weird talking about them since they're up for sale, and of course, Bernunzio is officially handling all the questions and transactions and such.

18. The following members say thank you to gweetarpicker for this post:

Pretty cool to see the full set, and hear the videos! The mandolin is older and made by Gaudet; the rest seem to be made by Rovies

I've owned a 20's Rovies Gelas mandolin for about 10 years now, also from Bernunzio's, and am still fond of it and its distinctive voice that I think would translate well to the larger mandofamily instruments. It looks very much like the Gaudet mandolin. Later Gelas designs by other makers tend to look a little cruder. Regarding the comment above on setup - It's definitely not your standard setup job, and you'll likely need a creative luthier to sort it out. Tom Keating in NH worked on mine and greatly improved the playability. I think he enjoyed the challenge.

Fond though I may be, the $20k is not burning a hole in my pocket, but hopefully an enthusiast more affluent than I will take the plunge

Regards setup, the Gelas instruments at Bernunzio were put in good playing order by repairman/luthier, Mark Cigainero in Ft Worth, Texas. As I recall, he did fuss a little about them, but they turned out great.

Gelas mandobasses, mandochellos and guitars certainly do not come up for sale very often, but Gelas type mandolins (especially flatbacks) are readily available in Europe, sometimes for less than $200. I had one, it had a loud, but not a spectacular voice.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gweetarpicker View Post
    but in full disclosure, the Gelas set is actually mine that I put on consignment with John.....
    Like Quasimodo, I had a hunch......

Good luck with the sale....I hope someone buys them all and keeps the set together.

Did you acquire them separately or as an ensemble yourself?

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

If I recall correctly, the guitar, mandobass and mandolin were individual purchases, and the mandocello and mandola were bought together. Sometimes it takes a while to put a set together. They were all purchased and shipped from France a few years back. I had them all set up in excellent playing order and have had fun with them for sure The mandocello has a killer low end (check out the video starting at about the six minute mark on). The mandola is exceptional too. Maybe because it's a giant flattop, the mandobass seems to be a little louder and hold its own better when playing with other musicians than does my Gibson mandobass.

Yeah, it seems a shame to break up the set. There's a lot of time and expense involved in finding the pieces, and I hope someone out there takes them all and enjoys them as much as I have.