Thread: House of the Rising Sun

Default House of the Rising Sun

I'm hoping to write an article about a club called the House of the Rising Sun, which was in Redondo Beach, Calif., in the late '60s and early '70s, and I'm looking for anyone who might have gone to shows there. I understand Aunt Dinah's Quilting Party may have played there. I know Steve Gillette did on several occasions. I hear rumors the Dillards did, as well. I thought I might have seen the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band there, but friends assure me the NGDB was not likely there. Would appreciate all responses.

Blog Entries

Default Re: House of the Rising Sun

Remember the Club well, was friends with owners and made club flyers
    to announce coming entertainers. Have live reel to reel tapes of Hoyt Axton,
    the Dillards, Steve Gillette, Aunt Dinah’s Quilting Party, etc.

Stewart Clay ran open mike (hoot night)

Al Dauray: e-mail: aldauray@sbcglobal.net

Quote Originally Posted by Aldoray View Post
    Remember the Club well, was friends with owners and made club flyers
    to announce coming entertainers. Have live reel to reel tapes of Hoyt Axton,
    the Dillards, Steve Gillette, Aunt Dinah’s Quilting Party, etc.

Stewart Clay ran open mike (hoot night)

Al Dauray: e-mail: aldauray@sbcglobal.net
    That's great. I had heard the Dillards were there but couldn't confirm it until now. Hoyt Axton was pretty big back then. That's great. You don't by any chance have copies of those flyers, do you? I'd be more than happy to pay for the copying and mailing.

Blog Entries

I can scan the flyers and e-mail as .jpg files. Were you around Redondo Beach or Orange County
    around that time 1968-1969? Did you know any of the Aunt Dinah’s Quilting Party?
    Which were formerly The Fly-By-Night Fleabags started by Ron LeGrand?

[QUOTE=Aldoray;872250]I can scan the flyers and e-mail as .jpg files. Were you around Redondo Beach or Orange County around that time 1968-1969? Did you know any of the Aunt Dinah’s Quilting Party? Which were formerly The Fly-By-Night Fleabags started by Ron LeGrand?

I would love .jpg files from there. I lived in Redondo Beach and then Hermosa Beach in those days and Manhattan Beach now. Been in the area since 1961. I know I saw Steve Gillette there. He confirms he played, I think, eight times there. He kept great notes. And a guy named Lee Elliott. I had no idea about Hoyt Axton. Didn't some of the owners belong to Aunt Dinah's? Any still in the area? I never heard of the Fly-By-Night Fleabags. The more data I can get on people who played there, the more likely I can persuade the magazine to run a story on it.

I saw the title of this thread and thought, "You know you can sing the words to 'O Little Town of Bethlehem' to the tune of 'The House of the Rising Sun.'" It's a seasonal affliction. No thread hijack intended.
    Brian T. Walker
    Down beside the Alamo
    In the Lone Star State

"Ignorance is when you don't know something and somebody finds it out."
    -- Kenneth "Jethro" Burns

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Jayandirene;872338]
    I can scan the flyers and e-mail as .jpg files. Were you around Redondo Beach or Orange County around that time 1968-1969? Did you know any of the Aunt Dinah’s Quilting Party? Which were formerly The Fly-By-Night Fleabags started by Ron LeGrand?

I would love .jpg files from there. I lived in Redondo Beach and then Hermosa Beach in those days and Manhattan Beach now. Been in the area since 1961. I know I saw Steve Gillette there. He confirms he played, I think, eight times there. He kept great notes. And a guy named Lee Elliott. I had no idea about Hoyt Axton. Didn't some of the owners belong to Aunt Dinah's? Any still in the area? I never heard of the Fly-By-Night Fleabags. The more data I can get on people who played there, the more likely I can persuade the magazine to run a story on it.

Blog Entries

Aunt Dinah’s Quilting Party played and started at Sid’s Blue Beat in Newport Beach before The Rising Sun.
    The Base player Mel Durham and the Lead Singer guitar player Tom Kuehl were the owners. The band later evolved into
    the Wild Oats Bluegrass band. The other 3 members Ron LeGrand Banjo, Richard McEwen Dobro & guitar and Tom Mullen Mandolin.
    I arranged a meeting with Tom, Mel (93 yrs old) and Tom Mullen earlier this year and since then Tom Kuehl and Mel have passed away. Tom Mullen lives in Arizona and has a Bluegrass band there. Ron the left handed banjo player died last year.
    I need your e-mail address to forward the old flyers, etc.

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Jayandirene;872338]
    I can scan the flyers and e-mail as .jpg files. Were you around Redondo Beach or Orange County around that time 1968-1969? Did you know any of the Aunt Dinah’s Quilting Party? Which were formerly The Fly-By-Night Fleabags started by Ron LeGrand?

Blog Entries

Question Re: House of the Rising Sun

Aunt Dinah’s Quilting Party played and started at Sid’s Blue Beat in Newport Beach before The Rising Sun.
    The Base player Mel Durham and the Lead Singer guitar player Tom Kuehl were the owners. The band later evolved into
    the Wild Oats Bluegrass band. The other 3 members Ron LeGrand Banjo, Richard McEwen Dobro & guitar and Tom Mullen Mandolin.
    I arranged a meeting with Tom, Mel (93 yrs old) and Tom Mullen earlier this year and since then Tom Kuehl and Mel have passed away. Tom Mullen lives in Arizona and has a Bluegrass band there. Ron the left handed banjo player died last year.
    I need your e-mail address to forward the old flyers, etc.

Blog Entries

Any further interest in House of the Rising Sun?

Any further interest in House of the Rising Sun?
    I never saw your last posting. Don't know what happened. Yes! I've found a little more information on the place. If I can get a picture or two of some of the fliers, or -- and this would be great -- a photo or two of the interior or exterior -- that might get it published for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayandirene View Post
    I'm hoping to write an article about a club called the House of the Rising Sun, which was in Redondo Beach, Calif., in the late '60s and early '70s, and I'm looking for anyone who might have gone to shows there. I understand Aunt Dinah's Quilting Party may have played there. I know Steve Gillette did on several occasions. I hear rumors the Dillards did, as well. I thought I might have seen the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band there, but friends assure me the NGDB was not likely there. Would appreciate all responses.
    I remember The House of the Rising Sun from 1967. Went there often. I definitely remember Stewart Clay as the emcee, and saw Aunt Dinah's Quilting Party there once. I would not swear to this, but seem to remember Jose Feliciano, with a very large guy carrying his guitar. I was in an amateur folk trio called Wes, Dave and Carl, and we performed a few songs there one Wednesday open mike night. We were three chemists who worked in the LA area. We had met while at San Diego State. I don't remember how we discovered HRS (as we abbreviated it). We even had Stewart Clay's album, with a clay bust of Stewart pictured on the cover. I wish I had seen Steve Gillette there. Heck, maybe I did. Don't remember seeing the Dirt Band or the Dillards there, but did see them in other venues.

I remember the banjo player from Aunt Dinah's Quilting Party worked at, or owned, a music store in Long Beach or Lakewood. I think the called their guitarist "the Human Slug".

If the memories keep flowing back, I'll keep responding. I would hope to get a copy of your article. And, as my favorite saying goes, "Just because I remember it doesn't mean it really happened."

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gentry View Post
    I remember The House of the Rising Sun from 1967. Went there often. I definitely remember Stewart Clay as the emcee, and saw Aunt Dinah's Quilting Party there once. I would not swear to this, but seem to remember Jose Feliciano, with a very large guy carrying his guitar. I was in an amateur folk trio called Wes, Dave and Carl, and we performed a few songs there one Wednesday open mike night. We were three chemists who worked in the LA area. We had met while at San Diego State. I don't remember how we discovered HRS (as we abbreviated it). We even had Stewart Clay's album, with a clay bust of Stewart pictured on the cover. I wish I had seen Steve Gillette there. Heck, maybe I did. Don't remember seeing the Dirt Band or the Dillards there, but did see them in other venues.

I remember the banjo player from Aunt Dinah's Quilting Party worked at, or owned, a music store in Long Beach or Lakewood. I think the called their guitarist "the Human Slug".

If the memories keep flowing back, I'll keep responding. I would hope to get a copy of your article. And, as my favorite saying goes, "Just because I remember it doesn't mean it really happened."
    With any luck at all, this link should take you to the story I wrote:

http://www.dailynews.com/arts-and-en...olk-music-club

With any luck at all, this link should take you to the story I wrote:

http://www.dailynews.com/arts-and-en...olk-music-club
    Last edited by Scott Tichenor; Oct-27-2013 at 10:06am. Reason: link was incorrectly copied resulting in 404 error

Many thanks!! It sounds like the layout of the club may have changed since I last saw it in '67, but the ambience (a word I would not have used back then) was the same. The beer and cigarette smoke!!! I'll forward this to Carl (the only one of our trio who location I know). I left for Northern New York for grad school, but Wes and Carl stayed on for a while. Carl later moved to Ohio, Wes to the Bay Area.

Thanks again,
    Dave

Would love a copy of your article on The House of the Rising Sun. I worked there as a bar maid my last year in college from 68 to June of 69. I have fond memories of listening to Jose Feliciano and the riveting voice of Hoyt Axton. Aunt Dinah's Quilting Party played often, but I can't remember if the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band played there. Hoot nights were fun, but featured artists really packed the house. Musically, it was an exciting time and for me, was more fun than work!

Hi everyone, I'm new here. This thread mentions Stewart Clay a few times and I'd like to know if anyone knows any recent info on him. Started following him in the early sixties when he was a regular at the Prison of Socrates in Balboa and the Ice House in Pasadena and yes I did see him once at the HRS. My friend Jack Pettee did the photo of his album cover. Love to have any info or updates on this fine entertainer.
    Thanks

Thanks for the article Jay. Although I've lived in the South Bay (Hermosa currently) since 1986, I had never heard of this place. Looking on Google maps it looks like the location is now Pats II and Zayna's Flaming Grill. I shopped at Go Boy Records at that site for many years.

I'm not sure why I haven't noticed this thread before.....sure brings back some memories. My brother and I went to the House of the Rising Sun a couple of times, I believe in early '72. One of those nights featured an "indoor" Bljuegrass festival, with several bands, including Wild Oats (Evan Anderson on mandolin), John Paganoni's band Poa Pratensis (Google this.....clever name), and closing the show was an early version of what may have been Country Gazette, with Byron Berline (fiddle and mandolin!), Roger Bush, Billy Ray, Skip Conover, and (as I recall) Doug Dillard.....they really lit up the place! Good times!

Just saw this - I worked at House of the Rising Sun as a barmaid from '68 -69, although I could hardly call it working. I loved being there. I remember Aunt Dinah's Quilting Party, Hoyt, who was a friend and Jose Feliciano playing there. Whoever has the video of Hoyt Axton, I would love to see it or buy a copy.

===========

Quote Originally Posted by B. T. Walker View Post
    I saw the title of this thread and thought, "You know you can sing the words to 'O Little Town of Bethlehem' to the tune of 'The House of the Rising Sun.'" It's a seasonal affliction. No thread hijack intended.
    You can also sing the words to the Gilligan's Island theme to the tune of 'Stairway To Heaven' . . . . hysterical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTCYLbFxTpI

I thought the House of The Rising Sun was in New Orleans.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

The Blind Boys of Alabama do Amazing Grace with Rising Sun melody.
    <><><>><<><><>
    Start slow, fade early