Thread: Skype Instruction on West Coast?

Default Skype Instruction on West Coast?

Any suggestions out there for good instructors that do Skype lessons on the west coast? My work schedule doesn't allow doing anything before about 7:30pm during the week and this is a little late for those out east.

Default Re: Skype Instruction on West Coast?

You should talk to Zak Borden - great teacher of bluegrass, irish and Choro. I'll message you his contact info. I study with him in Portland but I know he does Skype / Facetime lessons
    2003 John Sullivan F5 "Roy"
    2015 Heiden F Artist
    2019 Ruhland F5 #35

Not sure of the time but Pete Martin in Seattle teaches -

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/144044#144044

Tim Connell lives and teaches in Portland, OR as well.

Yes, I hear Tim is also a very good teacher...particularly if Choro is your thing
    2015 Heiden F Artist
    2019 Ruhland F5 #35

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

There's also Eli West in Seattle. Don't know if he's teaching or if he would do a Skype thing but might be worth connecting
    2015 Heiden F Artist
    2019 Ruhland F5 #35

Emory Lester does Skype lessons, check out his website and send him an email, super nice guy, top shelf player, and I hear an excellent teacher.

Might want to check with Sharon Gilchrist also, excellent teacher, and I think she does Skype classes.

Emory is on the east coast, not sure how well that timing would work. I'd tried contacting Sharon through the email/web form on her site, but the emails bounce back and no luck with the web form.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Stygobyte …. Emory Lester Sharon Gilchrist Andy Hadfield are all excellent mandolin teachers. Pete Martin has a large number of publications for sale on his site that are worth looking into. He also teaches on a SKYPE connection though I have not taken lessons with him. I had a workshop with Tim Connell and he is a fine player and solid teacher. Because of your time fram issues you may want to investigate "canned" lessons from Mike Marshall at ArtistWorks or Joe K. Walsh at Peghead Nation …. either are well done and informative. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Quote Originally Posted by UsuallyPickin View Post
    Stygobyte …. Emory Lester Sharon Gilchrist Andy Hadfield are all excellent mandolin teachers. Pete Martin has a large number of publications for sale on his site that are worth looking into. He also teaches on a SKYPE connection though I have not taken lessons with him. I had a workshop with Tim Connell and he is a fine player and solid teacher. Because of your time fram issues you may want to investigate "canned" lessons from Mike Marshall at ArtistWorks or Joe K. Walsh at Peghead Nation …. either are well done and informative. R/
    I'd add Peghead has Aaron Weinstein too - great courses from him.

OP:
    Where are you on the West Coast?
    Information on lessons, gigs, and misc musical stuff: www.mattcbruno.com
    Weekly free Mandolin Lessons: www.mattcbruno.com/weekly-posts/
    My gear and recommendations: www.mattcbruno.com/gear-recommendations/
    Cooking fun: www.mattcbruno.com/quarantine-cookbook/

Mando's in use
    Primary: Newson 2018
    Secondary: Gibson F9 2014
    Primary Electric: Jonathan Mann OSEMdc 5

Quote Originally Posted by Stygobite View Post
    Emory is on the east coast, not sure how well that timing would work. I'd tried contacting Sharon through the email/web form on her site, but the emails bounce back and no luck with the web form.
    you never know, emory might not mind a late night session, worth an email.

you might send Dan Gabel an email(peghead nation) and ask him to forward your question to Sharon regarding a Skype class-she teaches online classes at Peghead Nation. Have you thought about online? Sharons class is really top shelf. They also have Mike Compton, John Reischman,Joe Walsh, and a few other mando teachers.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Been doing the online classes for while, which has been good but I feel like it’s time to get a little more personalized feedback!

I would love to help out with this! I am a touring musician who moved to the west coast a month ago and looking to find some students to teach. Send me a message and we can chat about what you're looking for in a teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by UsuallyPickin View Post
    Stygobyte …. Emory Lester Sharon Gilchrist Andy Hadfield are all excellent mandolin teachers. Pete Martin has a large number of publications for sale on his site that are worth looking into. He also teaches on a SKYPE connection though I have not taken lessons with him. I had a workshop with Tim Connell and he is a fine player and solid teacher. Because of your time frame issues you may want to investigate "canned" lessons from Mike Marshall at ArtistWorks or Joe K. Walsh at Peghead Nation …. either are well done and informative. R/
    I just wanted to share that the although artist works has a program that involves “pre-planned” videos, you can send in videos of yourself and receive a personalized video in response. Plus you can see student/teacher response videos for any lesson. It is really quite practical and unique. It allows you to proceed on any schedule you prefer. I quite like my sessions with Caterina Lichtenberg.

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

I've found someone to try that can work with my schedule. I'm currently using Peghead nation, which I've liked in terms of content and style. Sometimes I get a little stuck on perfecting a lesson and don't move on fast enough or try enough different things. When I do move on I see bigger improvement. Wanting to try out the 1:1 lessons and see how it goes. Artist Works does seem interesting and kind of a middle ground, I might give it a try at some point. Thanks for the input and suggestions.

Wanted to give an update. I've been doing lessons with Emory Lester now for ~4 months now and it has made a big difference in my playing. Great teacher - funny, observant and patient. Definitely helped me focus on my weaker areas and not get stuck doing the same thing for too long. Been fun!

Glad it worked out, I’ve been Skyping with Emory for years now, he’s a great teacher and pretty accommodating schedule-wise.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7